Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 13:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 12, 2009

You may all know about this already, but it was new to me:
http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/index.php?s=btb

The voting goes on, the shortlist will be announced on January 27, final results: 19th of February.
Any Prozians among the translators?

Alison Anderson
Alison Anderson  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to English
Elegance of the Hedgehog Jan 12, 2009

Hi Eva and fellow Prozians,

I am the translator of "Elegance of the Hedgehog," one of the books shortlisted for the Best Translated Book Award by Three Percent/Open Letter.

They have a great website, truly inspiring and I'm delighted the book was nominated.

Muriel Barbery's novel has been fantastically successful in France, but I discovered it before it really "took off", and loved it so much that I went through the hoops to find out who would be publishing
... See more
Hi Eva and fellow Prozians,

I am the translator of "Elegance of the Hedgehog," one of the books shortlisted for the Best Translated Book Award by Three Percent/Open Letter.

They have a great website, truly inspiring and I'm delighted the book was nominated.

Muriel Barbery's novel has been fantastically successful in France, but I discovered it before it really "took off", and loved it so much that I went through the hoops to find out who would be publishing it in English. I am very gratified it's been doing well in English, too.

I tell people that they shouldn't be put off by the fact it's a bestseller (!) (for some reason many people assume "literary" translations should be like obscure art house cinema...) , it is a quirky and enjoyable novel, and it was just as enjoyable to translate, though not always easy!

I've been a member of Proz for a few years now, and it helped me find the courage to quit my dayjob and go full-time freelance. I prefer to do literary translation when I can but projects like "the Hedgehog" are probably once in a lifetime...
Collapse

Lily Bian
Lily Bian
China
Local time: 20:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why Noble Literature Award is so elusive to Chinese writers Jan 18, 2009

dear Alison
your statement reminds me of many things on Chinese-English literature translations.For decades, even centuries countless people with yellow face and black hair have been cherishing and toiling for a same dream, to push the beauty of graph literature in front of the spelling literature readers.However,many of English editions unavoidable lost their oringinal relish due to the gigantic gap exists in mind between two groups. Actually, literature in any language form should be the
... See more
dear Alison
your statement reminds me of many things on Chinese-English literature translations.For decades, even centuries countless people with yellow face and black hair have been cherishing and toiling for a same dream, to push the beauty of graph literature in front of the spelling literature readers.However,many of English editions unavoidable lost their oringinal relish due to the gigantic gap exists in mind between two groups. Actually, literature in any language form should be the cream of the clture it represents. On the other hand, lots of masterpiece written in English can hardly find its counterpart vehicled by Chinese.Maybe that is why the Noble Literature Award is so elusive to Chinese writers.Maybe I talk too much so I really need to do something for it.
Collapse

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Congratulations! Jan 18, 2009

Alison Anderson wrote:

Well done, Alison! And who knows?

Best,
Aniello

[Edited at 2009-01-18 16:52 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thank you, Eva. Jan 18, 2009

Eva Blanar wrote:

You may all know about this already, but it was new to me:
http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/index.php?s=btb

The voting goes on, the shortlist will be announced on January 27, final results: 19th of February.
Any Prozians among the translators?

Who will win?
I have bookmarked this link

Best,
Aniello

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Translated Book 2008

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »