Is it really worth to complete DPSI (Law)? Dull future for legal interpreters?
Thread poster: sebastiansek
sebastiansek
sebastiansek
United Kingdom
Mar 19, 2018

Hello All,

I have completed preparatory course for DPSI (Law) and I am about to sit all exams in November 2018. However, I have spoken with few fully qualified interpreters, mostly from Poland, and all of them are barely make a living. In addition, three of four consider leaving profession due poor rates and lack of sustainability.

Would you kindly share your views on this subject.

Thanks,
Sebastian

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:33
German to English
+ ...
Based on my personal experience I would say no; may depend on your working languages Mar 20, 2018

Hi Sebastian,

I did my DPSI (also the law option) the year after my MA, and while the MA was certainly helpful for me to get established as a freelance interpreter (conference mainly), the DPSI was interesting but has led to virtually no work for me. My main language is German, it might be different for other languages, but from a pure business viewpoint the investment did not pay off.

I hope this helps and also that others might have a more positive story to tell. I am
... See more
Hi Sebastian,

I did my DPSI (also the law option) the year after my MA, and while the MA was certainly helpful for me to get established as a freelance interpreter (conference mainly), the DPSI was interesting but has led to virtually no work for me. My main language is German, it might be different for other languages, but from a pure business viewpoint the investment did not pay off.

I hope this helps and also that others might have a more positive story to tell. I am quite happy with how things developed actually as working for the private sector is really enjoyable and you can certainly get much better rates.

Best wishes,

Jan
Collapse

sebastiansek
sebastiansek
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
It sounds about right Mar 20, 2018

Hello Jan,

Thank you for your response.

Today I had a chat with an interpreter with five years of experience in public sector interpreting (police, courts, immigration and medical etc), and he is also moving to private sector after completing his MA in Conference Interpreting. To quote him 'if you want to live from interpreting you should SERIOUSLY consider moving to conference interpreting or you will have to accept poor public sector rates, conditions and financial
... See more
Hello Jan,

Thank you for your response.

Today I had a chat with an interpreter with five years of experience in public sector interpreting (police, courts, immigration and medical etc), and he is also moving to private sector after completing his MA in Conference Interpreting. To quote him 'if you want to live from interpreting you should SERIOUSLY consider moving to conference interpreting or you will have to accept poor public sector rates, conditions and financial prospects'

Anyway, thank you for your input.

Sebastian
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it really worth to complete DPSI (Law)? Dull future for legal interpreters?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »