Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
The 2009 Nobel Prize in Literature
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Rupert Spedding (X)
Rupert Spedding (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
The Pendulum Oct 7, 2009

The Pendulum by Umberto Eco is one of the greatest books I've ever read. It's so complex and multi-layered but with beautifully simple messages. He uses the novel form to explore his world of semiotics in masterful fashion and I personally would like to shake his hand for that one.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:58
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Foucault's Pendulum Oct 7, 2009

Rupert Spedding wrote:

The Pendulum by Umberto Eco is one of the greatest books I've ever read. It's so complex and multi-layered but with beautifully simple messages. He uses the novel form to explore his world of semiotics in masterful fashion and I personally would like to shake his hand for that one.

Somebody in my school called it the DaVinci Code for grown-ups. I really enjoyed it too, unfortunately I never finished it because I lost it in a hotel. I keep saying I'm gonna buy a new copy but I always forget.

Edit: By the way, Umberto Eco recently published an article about the great Jose Saramago. It's actually the introduction to the Italian edition of Saramago's El Cuaderno, a compilation of his blog posts. The article is already translated in several languages, this is the Spanish version published in Elpais.es: Un 'bloguero' llamado Saramago. Saramago's blog (in Portuguese and Spanish): http://caderno.josesaramago.org/.

[Edited at 2009-10-07 03:21 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The only problem with Eco is... Oct 7, 2009

...that he quite simply did not write many books. Is a few books with an enormous quality enough for a Nobel prize? That is the question.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:58
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eco Oct 7, 2009

It would be a first because Eco's literary work is mostly on literary criticism. And he's written a lot of them. Who knows?

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some Nobel Prize trivia (a bit off topic) Oct 7, 2009

Hi,

I just read this thread, whose topic has become (to me at least) almost a yearly tribute from us Prozians to the Literature Nobel Prize (NP), so this time I decided to check the NP website to find out if there is any way of knowing who the actual nominees are for each prize.

Unfortunately, it seems this list is not available till a certain period (50 years) has passed, almost the time it takes for the CIA documents to be publicly disclosed (AFAIK). See: nobelprize.org/nomination/literature/database.html

I wonder what the reason for this is, other than not generating any media pressure on the jury, but I think it would be a lot more fun for us readers to at least get an idea of who is really nominated.

Anyway, I just made a search in the latest yearly list (1950) available of literature nominees:

nobelprize.org/nomination/literature/nomination.php?string=1950&action=simplesearch&submit.x=21&submit.y=9

And it is actually interesting to read and learn who has been nominated and by whom. The winner of 1950 (nominated in 1949) was William Faulkner, definitely a huge name in literature, but there are quite a lot of names I have never heard of, so it is also interesting to see that not only the more known "literature stars" are nominated.

So I will not make any bets about who will win (though maybe we could start a guessing game and use our brownieZ to bet, LOL!), because I think it is actually difficult to make bets without knowing all the horses running in the race (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Saluditos,

Ivette

[Edited at 2009-10-07 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A quiz? I'm in! Oct 7, 2009

Ivette, I think it is a great idea. Count me in!

How many browniz? Is 10 reasonable? Just a nominal amount, for the laughs.

If you think it is OK, my option is Umberto Eco.

(FYI: This is an edited response. I was cheeky and advanced a proposal about the quiz before giving Ivette the chance to develop and present her idea further. On top of it, I was clumsy and forgot to express that it was a proposal based on Ivette's idea, which of course was. My apologies
... See more
Ivette, I think it is a great idea. Count me in!

How many browniz? Is 10 reasonable? Just a nominal amount, for the laughs.

If you think it is OK, my option is Umberto Eco.

(FYI: This is an edited response. I was cheeky and advanced a proposal about the quiz before giving Ivette the chance to develop and present her idea further. On top of it, I was clumsy and forgot to express that it was a proposal based on Ivette's idea, which of course was. My apologies to Ivette and everyone!)

[Edited at 2009-10-07 11:49 GMT]
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
@ Tomás: about the quiz Oct 7, 2009

Just curious, Tomás, are you following up on my previously mentioned idea?

[P.S.: I now see that you edited your comment below, so great!]

Anyway, here is my bet (10 brownieZ):

Mario Vargas Llosa

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

First, I hope this is nothing illegal. In case it is or goes against the spirit of the site, please let me know and I will take this back.

Now, just for the fun of it, how about this:
1. Each of us interested in the quiz should state it clearly in this forum: "I take part in the quiz for the name of the Literature Nobel Prize 2009".

2. Each of those who take part name an author. If two or more people name the same author, any BrowniZ won in the quiz will be shared among the two.

3. Each of the participants makes a commitment to give the winner the agreed BrowniZ once the name is announced.

As this is simply symbolic, just for the laughs, and surely nobody wants to become rich out of this, I suggest a nominal number of 10 BrowniZ per participant.

Now, I take part in the quiz for the name of the Literature Nobel Prize 2009 and the author I think will win is Umberto Eco.

Come on guys! Jump in!

[Edited at 2009-10-07 11:28 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! Oct 7, 2009

ICL wrote:

Absolutely! I added a note a minute ago to state that I was following your idea. Sorry for not being more specific about it! No hard feelings!

ECO, ECO, ECOOOOOO!!!

Ivette Camargo López
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Oct 7, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

ICL wrote:

Absolutely! I added a note a minute ago to state that I was following your idea. Sorry for not being more specific about it! No hard feelings!

ECO, ECO, ECOOOOOO!!!

Of course, I think it's great that you actually followed up immediately, so, like I said, no biggie.

Apologies to the topic starter for the extra off-topic comments.

P.S.: I think we cannot actually give our browniez to other people, so this will be a rather symbolic bet/guessing quiz.

[Edited at 2009-10-07 11:26 GMT]

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:58
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Paul Auster Oct 7, 2009

I'm pretty sure he won't win, but Paul Auster would be the one to get my vote.

Diane Kenyon
Diane Kenyon  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Juan Goytisolo Oct 7, 2009

I agree, Eco is a fabulous and entertaining writer.

However, as Madeleine noted:

The criteria

Unlike other literary prizes/awards, the Nobel prize is supposed to be awarded to a writer who “shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction”. "Work" is understood to mean not a single work, but rather all work the author has completed to date.

Writing one or two enjoyable/interesting bo
... See more
I agree, Eco is a fabulous and entertaining writer.

However, as Madeleine noted:

The criteria

Unlike other literary prizes/awards, the Nobel prize is supposed to be awarded to a writer who “shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction”. "Work" is understood to mean not a single work, but rather all work the author has completed to date.

Writing one or two enjoyable/interesting books is therefore not enough, you have to produced a number of works which in some way add something new to the field of literature. And your production has to have "an ideal direction".

Bearing this in mind, surely Juan Goytisolo must definitely be line for the Nobel some time soon.
Collapse

Helena Genel
Helena Genel
United States
Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Carlos Fuentes Oct 7, 2009

please?

Take a look at this odds list from the site Ladbrokes.

http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_sports?action=go_generic_link&level=EVENT&key=213546033&category=SPECIALS&subtypes=&default_sort=&tab=undefined

According to this list, Fuentes odd
... See more
please?

Take a look at this odds list from the site Ladbrokes.

http://www.ladbrokes.com/lbr_sports?action=go_generic_link&level=EVENT&key=213546033&category=SPECIALS&subtypes=&default_sort=&tab=undefined

According to this list, Fuentes odds are 50/1
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another one for Kundera Oct 7, 2009

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Roomy Naqvy wrote:
Milan Kundera hasn't won the Nobel

Kundera would be a good choice, or one of the African writers. Japan has some great writers too, and I don't think a Japanese author has ever won the Nobel.

I'm not saying I think he'll get it this time; but rather, that I wish he would (have been wishing for 15 years now)...

Andrea

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Oct 7, 2009

Roomy Naqvy wrote:

You also have some writers who become more 'celebrated' due to marketing (and some are not 'celebrated' at all) because though Miguel Angel Asturias did get the Nobel but one hardly ever hears of him in these parts of the world. But I do believe that once you have read Asturias, you might not find our great Marquez (for whom I have a lot of respect) all that great.

I agree! I LOVE Miguel Ángel Asturias, whom I first read for a high-school assignment many years ago.

And along the lines of great ones who died without getting the Nobel, I'll add Julio Cortázar and W. Gombrowicz.

I'm half afraid that might also the fate of Milan Kundera (who is 80 now) and Margaret Atwood (who's still young, though). I'm also rooting for Haruki Murakami.

(aaaaand... I'm pleasantly surprised to see Julian Barnes in the odds list María linked)

Andrea

[Edited at 2009-10-07 20:33 GMT]

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
It's Herta Mueller, and she started as a translator!!!! Oct 8, 2009

It has just been announced. I am trying to get more info to post it here.

From the AP press release:
STOCKHOLM - Romanian-born German writer Herta Mueller won the 2009 Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday.

The Swedish Academy, which has picked the winner annually since 1901, said that Mueller "who with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed."

The prize includes a 10 million kronor ($1.4 mill
... See more
It has just been announced. I am trying to get more info to post it here.

From the AP press release:
STOCKHOLM - Romanian-born German writer Herta Mueller won the 2009 Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday.

The Swedish Academy, which has picked the winner annually since 1901, said that Mueller "who with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed."

The prize includes a 10 million kronor ($1.4 million) prize and will be handed out Dec. 10 in the Swedish capital.

From Wikipedia (I can't believe they already have her as the 2009 Nobel prize winner! These people work fast!)

Biography
Herta Müller was born in Niţchidorf, Timiş County, the daughter of Swabian farmers. She studied German studies and Romanian literature at the Timişoara University. In 1976, Müller began working as a translator for an engineering company, but was dismissed in 1979 for her refusal to cooperate with the Securitate, the Communist regime's secret police. Initially, she made a living by teaching kindergarten and giving private German lessons. Her first book was published in Romania (in German) in 1982, and appeared only in a censored version, as with most publications of the time.

In 1987, Müller left for Germany with her husband, novelist Richard Wagner. Over the following years she received many lectureships at universities in Germany and abroad. She currently lives in Berlin. Müller received membership of the German Academy for Writing and Poetry in 1995, and other positions followed. In 1997 she withdrew from the PEN centre of Germany in protest of its merge with the former German Democratic Republic branch.

In July 2008, Müller sent a critical open letter to Horia-Roman Patapievici, president of the Romanian Cultural Institute. This was in reaction to the support given by the institute to a Romanian-German Summer School involving two former informants of the Securitate.[1]

The Nobel Foundation awarded the Nobel Literature prize to Müller "who, with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessed."[2]
[edit]

Works
* Niederungen, short stories, censored version published in Bucharest 1982. Uncensored version published in Germany 1984. Published in English as Nadirs in 1999.[3]
* Drückender Tango ("Oppressive Tango"), stories, Bucharest 1984
* Der Mensch ist ein großer Fasan auf der Welt, Berlin 1986. Published in English as The Passport, Serpent's Tail, 1989 ISBN 9781852421397
* Barfüßiger Februar ("Barefoot February"), Berlin 1987
* Reisende auf einem Bein, Berlin 1989. Published in English as Traveling on One Leg, Hydra Books/Northwestern University Press, 1992.[4]
* Wie Wahrnehmung sich erfindet ("How Perception Invents Itself"), Paderborn 1990
* Der Teufel sitzt im Spiegel ("The Devil is Sitting in the Mirror"), Berlin 1991
* Der Fuchs war damals schon der Jäger ("Even Back Then, the Fox Was the Hunter), Reinbek by Hamburg 1992
* Eine warme Kartoffel ist ein warmes Bett ("A Warm Potato Is a Warm Bed), Hamburg 1992
* Der Wächter nimmt seinen Kamm ("The Guard Takes His Comb"), Reinbek by Hamburg 1993
* Angekommen wie nicht da ("Arrived As If Not There"), Lichtenfels 1994
* Herztier, Reinbek bei Hamburg 1994. Published in an English translation by Michael Hofmann as The Land of Green Plums, Metropolitan Books/Henry Holt & Company, New York, 1996[5]
* Hunger und Seide ("Hunger and Silk"), essays, Reinbek by Hamburg 1995
* In der Falle ("In a Trap"), Göttingen 1996
* Heute wär ich mir lieber nicht begegnet, Reinbek by Hamburg 1997. Published in English as The Appointment, Metropolitan Books/Picador, New York/London 2001
* Der fremde Blick oder das Leben ist ein Furz in der Laterne ("The Foreign View, or Life Is a Fart in a Lantern"), Göttingen 1999
* Im Haarknoten wohnt eine Dame ("A Lady Lives in the Hair Knot"), poetry, Reinbek by Hamburg 2000
* Heimat ist das, was gesprochen wird ("Home Is What Is Spoken There"), Blieskastel 2001
* Der König verneigt sich und tötet ("The King Bows and Kills), essays, Munich (and elsewhere) 2003
* Die blassen Herren mit den Mokkatassen ("The Pale Gentlemen with their Espresso Cups"), Munich (and elsewhere) 2005

[Edited at 2009-10-08 11:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-08 11:42 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 2009 Nobel Prize in Literature

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »