Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 00:53
English to German
To be (sure) or not to be (sure), that is the question Apr 18, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:

I'm not sure about what the above picture shows/proves.

But I'm sure about what can be read here:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/115/en

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 05:53
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sorry for not answering your last question Apr 18, 2014

Rolf Keller wrote:
I'm not sure about what the above picture shows/proves.

It was supposed to show that I can still restore deleted files, even if I deleted them ages ago. But the screenshot doesn't make that clear. Your link is clear enough, though, so I don't understand why I can still restore those files.

Cheers,

Hans

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Samsung Apr 18, 2014

Alain Alameddine wrote:

I'm very happy with Dropbox, but I'm almost out of space, so I'm considering alternatives.

I don't want to use Sky Drive because it's too "embedded" in my Windows, and I don't like that.

I thought of Google Drive, but I've already eaten up 60% of my 15 GB in Gmail, so I'll quickly be out of space with Google Drive, too. Besides, I've read that it converts all Office documents into Google documents - Is this true?

So I did some research and found www.copy.com, which seems to be the solution. Has anybody tried it? Will I still be able to share a TM with a colleague for both of us to use simultaneously? What happens if my colleague and I open a Word file and make changes to it simultaneously, will it behave the way Dropbox does (create conflicted files) or the way Google Drive does (update the file in real time)?

Any and all input welcome!

Alain

Samsung Smartphnes (new models) gives 48 GB free space for 2 years on Dropbox.
Install dropbox on samsung device and you will get an email about how to claim your 48 GB free space.

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 01:53
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Samsung! Apr 18, 2014

I did sign in my Dropbox account on my Samsung device... And it worked! I got my 48 GB It's valid for 1 year, so I'll give this issue my attention next year Thank you Ali!

Alain

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
English to Spanish
Carbonite Apr 18, 2014

I am also looking for an online storage service.

Does anybody have experience with Carbonite?

The basic service is US$60/year (US$5/month).

Their website says: "Unlimited Cloud Storage Space".

http://www.carbonite.com/backup/pricing-plans/personal-plans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
¡Hola Hans! Apr 18, 2014

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:
It will be deleted after 30 days. Except, if you have an enterprise account

It doesn't seem so, and I only have a free account (I'm Dutch).

Cheers,

Hans

As far as I know, if you have a free account, and you delete a file in your DropBox folder, you will still be able to access it for 30 days. Are you saying that (1) you have a free account, (2) you can delete a file and still recover it after, say, 259 days?

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PS: Apr 18, 2014

I just checked and noticed that I have earned 35.25 extra (free) GB so far!

Michael

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Data safety should be provided by one's brain, not by any cloud service provider Apr 19, 2014

1 – Get clear what you want to achieve. "I want much storage space for little money" is no real objective.

2 – Make sure that the solution you choose will fit to #1.

3 – Don't forget a worst-case backup. In case of theft (laptop?) or hardware crash you should be able to restore your complete working environment including any software plus updates and tricky or convenient settings you (or a friendly helper) may have made two years ago.

Actuall
... See more
1 – Get clear what you want to achieve. "I want much storage space for little money" is no real objective.

2 – Make sure that the solution you choose will fit to #1.

3 – Don't forget a worst-case backup. In case of theft (laptop?) or hardware crash you should be able to restore your complete working environment including any software plus updates and tricky or convenient settings you (or a friendly helper) may have made two years ago.

Actually you need a special image backup software for that. But make sure that this software is able to recover the data in a worst-case scenario. Will this software be able to get Internet access at all? Remember, you can't ask for help here (or anywhere else) if you have no browser running. Try out such a recovery action before it's too late.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Rolf: Apr 19, 2014

Totally agree.

First of all, I keep all important data in my Dropbox folder, so I can’t lose it, no matter what happens to my hardware at home. I also have everything on my Windows desktop synced to Dropbox, as well as a few important program folders that cannot be placed in the Dropbox folder (using Dropboxifier: http://dropboxifier.codeplex.com/ ), such as my TO3000 database, memoQ fold
... See more
Totally agree.

First of all, I keep all important data in my Dropbox folder, so I can’t lose it, no matter what happens to my hardware at home. I also have everything on my Windows desktop synced to Dropbox, as well as a few important program folders that cannot be placed in the Dropbox folder (using Dropboxifier: http://dropboxifier.codeplex.com/ ), such as my TO3000 database, memoQ folders, etc.

Second of all, I run a nightly system image backup of my entire OS (using Macrium Reflect), so that if disaster strikes (I can’t boot or my PC is infected with a virus), I can just revert to last night's image of my system. I will lose very little, because all my important data is synced to Dropbox anyway.

Michael
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Safety Apr 19, 2014

We are not discussing about having free online spaces or cheap online spaces here (at least I can say it on my behalf).

in Dropbox, OneDrive and GoogleDrive all data safety risks are user based, but not company based.
So discussing their eligibility is absolutely pointless here. Because they fully protect data as necessary.

Users should eliminate all risks themselves.
Strong password, virus, Trojan, phishing free computers etc all are users' responsibility.<
... See more
We are not discussing about having free online spaces or cheap online spaces here (at least I can say it on my behalf).

in Dropbox, OneDrive and GoogleDrive all data safety risks are user based, but not company based.
So discussing their eligibility is absolutely pointless here. Because they fully protect data as necessary.

Users should eliminate all risks themselves.
Strong password, virus, Trojan, phishing free computers etc all are users' responsibility.

If a person fails in providing his/her data safety or fails in data backup, this has nothing to do with DropBox, OneDrive or GoogleDrive.

Above mentioned companies (and I am sure there are other too) provide perfect and confident services, nothing to worry about them.
Collapse

EarlS (X)
EarlS (X)
United States
Copy Apr 19, 2014

I have the Samsung 48gb deal too. Was a lil disappointed that it was only 2 years. Don't wanna really have to deal with moving everything off there in 2 years. I was looking through another thread and someone mentioned "Copy" there as well. I checked it out and I'm digging it. They give you 15gb free right away and I signed up through a referral from the guy's post and got an extra 5gb for myself. So 20gb immediately. Also for every person you sign up they give you 5gb! That's waaay better than ... See more
I have the Samsung 48gb deal too. Was a lil disappointed that it was only 2 years. Don't wanna really have to deal with moving everything off there in 2 years. I was looking through another thread and someone mentioned "Copy" there as well. I checked it out and I'm digging it. They give you 15gb free right away and I signed up through a referral from the guy's post and got an extra 5gb for myself. So 20gb immediately. Also for every person you sign up they give you 5gb! That's waaay better than 500mb w/ DB. Between the 6 email accounts my wife and I have we got our storage up to 50GB without even bugging anyone we know. And that's forever not for 2 years.

Another thing I like is that they split the file size between the number of people using a shared folder. With DB each person has the full size of the shared folder. So basically with Copy if you have 2 people sharing a 20gb folder it's only 10gb each. Or if it's 4 people then that's 5gb each. Since we had setup 6 accounts already, and each of those accounts have 20gb, I setup a shared folder between all 6 accounts. So even though my wife and I will really only be using 2 of those accounts, the load will be split 6 ways. So we could theoretically store 150GB right now in that shared folder (50+20+20+20+20+20). Hopefully that made sense.

Here's a referral link if anyone want's to check it out.
https://copy.com?r=7p8u9x
You don't have to use the link but you loose out on the extra 5gb for being referred.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Carbonite Apr 19, 2014

I have been delighted with Carbonite. It sends everything I save on my machine up into the cloud, and I can access it anywhere.
In addition, when my laptop crashed, I was able to buy a new laptop, download the job I was working on, and finish it by the deadline.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Not so sure Apr 19, 2014

Ali Bayraktar wrote:

e other too) provide perfect and confident services, nothing to worry about them.

anyway it is not only about safety but about confidentially if you use it for your clients documents. Google, for example, scan all your documents.

In Wuala, for example, all files are encrypted on your computer; your password never leaves your computer ( http://www.wuala.com/en/learn/technology )

Regards

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I use it Apr 19, 2014

and some of my clients ...

Anyway, if someone want to try it, can use my invitation, I think you get so 6 instead 5 GB space:

http://www.wuala.com/referral/4CBAG35G564PJG7G7PJP

This functionality is a good thing for translators:
... See more
and some of my clients ...

Anyway, if someone want to try it, can use my invitation, I think you get so 6 instead 5 GB space:

http://www.wuala.com/referral/4CBAG35G564PJG7G7PJP

This functionality is a good thing for translators:

http://youtu.be/A154SYylAYw

Regards

[Edited at 2014-04-19 20:30 GMT]
Collapse

EarlS (X)
EarlS (X)
United States
Encryption Apr 19, 2014

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Copy has AES256 encryption for anyone that's interested. Use this link for 20gb free (instead of the normal 15gb)

https://copy.com?r=7p8u9x

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Alternatives to Dropbox?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »