I am not a robot
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:24
Dutch to English
Apr 4, 2017

I keep having to verify that I'm not a robot when searching with google by checking a box and identifying various objects in a picture (happens in both IE and Chrome). Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,

Olly

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Why? Apr 4, 2017

It's just a "normal" CAPTCHA feature :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

Kind regards

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Don't really know Apr 4, 2017

Of course it's a CAPTCHA. I don't think anyone was wondering about that. The question is why it's showing up and what to do about it. It is obviously not normal for google to give you a captcha before you search.

It has happened to me before. I looked into it a little then. It pops up because google detected suspicious activity from your IP. I.e. google thinks some bot is using your internet connection. It could be somebody hacking into your wifi router, or a virus on your computer.
... See more
Of course it's a CAPTCHA. I don't think anyone was wondering about that. The question is why it's showing up and what to do about it. It is obviously not normal for google to give you a captcha before you search.

It has happened to me before. I looked into it a little then. It pops up because google detected suspicious activity from your IP. I.e. google thinks some bot is using your internet connection. It could be somebody hacking into your wifi router, or a virus on your computer... or just a false positive from Google's system that you can't do anything about. I would: check if there are unknown computers on your wifi, and run a boot-time virus scan. In my case I couldn't find the cause.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
It's maddening and breaks your train of thought Apr 4, 2017

It has not happened to me (yet), but I have heard of a couple of colleagues who have had the problem.

I would be furious. I find it irritating enough when my dictionary ends the session and logs me out halfway through a translation... and I have to click five or six times to log in again.
By then I have forgotten what it was I wanted to look up...

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:24
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Phone only Apr 4, 2017

Happens to me all the time when searching on my phone, never on a desktop or laptop. Only with Google. I suppose it's the cost of getting the use of Google's search engine for free. See https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640 a... See more
Happens to me all the time when searching on my phone, never on a desktop or laptop. Only with Google. I suppose it's the cost of getting the use of Google's search engine for free. See https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/86640 and https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/awZUMy_sah0

[Edited at 2017-04-04 11:31 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A necessary evil? Apr 4, 2017

I use Google several times a day to research things and I don't recall ever having to fill in a captcha to do so. However, if it really is a security measure, I suppose it is a small price to pay for such a useful free service, although I admit I would find it extremely irritating if I had to fill one in every time I had a query to make.

PS: Apparently one of my email accounts has been hacked, as a friend of mine recently received an email purporting to be from me with the heading "
... See more
I use Google several times a day to research things and I don't recall ever having to fill in a captcha to do so. However, if it really is a security measure, I suppose it is a small price to pay for such a useful free service, although I admit I would find it extremely irritating if I had to fill one in every time I had a query to make.

PS: Apparently one of my email accounts has been hacked, as a friend of mine recently received an email purporting to be from me with the heading "This might interest you" and a link in it, which she didn't click on, as she knows I'm more likely to text her or drop by her house than send an email. The email given as the source of the message was nothing to do with me and didn't include any of my details, although my name did appear in the From header section of the email.

[Edited at 2017-04-04 11:56 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Phone Apr 4, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Happens to me all the time when searching on my phone, never on a desktop or laptop.

Hmmm. I wonder if its related to my having switched to a mobile provider for my home internet connection (faster than wired where I live).

Olly

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Google account Apr 4, 2017

Are you logged in to a Google account when it happens?

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Logged out Apr 4, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Edit: no I'm not logged in for searching. I search through intelliwebsearch in a separate browser to the one I use for other stuff.

Thanks,

Olly

[Edited at 2017-04-04 12:00 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:24
Danish to English
+ ...
Logged in Apr 4, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Yes, I'm always logged in. Do I need to try logging out?

No I don't think you should log out. I thought if you are logged in, Google should know you better than if you're not logged in and therefore not keep pestering you with this.

{Edit: you just moved the goalposts, so:
Delete: [But that is apparently irrelevant.]
Insert: Try being logged in.}

It almost never happens to me. Maybe your IP address is in a 'bad neighbourhood'. But I’m guessing.

You could try another Google domain, for example google.com (the one I use) instead of your local Google, but I'm grasping at straws.

[Edited at 2017-04-04 12:12 GMT]

Patricia Ferreira Larrieux
Patricia Ferreira Larrieux  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
This has happeneed to me... Apr 4, 2017

at times, when I performed many consecutive searches in a short time span.

Unfortunately, I don't know any workaround... I usually just bear with it...

Best,
Patricia

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now logged in Apr 4, 2017

[quote]Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I thought if you are logged in, Google should know you better than if you're not logged in and therefore not keep pestering you with this.

Well I tried logging in but just got another CAPTCHA, so that wasn't it. I regularly fire of dozens of searches during the working day to find or verify terms or expressions; I wonder if google is just getting sick of me...

Olly

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Same as Patricia Apr 4, 2017

It happened to me once, and the message I received indicated that, like Patricia, I had performed too many searches in a short time-span. I was seriously annoyed as the reason I was going so fast is because I was on a tight deadline with a lot of place-names to look up and verify.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
proxies, vpns, Inet-protocols, AD-blockers, AV settings, viri, whatever Apr 4, 2017

Everything what messes with your connections--be it AP switching (roaming), shared connections, DNS-restrictions, wrong cookies, anti-ADware, outdated signatures, or even malware (a virus or a Trojan) might appear making the same connection/query from seemingly *different* sources, which is rather suspicious.

On the other hand, too many searches also count)

First of all, I would remember when/how it started, double-checked the system and run something like CCleaner.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:24
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Google Search Results Apr 4, 2017

It happens to me all the time. Then again, I search the web using Google too many times a day. I am talking about my home computer here. If you start a search, and do not go any further than, say a few pages Google search results, it might not happen at all. However, when I make a search, I usually go at least several pages of Google search results in hopes of finding exactly what I am looking for. At that point, Google says "unusual activity", and gives me "I am not a robot" check. It do... See more
It happens to me all the time. Then again, I search the web using Google too many times a day. I am talking about my home computer here. If you start a search, and do not go any further than, say a few pages Google search results, it might not happen at all. However, when I make a search, I usually go at least several pages of Google search results in hopes of finding exactly what I am looking for. At that point, Google says "unusual activity", and gives me "I am not a robot" check. It does annoy me sometimes but I do not know a way around it. I am usually logged in to Google when this happens.Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am not a robot

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »