What are the legal requirements to translate safety sheets?
Thread poster: Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
Local time: 22:48
French to Romanian
+ ...
Nov 5, 2019

Hi, all,

Do you know what are the legal requirements to translate safety sheets in other languages?
The company where I work has usually the safety sheets in English and we would want to have the translations done, but don't know what are the legal implications to translate them into other languages.

Thank you,
Andreea

Gareth Callagy
Gareth Callagy
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:48
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
What kind of safety sheets? Nov 5, 2019

Hi Andreea, do you mean the legal requirements for "safety data sheets" for chemicals in the EU or another kind of safety sheet or jurisdiction?

Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
French to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, SDS in Europe Dec 9, 2019

Yes, I am curious if the safety data sheets for various articles (food, catering for instance) can be translated by a non-experienced person in the field.

Thank you,

Keijo Sarv
Keijo Sarv  Identity Verified
Estonia
English to Estonian
Other Dec 10, 2019

Most likely there are some exact guidelines available about how safety data sheets must be worded in your language. I suggest you search for such guidelines.
The section titles, wording of sentences, certain phrases - these may have certain approved wording that has to be followed. Also hazard statements (H-phrases, P-phrases etc) likely have established translations in your language.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 21:48
English to Polish
+ ...
EU laws, wikipedia Dec 11, 2019

Hi,

Check EU legislation in eurlex where you have monoliongual versions, I remember something about REACH directive. Also H-phrases and R-phrases are translated in https://iate.europa.eu/home and (at least in my languaue) they are available in Wikipedia.

You can look for other SDSs in your language as titles of sections are usualy translated in a fixed way.

And Wikipedia
... See more
Hi,

Check EU legislation in eurlex where you have monoliongual versions, I remember something about REACH directive. Also H-phrases and R-phrases are translated in https://iate.europa.eu/home and (at least in my languaue) they are available in Wikipedia.

You can look for other SDSs in your language as titles of sections are usualy translated in a fixed way.

And Wikipedia gives some info on SDS

European Union
Safety data sheets have been made an integral part of the system of Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (REACH).[5] The original requirements of REACH for SDSs have been further adapted to take into account the rules for safety data sheets of the Global Harmonised System (GHS)[6] and the implementation of other elements of the GHS into EU legislation that were introduced by Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 (CLP)[7] via an update to Annex II of REACH.[8]

The SDS must be supplied in an official language of the Member State(s) where the substance or mixture is placed on the market, unless the Member State(s) concerned provide(s) otherwise (Article 31(5) of REACH).

The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) has published a guidance document on the compilation of safety data sheets.

Also check this website, especially documents for download, I can see it is in Romanian

https://www.msds-europe.com/downloadable-documents-regarding-chemical-safety/

[Edited at 2019-12-11 07:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the legal requirements to translate safety sheets?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »