Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:01
German to English
+ ...
Jun 5, 2011

Deeply saddened to only yesterday hear that our greatly respected colleague Hans Liepert is no longer among us. Apparently he passed away 10 days ago.

http://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/200138-helaas_zullen_we_collega_hans_liepert_in_het_vervolg_moeten_missen.html
... See more
Deeply saddened to only yesterday hear that our greatly respected colleague Hans Liepert is no longer among us. Apparently he passed away 10 days ago.

http://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/200138-helaas_zullen_we_collega_hans_liepert_in_het_vervolg_moeten_missen.html

and (on page 3)

http://www.proz.com/powwow/3497

I just wish to inform the community as it might have gone unnoticed.
Perhaps someone knew Hans well enough to pass on our condolescences to his family?

May he rest in peace,
Cilian
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:01
English to German
+ ...
*** Jun 5, 2011

Stuck with a tricky finance term? Hans’ answers were always right on the money.
He was a true professional; sharp-witted, dependable, and generous.

I will miss him very much.

In these sad days, my heart goes out to his closest friends and to his family

johanna

Inge Meinzer
Inge Meinzer  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Thank you, Cilian Jun 5, 2011

for passing on your message. Although I never met Hans in person, I found myself missing his presence here on ProZ.com of late. I am deeply saddened to know that we can no longer count on his lively participation. He will be remembered not only for the substance he brought to the discourse but also his personality. I know I am not alone in my admiration for Hans and would like to offer my condolences to his friends and family.

Inge

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It hurts so bad. Jun 6, 2011

Hans was one of our best translators. His brilliant work and his perfect sense of humor in his emails, on the phone or while having a beer will be irreplaceable.

This message hit hard.

Let's raise a glass in honor of Hans, we have lost a great colleague.

Thank you, Cilian, for forwarding the information.

Katja Schoone
Katja Schoone  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Jun 6, 2011

I am very grateful that I knew him in person. I have learned so many things from him, and that not only professionally. He was a person with presence, he entered a room and everybody knew in an instant, that this is a special, intelligent and interesting person.

I remember many late night tranlsations where I got stuck and couldn't find the right term, then after having checked around in google and my dictionaries and put it in Kudoz my last resort was writing an e-mail to Hans, and
... See more
I am very grateful that I knew him in person. I have learned so many things from him, and that not only professionally. He was a person with presence, he entered a room and everybody knew in an instant, that this is a special, intelligent and interesting person.

I remember many late night tranlsations where I got stuck and couldn't find the right term, then after having checked around in google and my dictionaries and put it in Kudoz my last resort was writing an e-mail to Hans, and no matter what time of day or night, the answer came promptly, precisley and in his unmistakable style that gave me my desperately searched for answer and a laugh at the same time.

I have also learned to calm down and not to try to always go through walls at least not always with the head

We have lost one of our best and I will miss him so much and will always remember him in the words he gave to me.

Nihil Desperandum!!!

[Bearbeitet am 2011-06-06 12:59 GMT]
Collapse

Craig Meulen
Craig Meulen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:01
German to English
RIP Jun 6, 2011

Can only echo the comments posted already. A sad loss for our little translator world.

Craig

Andrea Flaßbeck (X)
Andrea Flaßbeck (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Very sad Jun 6, 2011

I have “known” Hans for years on ProZ, and I was lucky to meet him in person last year. I will miss him greatly.

Andrea

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:01
German to English
+ ...
Acknowledgement at this year's gathering in Berlin Jun 6, 2011

Steffen Walter announced the news of Hans' death at this year's powwow, where he and others were clearly missed.

I met him only once last year, at the evening gathering the night before the main powwow meeting. I enjoyed his wit and company for a long evening of conversation and would gladly have done so again.

DDM
DDM  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
RIP Hans Jun 6, 2011

I - as many others - considered him the best in his field, and his support through this site was outstanding. RIP!!!

Sebastian Witte
Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I somehow liked this guy. Jun 6, 2011

I even got over it when he once clicked that red button that makes every Kudozian sick ...

I realized at the time that learning is what life is about.

Rest in peace.

[Edited at 2011-06-06 15:41 GMT]

Hanshan (X)
Hanshan (X)
Danke, Hans Jun 7, 2011

Der Tod ist groß.
Wir sind die Seinen
lachenden Munds.
Wenn wir uns mitten im Leben meinen,
wagt er zu weinen
mitten in uns.

(Rilke)

Johannes Mueller
Johannes Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Ich bin sehr traurig Jun 7, 2011

Ganz ehrlich- jetzt weiss ich erst, was ich an ihm hatte- und was mir fehlen wird. Ich wusste nicht, dass er krank war, aber mir fiel auf, dass ich in letzter Zeit keine Antworten mehr von ihm bekam. Und wenn ich Antworten von ihm bekam, dann waren die immer zu 100% richtig. Und das in einer nie gekannten Geschwindigkeit- manchmal waren es nur Sekunden.... und ich hatte ein gutes Gefühl und wusste, dass ich meine Übersetzung getrost abgeben konnte.

Vielen Dank für alles!
... See more
Ganz ehrlich- jetzt weiss ich erst, was ich an ihm hatte- und was mir fehlen wird. Ich wusste nicht, dass er krank war, aber mir fiel auf, dass ich in letzter Zeit keine Antworten mehr von ihm bekam. Und wenn ich Antworten von ihm bekam, dann waren die immer zu 100% richtig. Und das in einer nie gekannten Geschwindigkeit- manchmal waren es nur Sekunden.... und ich hatte ein gutes Gefühl und wusste, dass ich meine Übersetzung getrost abgeben konnte.

Vielen Dank für alles!

J. Müller
Collapse

Marian Pyritz
Marian Pyritz  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hans Jun 7, 2011

habe ich sehr geschätzt, als Kollegen und als Menschen.

Als Kollege war er sicher der versierteste und erfahrenste in unserer Niederländisch-Deutsch-Ecke. Er führt nicht ohne Grund die KudoZ-Rangliste an. Seine Uneigennützigkeit lässt sich schon daran erkennen, dass diese Hilfe für Kollegen sehr zeitintensiv war.

Ich habe gern mit ihm diskutiert und knifflige Fragen gelöst und natürlich auch mit ihm zusammengearbeitet. Im Bereich Finanzen konnte ich mich immer a
... See more
habe ich sehr geschätzt, als Kollegen und als Menschen.

Als Kollege war er sicher der versierteste und erfahrenste in unserer Niederländisch-Deutsch-Ecke. Er führt nicht ohne Grund die KudoZ-Rangliste an. Seine Uneigennützigkeit lässt sich schon daran erkennen, dass diese Hilfe für Kollegen sehr zeitintensiv war.

Ich habe gern mit ihm diskutiert und knifflige Fragen gelöst und natürlich auch mit ihm zusammengearbeitet. Im Bereich Finanzen konnte ich mich immer auf ihn verlassen.

Im April habe ich ihm nach seiner letzten schweren Operation gute Besserung gewünscht. Er antwortete: "Es herrscht keine negative Stimmung - ich hatte ein tolles Leben, mehr gibt's eben nicht." Es freut mich sehr für ihn, dass er das so sehen konnte. Und es macht den Abschied leichter.

Ich werde Hans nicht vergessen.

"Erst wenn ihr aus dem Fluss des Schweigens getrunken habt,
werdet ihr wahrhaft singen.
Und erst wenn ihr den Gipfel des Berges erklommen habt,
werdet ihr zu steigen beginnen."
(K. Gibran)
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hans, I'll try to walk in your track, but sure enough I can't walk in your shoes Jun 14, 2011

Sorry to hear your earhtly duty has ended, I hope your heavenly one is even bigger! I'm sure it's not too difficult for you.
Nice to read what your German colleagues write about you:
http://www.proz.com/forum/german/200918-hans_liepert_in_ehrendem_gedenken.html

Sabine Mertens
Sabine Mertens  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
...as it might have gone unnoticed... Aug 10, 2011

How could it have gone unnoticed... Although I never met Hans in Person, he was ever-present at proz.com, where he sure set the highest professional standards. Looking at some of the recent questions on my return from holiday I had already been wondering about Hans. Where was he? Why didn't he answer this one or that one? His punch was missing. Sadly now I know why. You must have been a true fellow, dear Hans. Thank you for barking at me at odd times...

Warm regards,

Sa
... See more
How could it have gone unnoticed... Although I never met Hans in Person, he was ever-present at proz.com, where he sure set the highest professional standards. Looking at some of the recent questions on my return from holiday I had already been wondering about Hans. Where was he? Why didn't he answer this one or that one? His punch was missing. Sadly now I know why. You must have been a true fellow, dear Hans. Thank you for barking at me at odd times...

Warm regards,

Sabine Mertens

"But people don't live or die people just float
(S)he went with the man in the long black coat."
(Bob Dylan)

[Edited at 2011-08-10 19:30 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

RIP Hans G. Liepert

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »