SDL TRADOS 2017 translates a word file to Mincho font. Is there any way to keep the same font?
Thread poster: Yuko Fujita
Yuko Fujita
Yuko Fujita  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 30, 2018

If I translate a word file from English to Japanese, it translates into Japanese with no problem but changes the font to Mincho. Is there any way to set the font in target Japanese file?

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:41
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Perhaps a tag problem? Aug 31, 2018

YukoShiino wrote:
but changes the font to Mincho. Is there any way to set the font in target Japanese file?

Have you deleted tags in the target segment, or not entered the text in the target segment in exactly in the same location it was in the source segment?

My understanding is as follows. Take this imaginary source segment.

TAG-A-START Hello TAG-A-END TAG-B-START My name is Jane TAG-B-END

Let's assume that Tag A specifies the font as Japanese MS Gothic. Let's also assume that Tag B specifies the font as Japanese MS Mincho. In the text in the source segment above, "Hello" would be in MS Gothic and "My name is Jane" would be in MS Mincho.

If you place the translated text in the same locations, the fonts should be preserved.

TAG-A-START こんにちは TAG-A-END TAG-B-START ジェーンといいます TAG-B-END

こんにちは should be in MS Gothic and ジェーンといいます should be in MS Mincho.

If you ignore the tags in the target segment and put the text in different places, like this, the output will be different.

TAG-A-START TAG-A-END TAG-B-START こんにちは ジェーンといいます TAG-B-END

In the above case, こんにちは ジェーンといいます will be in MS Mincho, because there is no text between the tags that specify MS Gothic, only between the tags that specify MS Mincho. Here's an actual example.

tagexample

My initial hypothesis is that this is where your problem lies - but I could be wrong. That is, it seems likely to me that you are ignoring tags and putting text in anywhere. Turn your tags on using "Full Tag Text" from the View tab of the Studio ribbon and you may see what is causing this.

However, if you are respecting the location of tags and it is still causing problems, then I am out of ideas and I can only suggest you try the SDL forum:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90

Oh, and as far as I know, you cannot specify the font yourself.

Regards,
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TRADOS 2017 translates a word file to Mincho font. Is there any way to keep the same font?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »