encoding text issues
Thread poster: gabriela asin
gabriela asin
gabriela asin  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2009

Hi! I'm a translation and interpretation student who uses Linux in her laptop. Since I am aware that in the future I will be working for people who uses a variety of CAT tools, right now I'm taking some time in testing compatibility of TMX in different CAT tools. For doing so I've installed some demos of wide used CAT tools for Windows in a friend's computer and I try and see if my TMXs work in them. Until know I've been using bitext2tmx to create my TMX because its TMX work fine with OmegaT. Ho... See more
Hi! I'm a translation and interpretation student who uses Linux in her laptop. Since I am aware that in the future I will be working for people who uses a variety of CAT tools, right now I'm taking some time in testing compatibility of TMX in different CAT tools. For doing so I've installed some demos of wide used CAT tools for Windows in a friend's computer and I try and see if my TMXs work in them. Until know I've been using bitext2tmx to create my TMX because its TMX work fine with OmegaT. However, the TRADOS demo I downloaded doesn't read these TMX well. If I encode it as UTF-8, it skips some segments like they weren't in the memory and if encode it as ISO-8859-1 it doesn't skip the segments but the characters with accents are omitted. Is there somebody who knows why this happens? What program/method should I use under Linux to create TMX encoding in a way that guarantees the widest possible compatibility? Is there any alignment program for Linux that works with text encoded as UTF-16 (which I suppose is one of the standard text encodings for windows and the kind of encoding I need in order to use my translation memories with Anaphraseus)? Help, please!Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
English to Spanish
Stingray aligner Jun 3, 2009

Hi,

If you need a document aligner that works on Linux, you can use Stingray.

http://www.maxprograms.com/products/stingray.html

Regards,
Rodolfo

gabriela asin
gabriela asin  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 10, 2009

Thanks a lot! Stingray works wonderfully

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

encoding text issues

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »