Off topic: Foreign language learning in a TV show (ASL)
Thread poster: Phil Hand
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:10
Chinese to English
Sep 11, 2015

I've been watching an American TV show which gives what I think is the best representation of foreign language learning I've ever seen. The language involved is ASL, so it's not one that we spend much time on here on Proz, but many of the issues are the same as with any language. Language fatigue, bad pronunciation, negative attitudes to learners, hitting the wall, working with interpreters... It's all depicted really well.

The show is a bit cheesy, so if you don't love American mel
... See more
I've been watching an American TV show which gives what I think is the best representation of foreign language learning I've ever seen. The language involved is ASL, so it's not one that we spend much time on here on Proz, but many of the issues are the same as with any language. Language fatigue, bad pronunciation, negative attitudes to learners, hitting the wall, working with interpreters... It's all depicted really well.

The show is a bit cheesy, so if you don't love American melodrama, beware! It's called Switched at Birth, and the premise is that two kids were accidentally switched in the hospital. Fast forward 16 years, the mistake is discovered, and the lives of two very different families get intertwined. One of the girls is deaf, and that drives quite a lot of the drama.

Here's the official site: http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/switched-at-birth . If you like this sort of thing, I recommend you check it out.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:10
English to Thai
+ ...
Native speaker English Sep 11, 2015

Phil Hand wrote:

Now is the good time to study foreign languages with low cost. In fact, languages are alive and we need to pursue them continuously even when we are not in the mother tongue country.
Thanks for the link but I cannot open on PC: permanent error.
Do you have more suggestions?

Soonthon L.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mind your language BBC series Sep 11, 2015

BBC had a satirical series like this in the late 70s in which a motley crowd of non-English-speaking Londoners (mostly from the Indian sub-continent speaking Hindi or Urdu) are taught English. I have watched a few episodes. But to really enjoy this kind of tv serials you need to know both the languages (English as well as Hindi-Urdu in the case of the BBC series).

For those who are interested in the BBC series, here is the link to the wiki page. The episodes should also be available
... See more
BBC had a satirical series like this in the late 70s in which a motley crowd of non-English-speaking Londoners (mostly from the Indian sub-continent speaking Hindi or Urdu) are taught English. I have watched a few episodes. But to really enjoy this kind of tv serials you need to know both the languages (English as well as Hindi-Urdu in the case of the BBC series).

For those who are interested in the BBC series, here is the link to the wiki page. The episodes should also be available on youtube (as most such tv series are these days):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_Your_Language
Collapse

Frank Wong
Frank Wong  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
Good way Sep 11, 2015

It is a very good way to learn English by watching TV shows. I watched many foreign TV series on Sohu.com. It helps me a lot with my language learning and keeps me updated with the western culture.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:10
English to Thai
+ ...
My son Sep 13, 2015

Wangbo231 wrote:

It is a very good way to learn English by watching TV shows. I watched many foreign TV series on Sohu.com. It helps me a lot with my language learning and keeps me updated with the western culture.

Satellite TV became popular in Thailand from 1990s. My son was 2 years old then. He watched/listened to BBC news and HBO movies continuously. I observe that his command of English is much better than average kids in the neighborhood. I will promote Thai kids' motor to educate children into bilingual nature.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Foreign language learning in a TV show (ASL)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »