Lets translate the Canterbury Tales
Thread poster: LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 11, 2003

I don't know China really need a powwow. But that will be a great idea to meet all translators from around the whole China, ohh, let me count provinces, so many, more than 30. I'm not an official Chinese spokeman here, what I want to propose is we can have real fun if we, translators from all the proz communities will do something together, just imagine, how many translators here!

How about we each translate one historic long poem,or epic, for example The Canterbury Tales of Geoffre
... See more
I don't know China really need a powwow. But that will be a great idea to meet all translators from around the whole China, ohh, let me count provinces, so many, more than 30. I'm not an official Chinese spokeman here, what I want to propose is we can have real fun if we, translators from all the proz communities will do something together, just imagine, how many translators here!

How about we each translate one historic long poem,or epic, for example The Canterbury Tales of Geoffrey Chaucer into our own language one by one. Sound crazy?

Another option, translators with the same language pair do line translation in their language specific forum one by one, and then we combine. I think this is fantastic for translator to communicate and learn among ourselves. Of course we encourage creative translation.
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Powwow in China / Translation of Chaucer Sep 13, 2003

Firstly, I think it would be an excellent idea for translators in China to get together. I have been to a few powwows where I live Spain and they have been very positive for the profession. From the very first powwow we had motivated individuals to create a new translators association, which is now a reality. Why not try to do the same in China?

Good luck in your endeavors for translating Chaucer. I loved The Canterbury Tales when I was doing my undergraduate degree in General E
... See more
Firstly, I think it would be an excellent idea for translators in China to get together. I have been to a few powwows where I live Spain and they have been very positive for the profession. From the very first powwow we had motivated individuals to create a new translators association, which is now a reality. Why not try to do the same in China?

Good luck in your endeavors for translating Chaucer. I loved The Canterbury Tales when I was doing my undergraduate degree in General English at the University of Maryland. One of my favorites was The Knight's Tale because it poignantly illustrates how one can be free although he is in jail yet captive although he is free to roam the world.

Good luck,

Edward
Collapse

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's amazing Sep 15, 2003

Hi Edward,

I didn't mean I dislike such occasion. If we really have one that'll be nice. I will be fully committed to working as a full time freelancer again. I like meeting or communicating with other professionals in person.

Edward Potter wrote:

Good luck in your endeavors for translating Chaucer. I loved The Canterbury Tales when I was doing my undergraduate degree in General English at the University of Maryland. One of my favorites was The Knight's Tale because it poignantly illustrates how one can be free although he is in jail yet captive although he is free to roam the world.

Good luck,

Edward

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lets translate the Canterbury Tales

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »