Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:06
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think it is wotth it and I don't need a translation Jul 15, 2007

If it doesn't work, SDL doesn't have to send me offers every 2 weeks, I am going to resell my license for whichever managed to get the filters working.

I will never follow a recommendation of a software partially owned by microsoft telling me not to use something trying to replace them - yes do whatever you want as long as you buy a microsoft license.

I am on a dual boot so I really don't need a virtual computer if I wanted Windows.

There is no point to arg
... See more
If it doesn't work, SDL doesn't have to send me offers every 2 weeks, I am going to resell my license for whichever managed to get the filters working.

I will never follow a recommendation of a software partially owned by microsoft telling me not to use something trying to replace them - yes do whatever you want as long as you buy a microsoft license.

I am on a dual boot so I really don't need a virtual computer if I wanted Windows.

There is no point to argue - I will try to use it with wine - or without Trados (and even more without any of SDL products).

What I do of my time is my business decision and you are not wasting yours doing it. It's like asking the gamers "are you not loosing your time trying to get to the next step when you are returning to the start again and again". They will tell you no.

And which risk I am risking then please of than crashing Trados and having to reinstall??

For me getting rid of windows the next time I buy a computer is worth the hassle but it is a matter of personal interest.
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windos and virus Jul 15, 2007

Fernando Toledo wrote:

And, if you use Linux, and windows at the same time as a virtual machine, I don't thing it is dangerous to get a virus or so, cause you don't need to access to the net with Windows, isn't it?

Installing windows in itself is dangerous.

One example (and I found others a couple of months ago)

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2130167,00.asp

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/05/11/hackers-use-windows-update-to-download-malicious-code/

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/news.htm#57

It is a "feature" from windows allowing any application you have on your computer to download whatever they want, regardless of the consequences on your system.
The automatic update from T3000 crashed my whole computer. Now way I will let that happen again.
(you probably have to copy and paste the links)

[Edited at 2007-07-15 06:37]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 06:42]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:06
English to German
+ ...
Maybe a professional could help? Jul 15, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:
I still want to run Trados on Linux through Wine.

If had this problem, I would think about how much a solution may be worth and then post it as a job on GetACoder.com which seems to be one of the more serious freelance programmers websites.

Harry

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe you are right Jul 15, 2007

I should get a coder to write me a plan of what is to do..

Seriously, if I hire a coder with my husband as sotware developper for Java applications and with knowledge of Unix, he won't talk to me anymore.

So far my husband is refusing to help me on any Linux things as long as it gets stable and I prove him I can work on it.

I have a coder at home for free, he however keeps telling me that in h
... See more
I should get a coder to write me a plan of what is to do..

Seriously, if I hire a coder with my husband as sotware developper for Java applications and with knowledge of Unix, he won't talk to me anymore.

So far my husband is refusing to help me on any Linux things as long as it gets stable and I prove him I can work on it.

I have a coder at home for free, he however keeps telling me that in his company it takes up to a year for the new staff to understand the software and be able to develop it that he is not going to loose his time for it (trying to understand how Wine is working).
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Take a man by his word and a bull by its horn Jul 15, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

If he was a translator but did not translate in your required language direction, you would not give him the job just because he is your husband and a professional translator, would you?

And sometimes I wonder whether there are more programming languages or natural languages..

There you have another perfect excuse for outsourcing this task!
I have a coder at home for free, he however keeps telling me that in his company it takes up to a year for the new staff to understand the software and be able to develop it that he is not going to loose his time for it (trying to understand how Wine is working).

I am not suggesting to give this job to his company...

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
But... Jul 15, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

And, if you use Linux, and windows at the same time as a virtual machine, I don't thing it is dangerous to get a virus or so, cause you don't need to access to the net with Windows, isn't it?

Installing windows in itself is dangerous.

I repeat, you don't need to connect via Windows with nothing!
If you want to work only with Trados, you will get any Virus cause no connection! no Updates or similar things.

Once I had a Windows "prepared" for working with Music, it was not possible to connect with Internet , it was a dedicated PC for Audio and nothing than Audio. No Antivirus, Firewall, or other Applications, for what?

[Edited at 2007-07-15 10:42]

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Outsourcing to his company would be a vain effort Jul 15, 2007

They are writing softwares for banks. Some of the banks (especially in serbia or croatia) are still using windows 95 and you have to program for old versions for old explorer.
Widespread banks have very complicated software when you know it is being used in the eastern European countries and the balkans, each bank coming with their own conditions.
Linux in his company would be a vain idea since the client don't even wish to own a modern windows, it would be too much a change.
<
... See more
They are writing softwares for banks. Some of the banks (especially in serbia or croatia) are still using windows 95 and you have to program for old versions for old explorer.
Widespread banks have very complicated software when you know it is being used in the eastern European countries and the balkans, each bank coming with their own conditions.
Linux in his company would be a vain idea since the client don't even wish to own a modern windows, it would be too much a change.

No, outsourcing would hurt him in his pride since he doesn't lose an opportunity to show me what I don't know and he does.

I would not say it would be like a translator of a wrong combination, it may be more like somebody who learnt translation at the university and started to work on everything else and don't want to start again because he didn't practice; the last time he wrote something for Linux, it was 10 years ago and didn't keep track with the developments.

He is also saying, I am better with windows, they have been working on Linux for such a long time and I have still problem with it. I have to prove him first that it is worth it, and then, not earlier, he will start to look at the problem.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 10:30]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 10:31]
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Updates Jul 15, 2007

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Once I had a Windows "prepared" for working with Music, it was not possible to connect with Internet , it was a dedicated PC for Audio and nothing than Audio. No Antivirus, Firewall, or other Applications, for what?

How long do you think this will last. Trados Is connecting on the Internet all the time one starts it. Last time I prevented T3000 to check the Internet, T3000 started not to work anymore.

You can only do it if you are using it for one simple application.

Furthermore, I would not advise to try it with Vista. If Vista can't check on the Internet, it will deactivate itself after 6 months (with our without warning?). If you get once on the Internet, it will immediately download everything you missed.

I am waiting for the first people out from august/september out (here in Austria) calling the Microsoft hotline "help, my windows is not starting anymore and I can't rescue my documents anymore" from the side of all people not having the internet (I know a couple of them).

That's fair: you prevent the updates - windows prevent you using it.

There are so many stories of Vista really taking the users as children for which you should not even give a chance to decide on their desktop. That's really horrifying me. Now I have XP, this is seriously not a long term strategy.

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Outsourcing is a leadership skill Jul 15, 2007

No, outsourcing would hurt him in his pride since he doesn't lose an opportunity to show me what I don't know and he does.

Ouch! Aren't you tempted to cure this?

And even if it is the right "language combination", it is obviously still the wrong field of expertise.
He is also saying, I am better with windows, they have been working on Linux for such a long time and I have still problem with it.

Although I don't agree with this argument, I have to agree with the conclusion, since I am using Windows because I couldn't get Linux to run my hardware and applications at least as satisfactory as Windows.
I have to prove him first that it is worth it, and then, not earlier, he will start to look at the problem.

That's great! So you might get your next problem solved for free!

BTW, I am suffering, too, from the typically male characteristic that it is easier for me to look something up than to ask someone for advice, so I feel proud each time when I succeed in making an exception to this rule - maybe this is a lesson he still has to learn..

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Hmmm Jul 15, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

How long do you think this will last. Trados Is connecting on the Internet all the time one starts it. Last time I prevented T3000 to check the Internet, T3000 started not to work anymore.

You can only do it if you are using it for one simple application.

??????

I suppose my poor English is not good enough to explain it. I am speaking about a LINUX PC with a Virtual Machine running parallel with Windows XP SP2 to work with Trados.

So far so good.

Who cares if Trados, Windows or any other application try to connect to internet? You are connected via Linux!

I think you are more interested to fight against Windows than to have a good working system...

regards

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pride and others Jul 15, 2007

[quote]Harry Bornemann wrote:

Not for this issue. At the worse it may end up that he stops maintaining the applications he wrote for the agency.

It's like a french cook proud of this abilities. He lived for a while in China and has some understanding of Chinese cookery. On his back (without he even takes the time to try so recipes), you hire a Chinese cook.
He will only do his best to prove you that what the other did he could have done it as well or better and that you have no idea of cooking anyway.

no because Trados is part of what he called a functional system, along with my bookeeping software and my keyboard problem + the colour printer that has no driver to run with Linux (only for Windows and Mac)and some other issues.
I have to keep a long time without windows to show him I could live without.
At the moment I keep switching back to Windows showing him that in the end I need Windows whatever I say.

BTW, I am suffering, too, from the typically male characteristic that it is easier for me to look something up than to ask someone for advice, so I feel proud each time when I succeed in making an exception to this rule - maybe this is a lesson he still has to learn..

That's not only a male thing. If you knew how many times I crashed Trados to get that far, tweaking and tweaking and tweaking again. If once I get a step further, it makes me more proud that having gone through a 40 000 words translation. It really make my day - maybe I'm the one on the wrong business.

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pride and others Jul 15, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:

Not for this issue. At the worse it may end up that he stops maintaining the applications he wrote for the agency.

It's like a french cook proud of this abilities. He lived for a while in China and has some understanding of Chinese cookery. On his back (without he even takes the time to try so recipes), you hire a Chinese cook.
He will only do his best to prove you that what the other did he could have done it as well or better and that you have no idea of cooking anyway. [quote]

no because Trados is part of what he called a functional system, along with my bookeeping software and my keyboard problem + the colour printer that has no driver to run with Linux (only for Windows and Mac)and some other issues.
I have to keep a long time without windows to show him I could live without.
At the moment I keep switching back to Windows showing him that in the end I need Windows whatever I say.

That's not only a male thing. If you knew how many times I crashed Trados to get that far, tweaking and tweaking and tweaking again. If once I get a step further, it makes me more proud that having gone through a 40 000 words translation. It really make my day - maybe I'm the one on the wrong business.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 12:36]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 12:37]

[Edited at 2007-07-15 12:37]

Harry Bornemann
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
French cooks and others Jul 15, 2007

Are you sure you are not using these presumptions as a pretext to allow you to blame your husband when you will have to give up Linux?
It's like a french cook...

I never understood these french cook stories - when I lived in France I used to prepare my own meals because in the restaurants I saw only things which I would rather have put into a vase or an aquarium..

Hari (comme haricot)

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
help Jul 15, 2007

Harry Bornemann wrote:

Are you sure you are not using these presumptions as a pretext to allow you to blame your husband when you will have to give up Linux?

At this I could say it would not have been for him helping me.

So far he had done nothing but formatting the partitions and making a boot menu for windows and ensuring that windows gets a daily backup for when he has to reformat the disk.

He calls himself the protector of windows.

But of course when I am spending a whole day to configure a printer through a router although I have no idea of router configuration (he does it himself for Windows) he wants me to keep in writing every step I take for the configuration - for later if I am really starting to use it.

Of course afterwards he talks a lot about router configuration and how stupid I did some of the thing and of course it would not work.

Let's take it so, if I give up he will win. If I succeed, It's all my work. Even the support is more willing to help.

Saulius S.
Saulius S.
Local time: 13:06
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Crossover developers could make SDL Trados run with Wine Jul 15, 2007

In my opinion, the most efficient way to get SDL Trados running with Wine is to make financial pledges for Crossover developers, so that they make the support for this application in Crossover (which runs both on Linux and Mac). Although Crossover is a commercial product, the Crossover developers support the open source Wine project and contribute to it.

The pledges can be made here:
... See more
In my opinion, the most efficient way to get SDL Trados running with Wine is to make financial pledges for Crossover developers, so that they make the support for this application in Crossover (which runs both on Linux and Mac). Although Crossover is a commercial product, the Crossover developers support the open source Wine project and contribute to it.

The pledges can be made here: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2189

I guess that many translators would switch to Linux or Mac, if they could run Trados natively on these platforms. Since SDL is not likely to port this application to Linux/Mac any time soon, the community action is necessary to change the situation.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Developer - Help me to run Trados on Linux

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »