Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:28
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 8, 2008

The Nobel Prize of Literature is announced tomorrow "Thursday, October 9, 1:00 p.m. CET at the earliest."

Who do you think deserves or will win this year's Nobel Prize?

As I do every year, I'm rooting for Mario Vargas Llosa, but I also like Philip Roth and a fellow translator, Richard Howard.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:28
Italian to English
In memoriam
Hi Claudia Oct 8, 2008

I think we can rule out Philip Roth, if the rest of the Nobel award committee is as provincial as its permanent secretary:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/oct/01/nobelprize.usa

I agree with you about Vargas Llosa, though. Conversación en La Catedral, like Cien años de soledad or Los ríos profundos, is one of those marvellous South American novel
... See more
I think we can rule out Philip Roth, if the rest of the Nobel award committee is as provincial as its permanent secretary:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/oct/01/nobelprize.usa

I agree with you about Vargas Llosa, though. Conversación en La Catedral, like Cien años de soledad or Los ríos profundos, is one of those marvellous South American novels that you can read and reread with undiminished pleasure.

Saludos,

Giles
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
At the risk of getting into muddy waters here... Oct 8, 2008

... I fear that Vargas Llosa will be an eternal contender but never winner, for his political rightish sympathies. I hope I'm mistaken.

PS: I am rooting for Milan Kundera, as usual. I don't lose hope

[Edited at 2008-10-08 20:07]

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Oct 8, 2008

ariffo wrote:

... I fear that Vargas Llosa will be an eternal candidate but never winner, for his political rightish sympathies.

I think Jorge Luis Borges and Ezra Pound would agree with that.

Thanks for the link Giles, I hadn't read that article. I really hope that's the opinion of just one person, or at least a few people. I think this kind of conduct only hurts the reputation of the already-criticized Nobel Committee.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Peru, Velasco and Vargas Llosa Oct 8, 2008

Hi again, Claudia.

You might not agree but it seems to me that Vargas Llosa is regarded as right-wing because when he was young - and, like most young people, inclined to criticise the local regime - Peru was run by Velasco's left-wing military dictatorship.

In most other South American countries, he would have been protesting against the sort of far-right regimes that the committee hates so much, and he would probably have won the Nobel Prize ages ago as a result.
... See more
Hi again, Claudia.

You might not agree but it seems to me that Vargas Llosa is regarded as right-wing because when he was young - and, like most young people, inclined to criticise the local regime - Peru was run by Velasco's left-wing military dictatorship.

In most other South American countries, he would have been protesting against the sort of far-right regimes that the committee hates so much, and he would probably have won the Nobel Prize ages ago as a result.

Just a thought,

Giles
Collapse

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 06:58
English to Tamil
+ ...
Better late than never! Oct 9, 2008

In my humble opinion, Mario Vargas Llosa deserves Nobel Literature Prize more than others.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
Vargas Llosa Oct 9, 2008

It would be great if Mario Vargas Llosa won the prize. I loved "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter," an older book of his, but well worth reading.

I see that Ian McEwan's name is also being mentioned as a possible candidate - I enjoyed some of his books too, "Amsterdam," "Saturday," and "Atonement." He would be good choice for the Nobel Prize too, although I don't think he's been writing for as long as some of the others.

Melanie Wittwer
Melanie Wittwer  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:28
English to German
+ ...
McEwan Oct 9, 2008

Ian McEwan seems like a good choice. And he has been around for more than 30 years. Although, I prefer his earlier works.

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Some names Oct 9, 2008

1. Llosa
2. Ha Jin
3. Kundera

Any surprises? But possible ones-->

1. Ngugi Wa Thiong'o
2. Nuruddin Farah

I would be shocked by-->

1. Salman Rushdie!

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
More on Mario Vargas Llosa Oct 9, 2008

Following up on Giles' and Claudia's comment about Vargas Llosa, I just wanted to add that last night I re-watched the movie about Idi Amin's life, in which Forrest Whitaker brilliantly plays Idi Amin. This reminded me of some of the terrible political regimes we had back in the 70's, not only in Africa, but also in Latin America, as already mentioned.

So upon reading this thread, it made me think that, as far as I know, Vargas Llosa has never "taken sides" with any dictator or tota
... See more
Following up on Giles' and Claudia's comment about Vargas Llosa, I just wanted to add that last night I re-watched the movie about Idi Amin's life, in which Forrest Whitaker brilliantly plays Idi Amin. This reminded me of some of the terrible political regimes we had back in the 70's, not only in Africa, but also in Latin America, as already mentioned.

So upon reading this thread, it made me think that, as far as I know, Vargas Llosa has never "taken sides" with any dictator or totalitarian ruler and he has always been critical of authoritarian regimes, whether they are right or left. It's true that he has shown affinity with some right-wing politicians, but, again, as far as I know, these are democratic politicians. For example, the ex-Spanish president José María Aznar, but in this case I believe mostly because of their economic principles' affinities.

Furthermore, if you follow his articles in the newspapers and the contents of many of his books, he certainly cannot be "coined" as a mere right-wing sympathizer. He has stated himself many times that he considers himself a "liberal", probably in the John Locke sense of the word, especially since Vargas Llosa has lived in the UK for many years and is probably very influenced by the political tradition of this country.

So it is certainly always amazing that, because of this obvious "political correctness" of the jury in charge of choosing the Nobel Prize for literature, the prize is sometimes awarded to some rather "unreadable" authors (like the Austrian writer Elfriede Jelinek) or, like in the case of Günter Grass, authors who also have had a polemic past (although in this case this was known after the prize was awarded), while some other really transcendental and talented authors like Mario Vargas Llosa (or Borges!!!) are ignored.

I mean, wasn't Thomas Mann your typical "bourgeois" (ergo, economically "right wing") character? If they awarded him the prize only because he was against Hitler and overlooked his economic background, why can't Vargas Llosa be awarded the prize?

I hope this changes one day, if only for the prize to be truly "universal".
Collapse

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
When? Oct 9, 2008

The time on the Nobel website http://nobelprize.org/ is 1.01 pm--1 minute beyond the 1.00 pm deadline.

So, when are they announcing it?

Melanie Wittwer
Melanie Wittwer  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 13:28
English to German
+ ...
Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio Oct 9, 2008

Congratulations. Maybe I'll try and find out who that is.

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio Oct 9, 2008

That's the 2008 winner. Who's this person?

Please pardon my ignorance.

Roomy Naqvy
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
On Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio Oct 9, 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Marie_Gustave_Le_Clézio

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Who? Oct 9, 2008

Well I didn't know him either. Next stop: Amazon.com.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2008 Nobel of Literature is announced tomorrow

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »