Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
French to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2017

Hello,
I have an Indian silver item, a candle holder I believe, which has some writing inscribed along one edge:
can somebody please help me understand what the words mean, and tell me which language it is written in please?
Here is a link to the item:

http://imgur.com/a/MwfeN

Many thanks in advance.

Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Hindi
+ ...
The text is in Devanagari ... Apr 17, 2017

and the language seems to be Marathi.

There are two names of married women (but see below), Prabhavati Pradhan and Gangabai Bendre. The last two words are either the name of a place or a Marathi phrase. The single word between the two names simply means 'this' in Hindi but might mean something different in Marathi.

Each of the two names is prefixed with an abbreviation which could either stand for 'saubhagyavati' (meaning 'of good fortune') or 'saubhagyakankshini' (me
... See more
and the language seems to be Marathi.

There are two names of married women (but see below), Prabhavati Pradhan and Gangabai Bendre. The last two words are either the name of a place or a Marathi phrase. The single word between the two names simply means 'this' in Hindi but might mean something different in Marathi.

Each of the two names is prefixed with an abbreviation which could either stand for 'saubhagyavati' (meaning 'of good fortune') or 'saubhagyakankshini' (meaning 'desirous of good fortune'). The first epithet is used for married women and the second for young, unmarried women.

Hope someone else will be able to answer your query more fully.

[Edited at 2017-04-17 13:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-04-17 13:38 GMT]
Collapse

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Piyush Apr 17, 2017

- that is helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Decipher Indian language text

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »