What\'s your comment on this poem by a friend of mine?
Thread poster: Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Y_Bill
Local time: 09:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
May 15, 2003

A friend of mine sent me this poem after he visited the Great Cathedral of Cologne, which I personally enjoy reading.

Koln Dom

I gasped in awe

When I saw

A massive mass

Of a cathedral

Looming large

Over my unprepared self

Reason with metal teeth

Passion with rocky beat

Merged in a complex

Of solidness

Shudder! All ye faith
... See more
A friend of mine sent me this poem after he visited the Great Cathedral of Cologne, which I personally enjoy reading.

Koln Dom

I gasped in awe

When I saw

A massive mass

Of a cathedral

Looming large

Over my unprepared self

Reason with metal teeth

Passion with rocky beat

Merged in a complex

Of solidness

Shudder! All ye faithful!

Unite and stand before God.

Repent! All those heretical!

Become or to the dust sprawl.

So what\'s your comment, my friend? And from a deconstructionist point of view, what would you say of the personality and cultural background behind this poem? I would certainly have a fascinating talk with him about this when he comes back from his tour of Europe.

Your input would be tremendously appreciated.

Bill

[ This Message was edited by: Y_Bill on 2003-05-15 20:34]
Collapse

izy
izy  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:35
English to German
+ ...
well spoken May 15, 2003

Hi!

As I live in Cologne, I have to say, even if I don\'t have much to do with poetry, this is exactly how I felt the first time I saw the cathedral. And still, every time I cross the river Rhine and of course, when I stand right in front of this most marvellous \'church\', I shudder.

so well spoken, indeed!

izy
izy  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
well spoken May 15, 2003

[ This Message was edited by: izy on 2003-05-16 08:42]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
I remember reading in Art History May 15, 2003

that the Kölnerdom was the longest cathedral-building project ever undertaken: where other Gothic cathedrals may have taken 2 centuries to build (and hence became a registry of architecture and construction techniques spanning some 6 generations), the Cathedral of Cologne started in the Middle Ages and was finished in the 19th century. During this time, it underwent many vicissitudes and even suffered an interval in which the building plans were lost; it was also expanded while under constructi... See more
that the Kölnerdom was the longest cathedral-building project ever undertaken: where other Gothic cathedrals may have taken 2 centuries to build (and hence became a registry of architecture and construction techniques spanning some 6 generations), the Cathedral of Cologne started in the Middle Ages and was finished in the 19th century. During this time, it underwent many vicissitudes and even suffered an interval in which the building plans were lost; it was also expanded while under construction to keep up with demography. It is hence the only Gothic cathedral that reflects the use of 19th-century building techniques, including structural steel. So, when I saw it, more than its scale, it was the persistence of this continuity that impressed me.

Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Well, I wouldn't say persistence May 16, 2003

Having lived in Cologne for almost 20 years for me the \"Dom\" is a big signpost saying \"Home\".

I think that it took so long because the people of Cologne don\'t adhere to the work ethics usually associated with Germans. We Rhinelanders prefer having a good time. So only when the Prussians took over the cathedral was completed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What\'s your comment on this poem by a friend of mine?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »