Translating company name in notarial deeds
Thread poster: JorindeBerben
JorindeBerben
JorindeBerben
Belgium
Feb 15, 2019

I was wondering what your practice is when translating Articles of Association: do you translate the company name into the target language or keep it at the source language since it's the official registered name of the company?
Looking forward to your input!

Manar Magdy
Manar Magdy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 10:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
No, Feb 15, 2019

I translate from EN into AR, and if the company is foreign, I do not translate it, especially if it does not localized in the Chammber of commerce and industry' registeration of any Arab country.

Josephine Cassar

Anja Schuck
Anja Schuck  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:51
Italian to German
+ ...
Translating company name in notarial deeds Feb 15, 2019

Hi, at the source language since it's the official registered name.

Josephine Cassar

Yoana Ivanova
Yoana Ivanova  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 10:51
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Leave it Feb 15, 2019

Since I translate mostly into Bulgarian, I transliterate (not translate) the name into Cyrillic, but I always leave the original name in brackets as well, so it can be easily found and verified. In your case, just leave the name as is.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Morano El-Kholy
Vanda Nissen
Kay Denney

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
No Feb 16, 2019

No, of course not. I don't translate a company's name. It is a name after all and it is as it is registered in the official Register of Companies.

Angie Garbarino

JorindeBerben
JorindeBerben
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 16, 2019

Thank you for your input everyone!

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:51
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 Feb 16, 2019

Yoana Ivanova wrote:

Since I translate mostly into Bulgarian, I transliterate (not translate) the name into Cyrillic, but I always leave the original name in brackets as well, so it can be easily found and verified. In your case, just leave the name as is.

Yes, I agree, I do the exact same thing with Russian.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
"italians do it better" ... Feb 19, 2019

If the firm's name (or the name of its trademarked brand) tells you something about the firm, I might just add a little explanation in brackets. I'm thinking of names like the new pasta sauce firm "italians do it better" or the made-in-France brand "Le slip français".
(I see I just automatically provided a little explanation for "Le slip français" )

ETA that my answer pertains more to marketing (which is wh
... See more
If the firm's name (or the name of its trademarked brand) tells you something about the firm, I might just add a little explanation in brackets. I'm thinking of names like the new pasta sauce firm "italians do it better" or the made-in-France brand "Le slip français".
(I see I just automatically provided a little explanation for "Le slip français" )

ETA that my answer pertains more to marketing (which is what I mostly do) than for Articles of Association, where I wouldn't bother at all.

[Edited at 2019-02-19 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating company name in notarial deeds

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »