High-volume mobile internet when traveling in Europe
Thread poster: lusatia
lusatia
lusatia
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Apr 7, 2015

I am looking for affordable data packages to be able to use the internet working as a translator from "the middle of nowhere" in Western and Eastern Europe, traveling from country to country. Does anyone have any experience with that? Do you know if it's possible at all? All I can find are different prepaid usb modems with e.g. 3 GB for around 40 Euros/month, but after monitoring my data usage for a month I realized I would need about ten times as much. Do you know any provider that offers high-... See more
I am looking for affordable data packages to be able to use the internet working as a translator from "the middle of nowhere" in Western and Eastern Europe, traveling from country to country. Does anyone have any experience with that? Do you know if it's possible at all? All I can find are different prepaid usb modems with e.g. 3 GB for around 40 Euros/month, but after monitoring my data usage for a month I realized I would need about ten times as much. Do you know any provider that offers high-volume data packages for different European countries or will I have to buy a separate prepaid sim card in every country I go to? What I would like to avoid is looking for wifi hotspots everywhere I go and working from cafes etc., as I am planning to stay in rather remote places.Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes Apr 7, 2015

Each and every country has its own operators, but it is possible to use roaming for higher prices. For me it means if I cross the border to Sweden I can use my Finnish SIM-card but have to pay 2.99 Euro for each 50 Mb of data.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 09:57
English to German
30 GB/month on a mobile device? Apr 7, 2015

lusatia wrote:

3 GB for around 40 Euros/month, but after monitoring my data usage for a month I realized I would need about ten times as much.

30 GB/month? Or 30 Gbit/month?

I use the Net in my home office all day long but my counter reads about 5 to 8 GB/month only.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Found this online... Apr 7, 2015

... but I've not tried it. Maybe you can look into it, it seems interesting:
http://www.tepwireless.com/wifi/europe

lusatia
lusatia
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That looks interesting indeed Apr 8, 2015

Thanks Giuseppina, that's the most interesting offer I've seen so far. I will have a further look and let you know as soon as I've found the best solution.

Cécile Sellier
Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 11:57
English to French
+ ...
Mobile internet solutions? Apr 16, 2015

Hello,

I’m looking for the same sort of information as I’m going travelling for an undetermined period of time, starting with at least several months in Italy

Has anyone got information on mobile internet solutions in Italy?
At the moment I have a French smartphone contract. Can I unlock it and use my phone with an Italian SIM card? Does anyone know about internet dongle offers in Italy?
O
... See more
Hello,

I’m looking for the same sort of information as I’m going travelling for an undetermined period of time, starting with at least several months in Italy

Has anyone got information on mobile internet solutions in Italy?
At the moment I have a French smartphone contract. Can I unlock it and use my phone with an Italian SIM card? Does anyone know about internet dongle offers in Italy?
Or is there a provider apart from Tep that offers multi-country solutions? (I find Tep really expensive compared to other 3G solutions).

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice!

Cécile
Collapse

Marila Tosi
Marila Tosi  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:57
English to Italian
+ ...
Internet solutions in Italy Apr 16, 2015

Hello Cécile,
depending on which cities you're going to visit in Italy, Wi-Fi can be available in shopping malls or train stations, among other public spaces. Generally, Internet connection speed is medium to low and coverage is not always assured in all areas, especially in little towns, on hills or mountains. I suggest you to buy an Internet Key from the main Italian provider for Internet and voice, called TIM/Telecom. They offer Internet packs with traffic included (5-10 GB monthly), y
... See more
Hello Cécile,
depending on which cities you're going to visit in Italy, Wi-Fi can be available in shopping malls or train stations, among other public spaces. Generally, Internet connection speed is medium to low and coverage is not always assured in all areas, especially in little towns, on hills or mountains. I suggest you to buy an Internet Key from the main Italian provider for Internet and voice, called TIM/Telecom. They offer Internet packs with traffic included (5-10 GB monthly), you can see an example of a pack here: http://www.tim.it/prodotti/modem-wifi-tim-422
I am in doubt if you can buy such a solution if you do not have an Italian personal identification number ("codice fiscale" in Italian), but you certainly can ask more information to clerks in TIM shops.
Alternatively you can search for hotels offering Wi-Fi connection in rooms. This has been the best solution for me all the times I traveled around Europe.
Best,

Marila
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

High-volume mobile internet when traveling in Europe

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »