Original text by Carrolly Erickson
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:51
Italian to English
+ ...
May 31, 2008

I hope there is someone who can help me out.

I urgently need to find the original English text of a quotation from the book by Carrolly Erickson, "Great Catherine. The life of Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia.".

The quotation describes Moscow.

Here's the Italian version:
“Mosca, la splendida città di pietra bianca, si ergeva sull’alto del colle, sovrastando i boschi che la circondavano. Città di cinquecento chiese e cinquemila palazzi dora
... See more
I hope there is someone who can help me out.

I urgently need to find the original English text of a quotation from the book by Carrolly Erickson, "Great Catherine. The life of Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia.".

The quotation describes Moscow.

Here's the Italian version:
“Mosca, la splendida città di pietra bianca, si ergeva sull’alto del colle, sovrastando i boschi che la circondavano. Città di cinquecento chiese e cinquemila palazzi dorati; città di guglie, cupole e croci dai mille colori, uniti tra loro da catene di metallo placcato d’oro. Città dai tetti sfavillanti di tegole rosse e verdi, smaltata di blu e di argento, disseminata di stelle d’oro, una scacchiera di piazze bianche e nere. Città merlata, circondata da sei monasteri simili a fortezze, dominata dalla maestà del Cremino che svettava sull’alta collina. (…) I viaggiatori che giungevano in città per la prima volta dall’Europa facevano fermare le carrozze sulla sommità del monte dei Passeri per poter ammirare la sua disordinata distesa di case di legno, circondata dalla luminosa aureola delle sue bianche chiese.”

and here's my rough English translation, done in about 3 minutes so unpolished, just to help you find it (I have no indication of where it comes in the book):
"Moscow, the splendid city of white stone, stood on top of the hill, overlooking the woods that surrounded it. A city of five hundred churches and five thousand gilded palaces; a city of spires, domes and crosses of a thousand colours, linked together by chains of gold plated metal. A city of sparkling roofs of red and green tiles, enamelled in blue and silver, scattered with gold stars, a chessboard of black and white squares. A battlemented city, surrounded by six monasteries like fortresses, dominated by the majesty of the Kremlin towering on the high hill. (…) Travellers arriving in the city from Europe for the first time would stop their carriages at the top of the Sparrow Hills to admire the untidy expanse of wooden houses, surrounded by the luminous halo of white churches.”

Normally I'd send my sister to look it up in the public library at home in Scotland, but she's off to Greece for a week's holiday and I need to hand in the translation on Wednesday at the latest. No time to order the original from Amazon either...

Any help welcome......
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:51
German to English
Here it is May 31, 2008

Enter "five hundred churches" in search inside this book and you'll find the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312135033/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!!! May 31, 2008

Thanks, I never knew I could do that.
Does it work for other books?

Later:
couldn't get in, though I have a password.
"To view this page, you must be signed in to an Amazon.com account that has made a purchase in the past. Your account has not made an eligible prior purchase. "

I bought my books from the UK site, which doesn't offer this service....
If you can read it, could you possibly mail me the text?
Sorry to be such a bother.....

Kim Metzger wrote:

Enter "five hundred churches" in search inside this book and you'll find the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312135033/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

[Edited at 2008-05-31 15:43]

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, got it May 31, 2008

Thanks again Kim, and thanks to Jack Doughty for sending me the excerpt in a Word file!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Original text by Carrolly Erickson

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »