Thread poster: Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:05
Spanish to English
Jun 16, 2010

Hello.

I have been using Linux Mint (Ubuntu) with Wordfast Classic with no issues for several months.

Today, I got a bizarre error about not having enough disk space, even though I have several gigs to spare. I tried saving to different partitions and to pen drives with no luck.

This is the error I got:

Microsoft Word
The disk is full trying to write to Z::. Free some space on the drive, or save the document to another disk.
T
... See more
Hello.

I have been using Linux Mint (Ubuntu) with Wordfast Classic with no issues for several months.

Today, I got a bizarre error about not having enough disk space, even though I have several gigs to spare. I tried saving to different partitions and to pen drives with no luck.

This is the error I got:

Microsoft Word
The disk is full trying to write to Z::. Free some space on the drive, or save the document to another disk.
Try one or more of the following:
* Close unneeded documents
* Save the document on another disk

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Elliot
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why z: drive actually? Jun 17, 2010

It may be some problem with permissions. Where do you store your document(s) and translation memories? I would put them somewhere into ~/Documents.

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing has changed Jun 17, 2010

It said drive Z (root) because that was the last thing I tried. I might have a bad sector on the disk.

Thanks!

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:05
English to German
+ ...
Pls check temp and program file location Jun 17, 2010

Elliot,

please check how your emulation software (vmware, wine, crossover, whatever) is configured to store its files. That might be on a partition different from your Linux /home partion, or even from the system's main (i.e. root) partition. Mind you, you have to find out about about the Linux partition. There may be two kinds of files locations involved here: Normal files (the ones which you're working on) and temporary files. Both might be saved on the same Windows "drive"
... See more
Elliot,

please check how your emulation software (vmware, wine, crossover, whatever) is configured to store its files. That might be on a partition different from your Linux /home partion, or even from the system's main (i.e. root) partition. Mind you, you have to find out about about the Linux partition. There may be two kinds of files locations involved here: Normal files (the ones which you're working on) and temporary files. Both might be saved on the same Windows "drive", or each on a different "drive". In any case, you have to find out about the Linux partition(s) involved. And you should do so for both your virtual Windows installation and the programs involved, namely Wordfast.

In any case, when you have identified the Linux partitions, try to copy (not move!) files to that partition manually from you file manager and see what happens. If the problem persists, yes, there might be a permissions problem. Personally I don't think your hard disk is failing, but be sure to do a backup of your files NOW to be on the safe side!

Good luck and please tell us what you have found out.
Collapse

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Temp and program files under /home Jun 17, 2010

I did some digging and found that the program and temp files for MS Word are under /home/me/.cxoffice (I use CrossOver). The CrossOver program itself is under /opt.

Since I had unsuccessfully tried to save to my pen drive, it can't be a bad hard disk problem.

Perhaps the Word file is corrupt. The program crashed and I had to redo my edits. The TM is missing some parts too, so I had to do that part over again.

Such is life.

Thanks for the h
... See more
I did some digging and found that the program and temp files for MS Word are under /home/me/.cxoffice (I use CrossOver). The CrossOver program itself is under /opt.

Since I had unsuccessfully tried to save to my pen drive, it can't be a bad hard disk problem.

Perhaps the Word file is corrupt. The program crashed and I had to redo my edits. The TM is missing some parts too, so I had to do that part over again.

Such is life.

Thanks for the help!
Collapse

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:05
English to German
+ ...
Is Z your pen drive then? Jun 17, 2010

I haven't used Windows in ages that's why I'm asking whether Z is your pen drive. If so, it might explain the error. This type of storage has a limited number of cycles -- though it really shouldn't break in normal everyday use. Luckily USB sticks can easily be swapped.

So what happens if you save to your hard disk somewhere under /home? Does the problem go away?

What does your system monitor (found somewhere under the Preferences or Administration menu) show how much s
... See more
I haven't used Windows in ages that's why I'm asking whether Z is your pen drive. If so, it might explain the error. This type of storage has a limited number of cycles -- though it really shouldn't break in normal everyday use. Luckily USB sticks can easily be swapped.

So what happens if you save to your hard disk somewhere under /home? Does the problem go away?

What does your system monitor (found somewhere under the Preferences or Administration menu) show how much space of your home directory is being used? Or, open a terminal, simply type "df -h". In the output, you can find "/home" in the right column, and also the USB stick should be listed somewhere as "/media/XXXX" -- as long as it's plugged in of course.

Finally, your USB stick's partition contains a VFAT file system in all likelyhood (most people using Linux do so for compatibility reasons). However, VFAT is very messy and prone to all kinds of ugly things, so no big surprise here if it behaves in an unruly way.

Cheers, y buena suerte.

[Edited at 2010-06-17 15:22 GMT]
Collapse

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but I had already tried these workarounds Jun 17, 2010

There is no problem with permissions, lack of space, etc. I already tried various pen drives, partitions, etc. The problem seems to be a corrupt .doc file.

¡Gracias y saludos!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linux-Wordfast disk space error

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »