Montefiore
Montefiore  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:21
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
My rouble into the treasury:) Aug 14, 2003

The Crown Department may be something like the Department of Treasury (Kaznacheistvo). Just a wild guess, like many others. It si obviously not important to the protagonists, as they are too busy ignoring the husband anyway:) Pardon the cynicism...Facts of life:)

classiq
classiq
English to Tamil
TOPIC STARTER
So which should be it? Aug 14, 2003

So do I need to pick the closest equivalent?

Thanks,
Diwakar

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 18:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Jean-Luc Aug 14, 2003

JLDSF wrote:

classiq:

I did not say that

First of all, thank you for wonderful posting. Second, I find it strange that we can't get an actual line from the Asker. Third, "will do" sounds kind of scary to me in perspective, especially when it comes to Chekhov. You know that Russians adore him, he a big part of our national pride and culture, every word of his. I'm sure you and all other Proz members have the same feelings about favorite national writers. We kind of don't want "will do", huh? In this case tax administration will NOT do, no fault of yours. Thank you again.

Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:21
English to French
+ ...
Spassiba Irene Aug 14, 2003

I agree "warmheartedly" with your comments.

This does not sound very respectful for the authors' works and for the educated Tamil readers... but I may be wrong...

In the 4 samples from the same passage I posted earlier, number 2 is by far superior in all aspects, I think, style and spirit.

My great-grand father Victor Koslov and my grandmother Marianna (fluent in French...
See more
I agree "warmheartedly" with your comments.

This does not sound very respectful for the authors' works and for the educated Tamil readers... but I may be wrong...

In the 4 samples from the same passage I posted earlier, number 2 is by far superior in all aspects, I think, style and spirit.

My great-grand father Victor Koslov and my grandmother Marianna (fluent in French left Moscow and Russia...in 1917...I forgot why...
They moved to Istanbul (Turkey) where she lived for years before moving to Paris. When I was a teenager she would write to me and send me books by Russian writers. It was like a religion to her. She made me read most of the Russian classics (But I read them in French - no Russian classes in the small town where I grew up)

Until next time

Jean-Luc

[Edited at 2003-08-15 22:16]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chekhov story: what's Crown Department?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »