Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: The 30 most commonly mispronounced phrases in English - to all intensive purposes
Thread poster: Tom in London
Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Page Dec 10, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I don't think you and I are on the same page with this, Thomas. Let's return to the topic.

At least we're still on the same web page, but apart from that I'm not sure how I would define an ideal health system from scratch. I just navigate between the choices I'm given in the system as it is, and what could be more appropriate than navigating in system with ship cards? I don’t think there will be any sea change in their system any time soon.

And yes, let’s get back to the much less serious and much more entertaining original topic.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Can anyone understand this? Dec 10, 2017

“The bracket should be translated and taken into consideration the type of information that needs to be inserted.”

It was written in the last translation brief I got.

I think I finally figured out what they meant, but it would have been simpler without this garbled instruction. Some people seem to have an innate ability to make the simple appear monstrously complicated

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
NO idea what it means Dec 10, 2017

A bracket cannot be translated.

I suspect the text you were given had already been (badly) translated into English.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Garbled brackets Dec 10, 2017

There is stuff like this in the text:

"A fee will be invoiced on a [TO BE SELECTED] monthly/quarterly/annual basis"

I guess it's for a user interface where the user preparing the contract has to select one of the options separated by slashes. "The bracket should be translated" is probably intended to mean that the text inside the brackets should be translated.

"taken into consideration the type of information that needs to be inserted" remains a mystery, th
... See more
There is stuff like this in the text:

"A fee will be invoiced on a [TO BE SELECTED] monthly/quarterly/annual basis"

I guess it's for a user interface where the user preparing the contract has to select one of the options separated by slashes. "The bracket should be translated" is probably intended to mean that the text inside the brackets should be translated.

"taken into consideration the type of information that needs to be inserted" remains a mystery, though. I guess the entire sentence should simply work with either alternative.

This is for an international travel booking company. Being able to write English clearly isn’t a job requirement in their documentation department. I hope the pilots' manuals are written in plane English.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I see what you did there Dec 10, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I hope the pilots' manuals are written in plane English.

Funny. I assume the wordplay is intentional.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
What else? Dec 10, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I assume the wordplay is intentional.

What else would you expect from me?

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:49
Catalan to English
+ ...
Yep Dec 11, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I guess it's for a user interface where the user preparing the contract has to select one of the options separated by slashes.

Obviously. When you get a text like this, you don't "guess".

You ask about the target. I translate many such multi-purpose texts (of all descritpions) for a major Spanish bank that has offices here and abroad. Internal notes for the Spanish are left as-is and those for employees in London, Miami, have to be translated.

"The bracket should be translated" is probably intended to mean that the text inside the brackets should be translated.

Yes, Sherlock.....

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Less Dec 11, 2017

Journalists today don't think twice about writing "less people", just as you would ask your butcher for "less minced beef" if he had given you too much (unless you're a veggie).

There are 453 Google hits for "less people" at telegraph.co.uk.

[Edited at 2017-12-11 14:16 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
More person Dec 11, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Journalists today don't think twice about writing "less people", just as you would ask your butcher for "less minced beef" if he had given you too much (unless you're a veggie).

There are 453 Google hits for "less people" on telegraph.co.uk.

Me, I'm a more person. I don't like less people. As for less minced beef, I assume that's beef that has been minced less than beef that is more minced. Probably a hit with less people, who like things that are less.

[Edited at 2017-12-11 13:34 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Mincing Dec 11, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

As for less minced beef, I assume that's beef that has been minced less than beef that is more minced.

Interesting observation. I always considered mincing a binary choice: either something is minced or it isn't.

But I have no beef with anyone thinking otherwise.

Maybe there is a beefed-up way of mincing that I don't know about, which would make mincemeat of my binary mincing perception. Don't mince your words if you know anything about it.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Recent howlers from the Daily Telegraph Dec 18, 2017

"There are well-publicised cases of people carrying out real transactions with Bitcoin - including two recent house purchases in England - but these are essentially stunts that mostly whither under scrutiny"

The editor clearly hasn't heard about dashes either.

[Edit:] Oh dear, he continues:

"It can be used for 'smart contracts' and to secure access to valuable computing power. "It at least has economic value. You can exchange ether to run soft
... See more
"There are well-publicised cases of people carrying out real transactions with Bitcoin - including two recent house purchases in England - but these are essentially stunts that mostly whither under scrutiny"

The editor clearly hasn't heard about dashes either.

[Edit:] Oh dear, he continues:

"It can be used for 'smart contracts' and to secure access to valuable computing power. "It at least has economic value. You can exchange ether to run software in the cloud," he said. "

Ethereal software servers – how esoteric.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/18/singapores-fintech-chief-warns-bitcoin-delusion/

Headline yesterday:

"When an artists suffering is to tightly linked to their work, can one apologise?"

To be fair, it was fixed after several readers pointed out the errors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/17/artists-suffering-tightly-linked-work-can-one-apologise/

[Edited at 2017-12-18 13:48 GMT]
Collapse

Nikolaki
Nikolaki  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:49
French to English
To answer the original question Dec 18, 2017

I've seen and heard "self-defecating humour" a few times.

Mind you, if you think about it, it might not necessarily be a mistake…

[Edited at 2017-12-18 16:49 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
:) Dec 18, 2017

Nikolaki wrote:

What a horrifying idea.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Defecating humour Dec 18, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Nikolaki wrote:

What a horrifying idea.

Perhaps the risk of experiencing this is higher if you sleep in the fecal position.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
British Airways keep Boeing 747s in their wardrobe Dec 19, 2017

The Telegraph said it, so it must be true:

"The 747 will remain in the sky for some time to come – a remarkable 1,536 have been built and delivered since 1966 and they remain an important part of countless airline fleets, including that of British Airways, which owns 41 of the jumbo jets, and Virgin Atlantic, which has eight. But they are slowly being phased out. BA has said the model will be gone from its hangers by 2024 �
... See more
The Telegraph said it, so it must be true:

"The 747 will remain in the sky for some time to come – a remarkable 1,536 have been built and delivered since 1966 and they remain an important part of countless airline fleets, including that of British Airways, which owns 41 of the jumbo jets, and Virgin Atlantic, which has eight. But they are slowly being phased out. BA has said the model will be gone from its hangers by 2024 …"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/iconic-aircraft-that-are-disappearing-from-the-skies/
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The 30 most commonly mispronounced phrases in English - to all intensive purposes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »