Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:22
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2016

I use tlTerm, an amazing terminology management program created by a company called ‘TshwaneDJe Human Language Technology’, to manage all of my translation-related terminology. However, even though the program is great, their official mailing list isn't so hot, and so I was wondering if anyone here uses the program? If anyone does, I would love to create a dedicated forum here on the site to discuss th... See more
I use tlTerm, an amazing terminology management program created by a company called ‘TshwaneDJe Human Language Technology’, to manage all of my translation-related terminology. However, even though the program is great, their official mailing list isn't so hot, and so I was wondering if anyone here uses the program? If anyone does, I would love to create a dedicated forum here on the site to discuss the program.

The same question applies to their other two programs, tlCorpus (which I used to build and search corpora) and TLex (tlTerm's big brother, aimed at compiling dictionaries).

some_text

tlTerm has an amazing feature where it will automatically look up any word you have currently selected (or that your caret is on/in) in MS Word and display it in a resizeable lookup window:

some_text

I currently translate primarily in Felix, a Word-based CAT tool, and always have my tlTerm lookup window open on my second screen.

Michael

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *

"tlTerm (aka TshwaneTerm) is a fully internationalized, off-the-shelf software application for compiling terminology lists (termbase editor) that supports any language, and can function as a standalone or multi-user editor. It also includes 'instant publish to Web' capability if you are using it with TLex Online. The tlTerm Terminology Software brings the power of the widely recognized TLex dictionary compilation software to terminology.

• Microsoft Word integration provides translators with instant access to the terms they need
• Multi-user system with privileges and tracking
• Supports any language (full Unicode support)
• Integrated scripting [Advanced]
• Supports industry standards (XML, TBX, Unicode)
• Improves the speed, quality and consistency of terminology work
• Publish to hardcopy, Web or electronically
• Integrated Corpus Query System
• Advanced search/query system
• Multi-user or single-user support
• Easy to use
• Fast
• Highly customisable fields
• Advanced 'Search Filter' "

[Edited at 2016-01-28 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Jan 31, 2016

I wasn't exactly expecting an overwhelming response, but not a single person?

Michael

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
What's the USP? Jan 31, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

Actually I dutifully trotted off for a look. It wasn't really clear to me how this would fit into my existing workflow, or be better than the termbase functions built into the software I use (Studio).

Dan

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My current workflow Jan 31, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Actually I dutifully trotted off for a look. It wasn't really clear to me how this would fit into my existing workflow, or be better than the termbase functions built into the software I use (Studio).

Dan

Yes, that's probably why so few of us translators are actually using it, or any full-blown terminology solution for that matter: most people either use the termbase functionality built into their CAT tool, or (and I suspect this applies to most of us) none at all.

I have recently been translating in a Word-based CAT tool (Felix) once again, which also has its own termbase functionality (as pretty much all CAT tools these days), but I currently use a combination of Felix's built-in glossaries and my big tlTerm dictionary. The key word here being ‘dictionary’.

I use tlTerm to build and maintain my massive dictionary project (‘Wordbook’), which contains all manner of things that I don't do in my Felix glossaries, such as clickable URLs, images, all kinds of definitions, notes, usage examples, reliability levels, etc. I use the basic glossaries in Felix for one thing only: client glossaries. If a client sends me a glossary I'm supposed to use, I quickly convert it into a Felix glossary. However, all other terminology goes into my big tlTerm dictionary. Since I am now using a Word-based CAT tool, all I need to do is place my caret in or on a word in MS Word, and tlTerm will automatically look it up and display it in its special lookup window (which I have permanently open on my second monitor).

Basically, tlTerm's USP is it is a way better program to maintain and work on large termbases than any of the ones built into CAT tools.

Michael

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Interesting Jan 31, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
Basically, tlTerm's USP is it is a way better program to maintain and work on large termbases than any of the ones built into CAT tools.

Well, I shall take another look.
Somewhat amused that you found your way to Felix, which for obvious reasons has its adherents in my own language pair.

Dan

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 22:22
Dictionary style Jan 31, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

I'm quite sure it is. Even publishers use it for their dictionaries.

After quitting the army (where I worked as a technical translator), I started translating as a freelancer, 29 years ago. I was really fascinated by the van Dale dictionaries, that were quite young then. I worked as a freelancer for Kluwer who created a range of Polytechnic Dictionaries. Later, I founded DidakTerm, a company that would teach languages, create translations and do lexicographic research. In all 'modern European languages'.

Right. Dream on.

In the beginning (Term>Tracer!), I was very meticulous in entering all kinds of info in my terminology database. Even in TermStar I did so (it's a great tool to create dictionaries).

Now I 'only' translate technical manuals for packaging machines, in one language direction.

I use my glossaries primarily as 'food for auto-assembling' for my CAT tool (though I occasionally add 'Dictionary Style' info -- old habits etc.). I'm not sure whether global Find and Replace operations in tlTerm are possible, but I find myself performing these during my translations all time. I'm constantly refining my terminology, both during a translation project and during the year.

For my own work, I found that a plain tab-delimited glossary best suits my needs.

BTW: Why do you use the advertising material of tlTerm, and not screenshots of your own dictionaries? Don't have the time to fill them either?

PS A decent CAT tool will allow you to add URLs and images to glossaries etc., while still maintaining a flat file format.

[Edited at 2016-01-31 16:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Calling all tlTerm users (if any)!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »