Thread poster: Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2014

I wonder how to include the term which I translated for the asker to my personal glossary. I don't have the option under the asker's name, usually written in red letters. I missed many such terms in my glossary and I'm quite curious to find out on what basis some of the terms can be included whereas other terms have no such options.
Thank you very much for any input.
Alice

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:08
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Adding a glossary entry Jun 17, 2014

Dear Alice,

You can add a term you have translated to your personal glossary by clicking on the "Gloss" button on the KudoZ question, and then checking the box labelled "Also add term to your personal glossary(s)" before entering the glossary entry.

Hope this explains. Please let me know if you have any question.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
If the general glossary entry has already been made, then... Jun 17, 2014

Alejandro was talking about the method to use when creating the general glossary entry.
However, I believe the question was about KudoZ answers where this opportunity had been missed, and the general glossary entry has already been entered.
In that case, the top section of the KudoZ page has a block, saying:
GLOSSARY ENTRY (DERIVED FROM QUESTION BELOW)
Look at the right corner of that block, you will see this:
Options:
- Edit glossary entr
... See more
Alejandro was talking about the method to use when creating the general glossary entry.
However, I believe the question was about KudoZ answers where this opportunity had been missed, and the general glossary entry has already been entered.
In that case, the top section of the KudoZ page has a block, saying:
GLOSSARY ENTRY (DERIVED FROM QUESTION BELOW)
Look at the right corner of that block, you will see this:
Options:
- Edit glossary entry
- Contribute to this entry
- Browse KOG in field
- Include in personal glossary

You need the last option, just click on it.
Katalin
Collapse

Alice Crisan
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jun 18, 2014

Thank you very much both of you Katalin and Alejandro for taking your time and helping me out with this matter.
I tried for a couple of times clicking here and there thinking maybe I'm on the right patch but finally I decided to cry for help.
Thank you again.
Have a lovely day !

Alice

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:08
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can also add terms from your profile Jun 18, 2014

You can add any terms at any time, by finding 'my glossaries' through your profile.

Hover the mouse over your name at the top of teh screen, and a menu appears.
Towards the bottom, under More, on the right hand side, click on 'My Glossaries'

Then you can see your glossaries, and towards the top right corner of the screen you can click on 'Enter Terms'.

Just above that, you can click to see other people's personal glossaries.

If you find
... See more
You can add any terms at any time, by finding 'my glossaries' through your profile.

Hover the mouse over your name at the top of teh screen, and a menu appears.
Towards the bottom, under More, on the right hand side, click on 'My Glossaries'

Then you can see your glossaries, and towards the top right corner of the screen you can click on 'Enter Terms'.

Just above that, you can click to see other people's personal glossaries.

If you find a term and want to remember it, or think it may be useful for others, that is an option.
Collapse

Alice Crisan
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Jun 18, 2014

Thank you Christine, that's a very good option for kudoz. I wasn't sure about that, especially when I got use to the one I mentioned above.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Mar 14, 2016

I go to "My glossaries", enter a term and its translation and press enter. Then I check that it has been entered correctly, by searching for the term. There is nothing there!

Any advice on using this feature gratefully received.

Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please check the terms that have not been entered into a specific glossary Mar 14, 2016

Hello Elizabeth,

I see that you have recently added some terms, but they haven't been entered into a specific glossary. Please note that when you enter a term in http://www.proz.com/?sp=gloss/enter&sp_mode=upload_manually you can (optionally) add it to an already existing or new glossary. If you don't include a name in the "Your Glossary" section there, the term wi
... See more
Hello Elizabeth,

I see that you have recently added some terms, but they haven't been entered into a specific glossary. Please note that when you enter a term in http://www.proz.com/?sp=gloss/enter&sp_mode=upload_manually you can (optionally) add it to an already existing or new glossary. If you don't include a name in the "Your Glossary" section there, the term will be added anyway but it won't be included in any specific glossary (i.e. it will appear when you choose the "Terms not entered into a specific glossary" option in the "Glossary" section in http://www.proz.com/?sp=mt ).

If you want, you can edit your terms and add them to a specific glossary. To find the terms you have been searching for, you will need to go to http://www.proz.com/?sp=my_g and select "Terms not entered into a specific glossary (3)" in the "Glossary" drop-down menu. Once you find them, simply click on each term and then on the "Edit or add info to this term" button that appears below.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Paula
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Thank you Paula! Mar 14, 2016

I appreciate your reply - I'll have another play and will let you know if I have any further problems.

Mariusz Listewnik
Mariusz Listewnik  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:08
Polish to English
+ ...
I can't get my head around public vs. personal glossaries Apr 29, 2017

Hi,
Could someone please explain how public glossaries are created? I thought I could make my own public glossary, but didn't find that option. I can make a personal glossary, yet its content is not visible to other Proz users. At least that's my impression because the terms from the glossaries do not appear when I search for them in Term Search. I understand this is how personal glossaries work; they are supposed to be private. How do translators make public glossaries?

I'd
... See more
Hi,
Could someone please explain how public glossaries are created? I thought I could make my own public glossary, but didn't find that option. I can make a personal glossary, yet its content is not visible to other Proz users. At least that's my impression because the terms from the glossaries do not appear when I search for them in Term Search. I understand this is how personal glossaries work; they are supposed to be private. How do translators make public glossaries?

I'd very grateful for an explanation

Mariusz
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Personal glossaries are public, I think May 1, 2017

Mariusz Listewnik wrote:

Hi,

I'd very grateful for an explanation

Mariusz

I think your personal glossaries are public, too. If you can't find them with a search, perhaps your search criteria/options are not set correctly? On the Term search page, scroll down to "Advanced", open it, and make sure you have "Personal Glossaries" checked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal glossary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »