Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:48
French to German
+ ...
Jan 27, 2016

Hi!

I just tried to send a file (PowerPoint) as an attachment to an e-mail. (Size about 20MB, normally I can send up to 70 MB).

The mail was not received, I tried again from other mail-accounts, still not possible.

The big problem was that I did not get any error message at all!
(I discovered it when the client was contacting me as he was waiting in vain for his translation! It was no problem to send mails without attachment to the client.)
... See more
Hi!

I just tried to send a file (PowerPoint) as an attachment to an e-mail. (Size about 20MB, normally I can send up to 70 MB).

The mail was not received, I tried again from other mail-accounts, still not possible.

The big problem was that I did not get any error message at all!
(I discovered it when the client was contacting me as he was waiting in vain for his translation! It was no problem to send mails without attachment to the client.)

Problem solved by sending with wetransfer.

Does anybody know what kind of problem this could be?
I do not want to write "Please confirm that you got my mail" every time I send something...

Thanks in advance for ideas!

[Edited at 2016-01-27 13:43 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:48
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Email reliability Jan 27, 2016

The problem is that email is an inherently unreliable method of communication, despite its widespread use. The mail travels through a long list of unknown servers en route to its destination, so while your mail server and your recipient's mail server behave predictably, it could be getting lost along the way. The presence of large attachments can trigger this in some server that you have no control over.

I have a dropbox in which I place large files. Then all that's necessary is
... See more
The problem is that email is an inherently unreliable method of communication, despite its widespread use. The mail travels through a long list of unknown servers en route to its destination, so while your mail server and your recipient's mail server behave predictably, it could be getting lost along the way. The presence of large attachments can trigger this in some server that you have no control over.

I have a dropbox in which I place large files. Then all that's necessary is to send the link to the dropbox and the document doesn't travel by email. In addition to being more reliable this is much more secure, since the document never appears in an email and uploading/downloading is encrypted and unable to be intercepted by anyone.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Attachment too big Jan 27, 2016

Christina Baier wrote:
Size about 20MB, normally I can send up to 70 MB

Normally, it is the size of the attachment that your addressee can receive, that matters, and not the size of the file that you can send. If the addressee's email service allows him/her receiving files only up to 10 MB, emails with larger attachments don't get through. Notifications (or their absence) depend on the email server setup.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:48
English to Russian
A must Jan 28, 2016

I always add something like "Please confirm that you got my mail" and contact the client at the end of a day if it does not.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Aside from attachment issue Jan 28, 2016

Like others, I would never send an e-mail with attachments totalling over 10 MB and am hesitant with anything over 5 MB. Dropbox, etc. are free or cheap and quick and easy to use (if you write down the correct steps and the possible pitfalls the first few times you use them and then use those notes when you suddenly need to send something six months later).

However, I do have problems with my e-mails without attachments being very unpredictably blocked (sometimes if I send four e-ma
... See more
Like others, I would never send an e-mail with attachments totalling over 10 MB and am hesitant with anything over 5 MB. Dropbox, etc. are free or cheap and quick and easy to use (if you write down the correct steps and the possible pitfalls the first few times you use them and then use those notes when you suddenly need to send something six months later).

However, I do have problems with my e-mails without attachments being very unpredictably blocked (sometimes if I send four e-mails to a single address in a single day, three arrive and one gets lost) and I often do not receive any notification of this fact.

Someone told me a long time ago that domain e-mails ought to have a name and not "info" in front of them (wetzel@... instead of info@...). Does anyone have any good advice about how to minimize the number of e-mails that gets blocked and to maximize the number of notifications we receive when our e-mails do get blocked?
Collapse

Christina B.
Christina B.  Identity Verified
Sweden
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virus protection? Jan 28, 2016

Thank you all for your advice!

I will try dropbox. Is this better than using wetransfer? One of my customers uses wetransfer and it is very easy to handle.

I have been googeling the issue und found that sometimes your virus protection can block outgoing e-mails with attachments without informing you. If this is the case you need to change the settings of your virus protection. I installed a new one a few days ago, so perhaps this was the problem?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Didn't mean to singe out Dropbox Jan 28, 2016

I'm perfectly happy with Dropbox, but would go with anything that is easy to use for the sender and recipient. I would assume there is little substantial difference between any of the leading services but that it is a pain to switch back and forth between them.

Virus protection would be a good place for me to look for possible problems. It is an ongoing issue for me, so it is not related to a recent update, but it would probably be good to take a look a those settings. And when I do
... See more
I'm perfectly happy with Dropbox, but would go with anything that is easy to use for the sender and recipient. I would assume there is little substantial difference between any of the leading services but that it is a pain to switch back and forth between them.

Virus protection would be a good place for me to look for possible problems. It is an ongoing issue for me, so it is not related to a recent update, but it would probably be good to take a look a those settings. And when I do get notifications, it looks like my e-mails are usually rejected by the client's server because spam has been reported as coming from my server. However, it may be that the blocked e-mails without notification tend to be caused by a different problem.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mails with attachm. not being received, without error message

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »