https://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/11706-umberto_eco_on_the_art_of_creating_a_legend_translation_and.html&phpv_redirected=1

Umberto Eco on the art of creating a legend, translation and...
Thread poster: DGK T-I
DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:58
Georgian to English
+ ...
Jun 10, 2003

Umberto Eco on the art of creating a legend, translation and what distinguishes 'literature' from 'light fiction'?
Umberto Eco looks to the past for an answer.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,758139,00.html

Giuli

[Edited at 2003-06-10 12:55]

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:58
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thank you, Giuli! Jun 10, 2003

It is well worth reading.
Attila

DGK T-I
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm glad you enjoyed it as well ! Jun 12, 2003

Attila Piroth wrote:

It is well worth reading.
Attila

You are very kind.

Katherine Zei
Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:58
Italian to English
+ ...
Extremely interesting! Jun 17, 2003

Thanks for sharing. One thing: They didn't cite who translated the article!

Too bad.

Also, the article seems slightly truncated. One gets the feeling that it had to be edited heavily for length. The final phrase leaves one expecting examples.

Just an observation. Ciao!
Katy

DGK T-I
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you're right, and yes - what a shame the translator wasn't credited Jun 17, 2003

Katherine Zei wrote:

Thanks for sharing. One thing: They didn't cite who translated the article!

Too bad.

Also, the article seems slightly truncated. One gets the feeling that it had to be edited heavily for length. The final phrase leaves one expecting examples.

Just an observation. Ciao!
Katy

I'll try and find out who did it.
(I don't know if you already know this in Italian, but it amused me..... http://www.simongrant.org/web/eco.html
)

Giuli

[Edited at 2003-06-18 08:01]

Cecilia Di Vita
Cecilia Di Vita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
I suspect... Jun 26, 2003

I suspect this is taken from Eco's last book, which has recently been published in Italy (Bompiani), and which is called "Dire quasi la stessa cosa". However, if it's not exactly the same passage, there's a chapter dedicated to the Count of Montecristo, which he started to translate but eventually gave up.
I've just started reading this book but I recommend you to read it (if you can!), because it is extremely useful, since it tries to elaborate a sort of "translation theory", but exclusi
... See more
I suspect this is taken from Eco's last book, which has recently been published in Italy (Bompiani), and which is called "Dire quasi la stessa cosa". However, if it's not exactly the same passage, there's a chapter dedicated to the Count of Montecristo, which he started to translate but eventually gave up.
I've just started reading this book but I recommend you to read it (if you can!), because it is extremely useful, since it tries to elaborate a sort of "translation theory", but exclusively based on real experiences of translation.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Cecilia
Collapse

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:58
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Fascinating reading, thank you! Jul 6, 2003

I calculated that I had saved the reader at least 25% reading time by shortening Dumas's language. But then I realised that it was exactly those extra words and repetition that had a fundamental strategic function ..

Food for thought, people!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Umberto Eco on the art of creating a legend, translation and...

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »