Which is the best CAT-tool for Linux for document translation and SDL Trados compatibility?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:09
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 11, 2012

Which is the best CAT-tool for Linux for document translation and SDL Trados compatibility?

If I mostly translate Word-documents, TTX-files, SDLXLIFF-files etc. files from Trados, is there any CAT-tool that would work better than others?

For example, I found a selection of CAT-tools for Linux on "Linux for translators":... See more

If I mostly translate Word-documents, TTX-files, SDLXLIFF-files etc. files from Trados, is there any CAT-tool that would work better than others?

For example, I found a selection of CAT-tools for Linux on "Linux for translators":

http://www.marcprior.de/linux/tm/wordfastprofessional.html

Which of the CAT-tools on the above link would best fullfil the following requirements?:

1. Mostly document translation (MS Word) and TTX-files, SDLXLIFF-files etc. files from Trados, CAT-tool independent of MS Word but can handle them.
2. Can import and export TM from Trados (TXT, TTX, SDLXLIFF) with perfect results.
3. High compatibility between both SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and SDL Trados Studio 2011.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:09
Finnish to French
CafeTran, Swordfish, OmegaT with Okapi Sep 11, 2012

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
Which of the CAT-tools on the above link would best fullfil the following requirements?:
1. Mostly document translation (MS Word) and TTX-files, SDLXLIFF-files etc. files from Trados, CAT-tool independent of MS Word but can handle them.

I believe CafeTran and Swordfish can deal with TTX and SDLXLIFF. AFAIK, OmegaT can do it too, using tools from the Okapi suite (https://code.google.com/p/okapi/ ). Wordfast Pro can deal with TTX, but not SDLXLIFF.

2. Can import and export TM from Trados (TXT, TTX, SDLXLIFF) with perfect results.

TTX and SDLXLIFF are formats of bilingual documents, not TM's. TM's coming from or going to the Trados world should be exchanged using the TMX format, rather than the proprietary TXT format.

3. High compatibility between both SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and SDL Trados Studio 2011.

The bilingual Word format ("uncleaned") is probably tricky for many tools. You could use Anaphraseus ("clone" of Wordfast Classic) for that.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
ttx/tmx/project Sep 12, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
TTX and SDLXLIFF are formats of bilingual documents, not TM's. TM's coming from or going to the Trados world should be exchanged using the TMX format, rather than the proprietary TXT format.

A strange coincidence. I'm discussing the same subject elsewhere.

I can understand the confusion. TTX files are bilingual files/documents, but then again, so are TM(X) files/documents, and even Project Files. They are in a different format, but basically, there's not much difference between them, I'd say. When you work on a TTX file in a project, the TTX file becomes the Project file, and the resulting TMX file is the TTX file in another format. True or false?

Cheers,

Hansd

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
None Sep 12, 2012

If compatibility with Trados (especially, if with Freelance 2007 and Studio 2011 at the same time) is a must, you need only Trados and Windows. Do not waste time for Linux or even for other programs under Windows.

The bilingual Word format ("uncleaned") is probably tricky for many tools. You could use Anaphraseus ("clone" of Wordfast Classic) for that.

You can also run WFC using MS Word 2000 under Crossover Linux (and, perhaps, under bare Wine). As for Anaphraseus, you need to understand its (and Apahce OpenOffice’s) limitations, otherwise the results won’t meet your expectations.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 06:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
All Sep 12, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
Do not waste time for Linux or even for other programs

I've been "happily" translating TTX files in DV3 since I built Stone Henge, and nowadays, I use CafeTran on the Mac for that purpose. BTW, CafeTran also runs under Linux, Frederik. I'd rather say that Trados is the worst program for translating Trados files. That said, they never ever sent me an SDLXLIFF file to translate, although I did successfully try one in CafeTran. But that wasn't "for real."
Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »