How do you make a certified translation of legal documents?
Thread poster: anastasiawhite
anastasiawhite
anastasiawhite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 3, 2018

Do you have to be a certified translator?

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes! Nov 4, 2018

I don't know about the US, but in Europe, sworn translators are appointed by a court (in my country, the regional court) competent for their place of business. It should be similar - maybe look up the website of your county court?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Depends on the country... Nov 4, 2018

In Portugal, unlike other countries, there are no sworn translators as such. To certify a translation, so that a translated document is legally valid, it is necessary to make its certification at the organizations empowered to do so (namely Notary’s Offices and Attorneys).

Josephine Cassar
Vadim Kadyrov

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Anastasia Nov 4, 2018

In the meanwhile, I found this information regarding certified translators in the USA:

https://atasavvynewcomer.org/2016/09/06/what-is-a-certified-translation/

[Edited at 2018-11-04 11:43 GMT]

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Katalin Horváth McClure

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:55
German to English
+ ...
It depends on the country in several senses Nov 4, 2018

My Canadian certification is valid for Canadian purposes, and is demanded in certain sectors. But Germany wants its "geeidigte" (sworn) translators, so my certified translations won't count in Germany. A German sworn translator's stamp etc. won't count over here. When any client or agency asks for a certified translation, I ask who will be examining it, in what country. The US will be different again.

paula arturo
paula arturo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the country Nov 4, 2018

It varies from one country to another.

In Spain and Latin America, sworn public translators are appointed by courts and/or government entities, when applicable, depending on what the translation is going to be used for.

In the U.S., certified translators can certify their own translations, but the purpose of certification is radically different from that of other countries. Notary Publics can also certify a translation in the States, but give faith of existence of the
... See more
It varies from one country to another.

In Spain and Latin America, sworn public translators are appointed by courts and/or government entities, when applicable, depending on what the translation is going to be used for.

In the U.S., certified translators can certify their own translations, but the purpose of certification is radically different from that of other countries. Notary Publics can also certify a translation in the States, but give faith of existence of the translated document, not its content.

For commercial purposes in some countries, a mere statement from the translator constitutes "certification."

To get better answers to your question, you may want to clarify what country you are inquiring about and what the purpose of that certification is.
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
José Henrique Lamensdorf

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 07:55
Romanian to English
+ ...
to be more specific Nov 4, 2018

Anastasia,

If you need to certify a certain document from EN>RU, you get your translation notarized by a Notary Public. The Russian authorities may require that the translated document needs an Apostille (Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents - 1961, the Apostille Convention, or the Apostille Treaty). Therefore, you can mail the notarized translation to the California Department of State in Sacramento) and get the Apostille (suggest
... See more
Anastasia,

If you need to certify a certain document from EN>RU, you get your translation notarized by a Notary Public. The Russian authorities may require that the translated document needs an Apostille (Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents - 1961, the Apostille Convention, or the Apostille Treaty). Therefore, you can mail the notarized translation to the California Department of State in Sacramento) and get the Apostille (suggest to Google how you can get it in CA).

The translator's "certification" in itself is a nonsense in the US and does not give you the same authority like in Europe. There are numerous languages that have not a certification exam available.

Here in the US, some US entities require the translator of official documents to be an accredited/qualified court interpreter (???? don't ask me why, but I was required to prove that I am on the Roster of court interpreters).

If you need more info, you can contact me through e-mail.

lee
Collapse

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
Local time: 13:55
English to Polish
+ ...
An imprecise question. For the US or Russia? Who wants it? Why? Nov 5, 2018

Upon getting answers to above (and maybe some other logical ones as well) please revert to the forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you make a certified translation of legal documents?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »