Thread poster: sozana (X)
sozana (X)
sozana (X)
Local time: 14:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 3, 2008

Hello All,
I'm a student of translation and i'm going to start a study concerned in translation intertextuality in Arabic poetry as a requirement of graduation. in fact, i'm so confused and dont know how to begin, so i need the help from those who are interested in this subject or anyone can show me the right way and guide me well. i need to know how this subject should be studied, how it should be discussed and how i should analyse the data and discuss it. tell me please if it is right to
... See more
Hello All,
I'm a student of translation and i'm going to start a study concerned in translation intertextuality in Arabic poetry as a requirement of graduation. in fact, i'm so confused and dont know how to begin, so i need the help from those who are interested in this subject or anyone can show me the right way and guide me well. i need to know how this subject should be studied, how it should be discussed and how i should analyse the data and discuss it. tell me please if it is right to study the effect produced on the source reader of the intertextual expressions in comparison to that produced of the target reader of the translated same intertextual expressions.
any suggestions or ideas are welcomed.
thank you all
Collapse

Tetyana Dytyna
Tetyana Dytyna  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:56
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
published research on the problem Nov 4, 2008

Sozana

Intertextuality is a promising direction in translation studies. I once wrote a master's paper on it for my university.

Here are some of the sources that I used. They provide quite good insights into the problem of intertextuality in general and in Tr St in particular:

Leppihalme, R. (1997) Culture Bumps: An empirical approach to the translation of allusions. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

J. Clayton and E. Rothstein, eds. Influence
... See more
Sozana

Intertextuality is a promising direction in translation studies. I once wrote a master's paper on it for my university.

Here are some of the sources that I used. They provide quite good insights into the problem of intertextuality in general and in Tr St in particular:

Leppihalme, R. (1997) Culture Bumps: An empirical approach to the translation of allusions. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.

J. Clayton and E. Rothstein, eds. Influence and Intertextuality in Literary History. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press

Neubert, A. and Shreve, G. (1992). Translation as Text. Kent/ London: The Kent State University Press.

There might have appeared newer research - browse the resourses available to you. You are also welcome to contact me directly (contacts available in the profile) if you need advice in the course of your work.

And these are sample essays done by Helsinki university students on the translation of allusions. And they are worth looking at:

https://oa.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/6107/translat.pdf?sequence=1

http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/hum/engla/pg/salo-oja/lostintr.pdf

[Edited at 2008-11-04 06:46]
Collapse

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 06:56
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Sozana Nov 4, 2008

I'd be happy to give you a hand as well, as I worked on Intertextuality extensively for my Ph.D. thesis. Feel free to write me through my profile here and I'll find you some more resources, or we can talk if you like.
Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

need a help regarding " Translation and Intertextuality"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »