Words that exist in only one language.
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
PaLa
PaLa
Germany
Local time: 04:37
German to English
British and Irish Geisterfahrer Oct 30, 2001

British drivers \"on the continent\" for the first time sometimes turn into \"Geisterfahrer\". They wonder why everyone else is driving on the wrong side of the road.

There was a case in the rural west of Ireland a few years ago, when a calf which was trussed up in the back seat of a farmer\'s car got free of its bounds and leapt onto the driver\'s shoulders... Apparently no-one was seriously hurt (but I don\'t know if that includes the calf). This was reported in a German n
... See more
British drivers \"on the continent\" for the first time sometimes turn into \"Geisterfahrer\". They wonder why everyone else is driving on the wrong side of the road.

There was a case in the rural west of Ireland a few years ago, when a calf which was trussed up in the back seat of a farmer\'s car got free of its bounds and leapt onto the driver\'s shoulders... Apparently no-one was seriously hurt (but I don\'t know if that includes the calf). This was reported in a German newspaper, and the unfortunate farmer was referred to as a \"Geisterfahrer\" (he drifted onto the other carriageway while trying to fight off the animal\'s embrace...)

In short, Daina, a \"Geisterfahrer\" is not necessarily acting with intent!

Quote:

On 2001-10-25 05:15, Daina wrote:

Can the concept of a Geisterfahrer be an accidental phenomenon as well or is it always someone acting with intent?

By the way, or a classic example of playing chicken with cars, see the movie \"Rebel Without a Cause\" (they\'re not on the highway, though!)

Daina

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-31 03:14 ]Collapse

PaLa
PaLa
Germany
German to English
Gemütlichkeit (German) Oct 31, 2001

LEO lists cosiness (or coziness), snugness and sociability as English translations for this term, but none of these really capture the full sense of the word. The nimbus of associations is just impossible to convey. It has something to do with the feeling of being at home, or in a pleasant and comfortable place, but can also denote a trait of character (e.g. as in \"ein gemütlicher Dicker\" - an amiable fat guy). Depending on the context, and who\'s saying it to whom, \"Gemütlichkeit\" can als... See more
LEO lists cosiness (or coziness), snugness and sociability as English translations for this term, but none of these really capture the full sense of the word. The nimbus of associations is just impossible to convey. It has something to do with the feeling of being at home, or in a pleasant and comfortable place, but can also denote a trait of character (e.g. as in \"ein gemütlicher Dicker\" - an amiable fat guy). Depending on the context, and who\'s saying it to whom, \"Gemütlichkeit\" can also have negative connotations - stodginess, stuffiness, laziness, complacency, boredom, etc.Collapse

International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
English to French
+ ...
About "untranslatables" Oct 31, 2001

The on-going discussion on \"untranslatables\" is a very interesting one, indeed. Let me add my modest contribution.

I\'ve been translating a lot of anthropology-related literature from English into French and from Berber (ancient but still alive language of North Africa)into French.

In my opinion, the \"degré zéro\" of words is that they are meaningless by themselves - no \"signifiant\" without a \"signifié\". An example in point is the notion of \"
... See more
The on-going discussion on \"untranslatables\" is a very interesting one, indeed. Let me add my modest contribution.

I\'ve been translating a lot of anthropology-related literature from English into French and from Berber (ancient but still alive language of North Africa)into French.

In my opinion, the \"degré zéro\" of words is that they are meaningless by themselves - no \"signifiant\" without a \"signifié\". An example in point is the notion of \" boredom\" and the word itself: they simply do not translate appropriately into languages - I mean cultures - that do not experience this state of mind called \"being bored\". The people of Kabylie (North of Algeria) invented a word for it called \"affalti\" in order to transmit the very French notion of \"ennui\".

On a different register, the so-called ancient languages are more concrete than the \"modern\" ones. In other words, the older the language is the more concrete it it. Hence a closer relationship between \"signifiant\" and \"signifié\". One example for that, again in Kabylian Berber (North of Algeria) is: \"igenni\" which simply \"sky\". The difference being that there is no obvious connection between the word \"sky\" and what it refers to. Whereas in Berber, the word \"igenni\" translates/transliterates as \"what is above my head\", thus, \"sky\".

An other example of an \"untranslatable\" notion is the French Romanticist word \"spleen\" (Baudelaire) that one can hardly translate into a language/culture that has not had any romanticist literature tradition. Generally, concepts, abstractions and notions are rendered are near or approximate equivalencies. Thus, the additional input of the translator is important.

Rachid TITOUAH

[email protected]

Collapse

Jevgenijs Cernihovics
Jevgenijs Cernihovics
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:37
English to Latvian
+ ...
More words Nov 2, 2001

Amazing

Quote:

On 2001-06-24 05:15, Henry wrote:

As an extension of my \"untranslatables\" topic, I am interested in hearing about words that may be unique to one language.

JC>>> Well, Henry. There are lots of such fords in every language. Because every nation considered themselves the only people with ability to call things thousands of years ago.

I\'ll start with a few t... See more
Amazing

Quote:

On 2001-06-24 05:15, Henry wrote:

As an extension of my \"untranslatables\" topic, I am interested in hearing about words that may be unique to one language.

JC>>> Well, Henry. There are lots of such fords in every language. Because every nation considered themselves the only people with ability to call things thousands of years ago.

I\'ll start with a few terms from Japanese:

wabi + sabi

JC>>> The initial term, however is \"wa\"

Quote:

Can anyone offer other language-specific words?

Sure

Russian sticky combinations are totally untranslatable. I spent some time in Pskov Region of Russia - one of the poorest regions in the world, perhaps. But their language is extremely rich and sounds very ancient and basic. However this content will be considered offensive - I am not sure I am eligible to post them here

Jevgen ▲ Collapse

tasman (X)
tasman (X)
English to Dutch
+ ...
gezellig Nov 5, 2001

A very infamous untranslatable Dutch word. Gezellig means anything from having a good time to cosy to homely. It is a fundamental word used every day. When something is gezellig it is typically Dutch, e.g. eating dough balls with raisins deep-fried in hot oil on New Years Eve is a very gezellige tradition.

Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Lehisdangev Nov 20, 2001

I don\'t remember much Hebrew, but I heard this word in Israel once, about 30 years ago. It means \"to stroll down Disengoff Avenue\" (in Tel Aviv... sorry if I\'m misspelling it, it\'s been a long time

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Geisterfahrer Nov 24, 2001

As the name suggests, these are not humans of flesh and bones, so you can expect almost anything.
[addsig]

Lori Dendy-Molz
Lori Dendy-Molz  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Geisterfahrer Dec 27, 2001

Most Geisterfahrer are either drunk or attempting suicide, according to a study a few years back by Germany\'s auto association (ADAC). Some are elderly and simply can\'t see the signs well. The rest must be inexperienced drivers or tourists, if I had to guess.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
Geisterfahrer Jan 7, 2002

Quote:

On 2001-12-27 18:17, idwerk wrote:

Most Geisterfahrer are either drunk or attempting suicide, according to a study a few years back by Germany\'s auto association (ADAC). Some are elderly and simply can\'t see the signs well. The rest must be inexperienced drivers or tourists, if I had to guess.

\"Geisterfahrer\" are motorists who, for whatever reason, end up on the wrong on-ramp and, ... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-27 18:17, idwerk wrote:

\"Geisterfahrer\" are motorists who, for whatever reason, end up on the wrong on-ramp and, thus, the wrong lane. Most of them are tourists or drunk drivers (or those that have problems driving in the dark - I don\'t put much stock in the suicide theory, though).

This discussion has been going on for over 10 years, and no one has found any good word for it in English. I suppose the best thing is to leave the German word and add a brief explanation in English. ▲ Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Geisterfahrer = spookrijder in Dutch Jan 12, 2002

In Dutch, we use \'spookrijder\'. It has the exact same meaning as \'Geisterfahrer\' and it is in fact a literal translation.

vesparosa (X)
vesparosa (X)
Italian to English
Goloso Feb 28, 2002

Italian has a few of those niggly untranslateables - I have my personal hates, but this one is fun.... some translate it as \"greedy\", or \"having a sweet tooth\", but neither of them really hit the mark..

Another is \"fare un giro\" - and that\'s something truly Italian! It\'s when the whole town/city pours out on to the streets around 3.30/4pm, usually in their best clothes and with the purpose of showing them off.

The nearest I can get for non-ITalian speakers
... See more
Italian has a few of those niggly untranslateables - I have my personal hates, but this one is fun.... some translate it as \"greedy\", or \"having a sweet tooth\", but neither of them really hit the mark..

Another is \"fare un giro\" - and that\'s something truly Italian! It\'s when the whole town/city pours out on to the streets around 3.30/4pm, usually in their best clothes and with the purpose of showing them off.

The nearest I can get for non-ITalian speakers is something like \"take a walk around\", or \"go for a ride\", \'cos it can be done by car/scooter too...
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OK, another one: HINANAKIT (Tagalog, stress on the last syllable) Mar 8, 2002

Have you ever forgotten your mother\'s birthday, and she didn\'t say anything but prepared a special dinner for you anyway? And she adores you as much as she has before, but it pains her and she won\'t take it out on you. She will remember because it was painful, but she will forgive and that doesn\'t stop it from smarting. What she feels is \"hinanakit\", which has nothing at all to do whatsoever with vengeance and petty resentments. (I.e., if a total stranger stepped on your toes, you wouldn\'... See more
Have you ever forgotten your mother\'s birthday, and she didn\'t say anything but prepared a special dinner for you anyway? And she adores you as much as she has before, but it pains her and she won\'t take it out on you. She will remember because it was painful, but she will forgive and that doesn\'t stop it from smarting. What she feels is \"hinanakit\", which has nothing at all to do whatsoever with vengeance and petty resentments. (I.e., if a total stranger stepped on your toes, you wouldn\'t feel this because you didn\'t love him).Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Are there any truly TRANSLATABLE words? Mar 11, 2002

Every single term in any given language is imbued with the whole culture from which that language arose. We as translators can only ever approximate the meaning.

However, some words are easier to translate, and others are harder. Here is a notoriously difficult one in Hebrew:

havay (pronounced like Hawaii, with v replacing the w).

My dico renders it as \'way of life, cultural pattern, folkways\'. This only touches on its meaning, which is everything you e
... See more
Every single term in any given language is imbued with the whole culture from which that language arose. We as translators can only ever approximate the meaning.

However, some words are easier to translate, and others are harder. Here is a notoriously difficult one in Hebrew:

havay (pronounced like Hawaii, with v replacing the w).

My dico renders it as \'way of life, cultural pattern, folkways\'. This only touches on its meaning, which is everything you experience as a person within that culture. And then there is \'erev havay\' - a \'havay evening\' - which is even worse. It can be any social event (taking place in the evening, of course) in which a deliberate focus exists on the common culture.

Can anyone suggest a concise English translation? I am stumped.
[addsig]
Collapse

Marta Argat
Marta Argat  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:37
Chinese to Ukrainian
+ ...
ͳâðîêó (Cyrillic Windows encoded) Nivroku Mar 13, 2002

In Ukrainian this adverb or interjection (as well) signifies a positive stable situation, like \"He already _nivroku_ has a good house.\" or \"She is _nivroku_ a big girl.\" On the other hand, the word derives from \"have your fingers crossed\" and is said in a hope that prosperity or any other positive thing will continue. Sometimes it is also used ironically. However translating it either like \"He already _well_ has a good house\" (?!) or \"He has a good house, _have your fingers crossed_\" m... See more
In Ukrainian this adverb or interjection (as well) signifies a positive stable situation, like \"He already _nivroku_ has a good house.\" or \"She is _nivroku_ a big girl.\" On the other hand, the word derives from \"have your fingers crossed\" and is said in a hope that prosperity or any other positive thing will continue. Sometimes it is also used ironically. However translating it either like \"He already _well_ has a good house\" (?!) or \"He has a good house, _have your fingers crossed_\" makes nonsense.

Please correct me if there are other possibilities.

Regards!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-16 19:15 ]
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fare un giro Mar 16, 2002

Fiona cited the Italian \"fare un giro\". I believe Argentina is culturally (at least) as much Italian as it is Spanish, and we have no problem translating it as a quite literal \"dar una vuelta\".

[addsig]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words that exist in only one language.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »