Thread poster: Farid Chahmat
Farid Chahmat
Farid Chahmat
Algeria
Local time: 03:39
English to Arabic
Mar 25, 2016

Dear All,
I am a French/English to Arabic Freelance translator and would like to ask about the importance of a personal website for the business. I want to create my personal website but I want to hear from your previous experiences if you really benifited from the creation of this website in getting more translation projects. Have you every been contacted directly via your personal website?
Thanks in advance for your answers
Farid

makieh
makieh
Iran
Local time: 06:09
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
The Importance of a translation website Mar 25, 2016

hi
i had two translation websites in three years. i live in Iran and translate Farsi to English. for me i didn't benefit a lot. i had a few clients, a handful. i think its the matter of CEO and search engines. if you can enhance your website CEO to appear in the first page of search results it will be OK. if i doesn't cost a lot i recommend you to give it a try, but do all your best to enhance search.

Farid Chahmat
Farid Chahmat
Algeria
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Necessity to create a website Mar 25, 2016

Thank you for the answer Makieh,
I am from Algeria and the reason behind the website idea is the recession in the Algerian market. In fact, I plan to target clients from Worldwide and that's why I asked for previos experiences. Thanks for sharing your experience any way.

[Edited at 2016-03-25 18:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-25 18:22 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I used to think a website was essential... Mar 25, 2016

... but now I'm not so sure. Most of my new customers come to me from my ProZ profile, and I would strongly recommend filling out yours to provide a lot more information. In particular, you need some sample translations so potential customers can see the quality you provide.

I find my website a useful adjunct. It has more details of, for example, the books I've translated, and comments from satisfied customers - but I almost never get work from it. That's probably because, as makieh
... See more
... but now I'm not so sure. Most of my new customers come to me from my ProZ profile, and I would strongly recommend filling out yours to provide a lot more information. In particular, you need some sample translations so potential customers can see the quality you provide.

I find my website a useful adjunct. It has more details of, for example, the books I've translated, and comments from satisfied customers - but I almost never get work from it. That's probably because, as makieh says above, ProZ is so much better optimized for search engines than my website.

[Edited at 2016-03-25 17:52 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:39
German to English
Depends on what you want it to do. Mar 26, 2016

Farid, I use one and noticed from looking at statistics that many outsourcers do check me out there before contacting me, probably just to make sure I am legit.

I made a simple website using a free wordpress blog template and renting the URL (not expensive). It looks and functions like a normal website, in my case as a virtual visiting card with my contact information and a few words about what I do. A lot more is possible but up til now I've been too busy to get into it.

[Ed
... See more
Farid, I use one and noticed from looking at statistics that many outsourcers do check me out there before contacting me, probably just to make sure I am legit.

I made a simple website using a free wordpress blog template and renting the URL (not expensive). It looks and functions like a normal website, in my case as a virtual visiting card with my contact information and a few words about what I do. A lot more is possible but up til now I've been too busy to get into it.

[Edited at 2016-03-26 06:55 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Zero (for me) Mar 26, 2016

I'm a working, self-employed translator and I don't have a website. About 15 years ago, I thought it might be useful to have one, but at the end of the day, the time and cost involved in creating and maintaining one would outweigh the advantages from my point of view.

Farid Chahmat
Farid Chahmat
Algeria
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answers Mar 26, 2016

Thank you for the answers Neilmac, Kristina and Gitte. I can see different opinions and apparently eveybody is talking about his/her own experience. Thank you for the advice as well, you look all very experienced and your ideas are much appreciated.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Time is money Mar 28, 2016

Gitte Hovedskov wrote:
Nothing to lose there, I think.

Except time.

Like proz.com, LinkedIn, Facebook or whatever else, if you don't seriously invest time and/or money in a website (SEO, ranking...), I think your chances of generating business through yet another channel are close to zilch.

I don't invest time in my website, so the business leverage is zero.
However, having something doesn't hurt, and a website URL will complement your contact details.

Philippe

[Edited at 2016-03-28 11:15 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Websites signal competency. Or non-competency. Mar 28, 2016

Gitte Hovedskov wrote:

Nothing to lose there, I think.

Nothing, except customers who check the site because they want to assess the linguistic competency.

Some of such sites, as well as some sample translations in ProZ profiles, have a negative effect. Anyway, I assume that such texts represent the very best texts the respective person will ever be able to produce. Simply put: 1 mistake per page in a sample leads one to assume 5 mistakes per page in a paid translation.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:39
Chinese to English
Hire an English editor Mar 28, 2016

Farid, if you're targeting clients worldwide, then I assume your website will be in English? If so, as you're not a native English speaker, it's essential that you hire or find a native English speaking professional to edit the English on your website to a native English-level.

Fair or not, overseas clients absolutely will assess you based on the quality of English on your website, and you'd probably be better off with no website at all then one featuring lots of mistakes. Conversel
... See more
Farid, if you're targeting clients worldwide, then I assume your website will be in English? If so, as you're not a native English speaker, it's essential that you hire or find a native English speaking professional to edit the English on your website to a native English-level.

Fair or not, overseas clients absolutely will assess you based on the quality of English on your website, and you'd probably be better off with no website at all then one featuring lots of mistakes. Conversely, if you do have professional, mistake-free English on your website, it will set you apart from the many translators and agencies who do not, giving you a better chance at finding more work.

So do go for the website, but then spend the 50-100 dollars it will take to get the English in proper order

Edit: And your English is quite good obviously Farid, but when it comes to marketing, there's a huge difference between good and native. I would also use an editor if making a Chinese language website.

[Edited at 2016-03-28 11:44 GMT]
Collapse

Farid Chahmat
Farid Chahmat
Algeria
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the Advice preston Decker Mar 28, 2016

You are right Preston.
I will try to hire a native English editor once the website is completed.
May be I will be in touch with you for the editing process if possible.
Your advice is very much appreciated.
Thank you very much and have a nice day

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Importance of a translation website

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »