Thread poster: Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Dec 17, 2008

i went to the office a bit late this morning, expecting a laid back day. unfortunately, that was not the case. i got a couple of urgent assignments, and on top of that my (windows) computer crashed. despite being able to login, the explorer kept going on and off, making it impossible to open folders.
as the assignments were urgent, first thing on my mind was to finish them then save my data. i took out ubuntu cd that i got last week, restarted my computer, and login to the linux distro mou
... See more
i went to the office a bit late this morning, expecting a laid back day. unfortunately, that was not the case. i got a couple of urgent assignments, and on top of that my (windows) computer crashed. despite being able to login, the explorer kept going on and off, making it impossible to open folders.
as the assignments were urgent, first thing on my mind was to finish them then save my data. i took out ubuntu cd that i got last week, restarted my computer, and login to the linux distro mounted as live cd.
downloaded omegat for linux, extracted the package, then ran the app. fortunately, latest ubuntu, i.e., 8.10, supports reading and writing on ntfs. so i managed to opened the doc files in openoffice.org, saved them as odts to my omegat project folder, and started the translation. after completing the translation, i converted back the translated odts to docs then send them back to my boss as if there was no trouble.
during translation, i used built-in dictionary, which was ok, but i like my babylon better. btw, i also listened to my mp3 collections and online radio through rhythmbox. edited header image for one of my blogs using gimp originally created in photoshop. i even can watch my 'the office' collection using totam movie player.
in a nutshell, this has been a very pleasing experience. linux is indeed becoming more and more comfortable to use now.
Collapse

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:00
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
partition Dec 17, 2008

I have partitions in my hard disk, I heard that we can install window in one part and Linux in the other. Is that right?

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
German to English
+ ...
partition Dec 17, 2008

Lenah Susianty wrote:

I have partitions in my hard disk, I heard that we can install window in one part and Linux in the other. Is that right?

Yes, this is called "dual boot". You can choose when you start (boot) your computer whether to use Windows or Linux.

Marc

[Edited at 2008-12-17 19:58 GMT]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Virtual machine Dec 17, 2008

Lenah Susianty wrote:

You can also install virtualization software like VMware or VirtualBox on Windows or Linux and run Linux or Windows as a guest operating system. You don't need to have your disk specially partitioned and you can switch back and forth between operating systems immediately with a key combination on your keyboard. But if you can't run your host system you can't run the guest system, of course.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
- Dec 17, 2008

Lenah Susianty wrote:

Dual booting is potentially messy. When I tried it with XP and Vista neither of the two would boot. Perhaps it's easier to set up with linux but I would only try with help from someone who really knows what they are doing.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Just do backup Dec 17, 2008

If you installed XP after Vista, then it can be a problem. The older Windows OS should always be installed first.
Ontopic - I think doing regular backup/creating an image of the system is much better option. Keep all the apps on the system partition and data on separate one. If anything goes wrong beyond repair, just restore the image and everything is up and running in 10 to 20 minutes.
Of course, making regular backups can be a bit tediuos, but it can be automated and it's certainl
... See more
If you installed XP after Vista, then it can be a problem. The older Windows OS should always be installed first.
Ontopic - I think doing regular backup/creating an image of the system is much better option. Keep all the apps on the system partition and data on separate one. If anything goes wrong beyond repair, just restore the image and everything is up and running in 10 to 20 minutes.
Of course, making regular backups can be a bit tediuos, but it can be automated and it's certainly worth it. My favourite software for that purpose is Acronis TrueImage.
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Partitions Dec 18, 2008

Having more than one partition is generally safer and better, as you can store your files on one partition and your OS on another. If something goes wrong you can format and reinstall the OS, not deleting your files.

Dual booting is potentially messy. When I tried it with XP and Vista neither of the two would boot.

I know many people, who have Windows and Linux installed, and they have no problems with that at all. And I suppose it's less resources demanding way, than using a virtual machine.

Personally I use only Linux and appreciate its stability and safety

Anni

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Windows and Linux Dec 18, 2008

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

And if Windows and Linux are sharing the PC, Linux should be installed last.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how linux saved my day

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »