Off topic: Latin American Authors
Thread poster: Sonia Gomes
Sonia Gomes
Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:47
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2003

I am truly crazy about Latin American authors, I love the Spanish as well as the Portuguese ones. Here in India they are virtually unknown, except for Isabel Allende. In addition whatever books can be obtained are translations in English, which although good do not convey the feeling and the nuances that make reading so very special. Is there any way I can get such books, I do not mind used books too, would the Embassies be able to help, I have even asked the Jesuits but have drawn a blank. Coul... See more
I am truly crazy about Latin American authors, I love the Spanish as well as the Portuguese ones. Here in India they are virtually unknown, except for Isabel Allende. In addition whatever books can be obtained are translations in English, which although good do not convey the feeling and the nuances that make reading so very special. Is there any way I can get such books, I do not mind used books too, would the Embassies be able to help, I have even asked the Jesuits but have drawn a blank. Could anyone help me please ?

Thanking in anticipation

Sonia
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Aug 23, 2003

It will be a pleasure to help you!

[email protected]

Au

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Well well... Aug 23, 2003

Sonia Gomes wrote:

I am truly crazy about Latin American authors, I love the Spanish as well as the Portuguese ones. Here in India they are virtually unknown, except for Isabel Allende. In addition whatever books can be obtained are translations in English, which although good do not convey the feeling and the nuances that make reading so very special. Is there any way I can get such books, I do not mind used books too, would the Embassies be able to help, I have even asked the Jesuits but have drawn a blank. Could anyone help me please ?

Thanking in anticipation

Sonia

Dear Sonia,

I'm in Delhi, which is the Indian capital...and you can find Garcia Marquez, Mario Vargas Llosa, Carlos Fuentes and Jorge Luis Borges very easily in any major bookshop. If you scout the city, you can get Cortazar's Hopscotch. Portuguese:: You can easily find Jose Saramago in Delhi. I found him. Yes, Fernando Pessoa would need much more effort.

You can try www.powells.com for used books and cheapest shipping rates. They are better than www.amazon.com and www.alibris.com

And certainly, one can always set up a mutual book exchange thing.

Best wishes
Roomy Naqvy

P.S. Aurora, I'm thanking you on Sonia's behalf.

Sonia Gomes
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 24, 2003

Aurora thank you very much I will certainly get in touch with you.

Naqvi, I live in Trivandrum Kerala, but am from Goa. Maybe in Delhi (it being the capital ) has a selection of Latin American Authors, but are these translations or are they the original in Spanish or Portuguese, I have read quite a number of the authors you mentioned translated into English, the Central Library here is one of the best.

I will give a good look at the Powells and I love the idea of a book
... See more
Aurora thank you very much I will certainly get in touch with you.

Naqvi, I live in Trivandrum Kerala, but am from Goa. Maybe in Delhi (it being the capital ) has a selection of Latin American Authors, but are these translations or are they the original in Spanish or Portuguese, I have read quite a number of the authors you mentioned translated into English, the Central Library here is one of the best.

I will give a good look at the Powells and I love the idea of a book swap. Incidentally in places such as Jaipur and Goa ( with a high influx of tourists ) all hotels have a swap section and I have swapped quite a lot of books this way.

Thank you very much

Regards

Sonia
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Translations etc Aug 24, 2003

Dear Sonia

If you wish to be selective about English translations, then certainly, there would be 'star translators' whose names you would find with some effort. For instance, Gregory Rabassa. And certainly, you will find that usually Marquez texts would have been translated by 'star translators'. With most established authors, established in their native countries, translations would be of a high quality. One instance is U R Ananthamurthy whose novel Samskara was translated by A K
... See more
Dear Sonia

If you wish to be selective about English translations, then certainly, there would be 'star translators' whose names you would find with some effort. For instance, Gregory Rabassa. And certainly, you will find that usually Marquez texts would have been translated by 'star translators'. With most established authors, established in their native countries, translations would be of a high quality. One instance is U R Ananthamurthy whose novel Samskara was translated by A K Ramanujan. Or say, O V Vijayan's Legends of Khasak, whom the author himself translated.

Certainly, finding books in Spanish and Portuguese in the Indian markets would be close to impossible. Yes, you may contact the embassies but then one need not always find a philanthropic soul around. For books in Spanish and Portuguese, it would be best to make connections with a person living there, who could coordinate things.

I thought Trivandrum was quite a hub. Atleast, I know someone who's related to Anand, who tells me that Trivandrum is quite a book hub.

By the way, I like being called 'Roomy'.
Collapse

Sonia Gomes
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Roomy Aug 24, 2003

Yes Trivandrum has the best library I have been to, the State Government Library, it has the best books ever. It is the type "All the books you wanted to read but never could find" But I am in search of the Originals, my sister managed to get me Jose Saramagos " A terra do Pecado" Not one of his best, in my opinion, in Japan !!I did read some Allende at CIEFL (Hyderabad) have drawn a blank with the others, Jorge Amado ( I love him)I would love his originals. Maybe I will tackle the Embassies.... See more
Yes Trivandrum has the best library I have been to, the State Government Library, it has the best books ever. It is the type "All the books you wanted to read but never could find" But I am in search of the Originals, my sister managed to get me Jose Saramagos " A terra do Pecado" Not one of his best, in my opinion, in Japan !!I did read some Allende at CIEFL (Hyderabad) have drawn a blank with the others, Jorge Amado ( I love him)I would love his originals. Maybe I will tackle the Embassies.

Regards

Sonia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latin American Authors

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »