Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:21
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Jul 19, 2010

Hi,

I've been meaning to write this for a while now, but wanted to test it well first before continuing.

So, after testing Studio 2009 SP2 on two different OSs (Vista & 7), two different pcs and two different keyboards (who knows?), I came to the conclusion that the interface still cannot handle Hebrew very well at all.

I was hoping to hear from other Hebrew users of Studio 2009 SP2 to see if they encountered these erratic cursor/keyboard issues (al
... See more
Hi,

I've been meaning to write this for a while now, but wanted to test it well first before continuing.

So, after testing Studio 2009 SP2 on two different OSs (Vista & 7), two different pcs and two different keyboards (who knows?), I came to the conclusion that the interface still cannot handle Hebrew very well at all.

I was hoping to hear from other Hebrew users of Studio 2009 SP2 to see if they encountered these erratic cursor/keyboard issues (all in the Eng>Heb direction):

1. The Home and End keys don't work properly on the Hebrew side. I.e., they don't move the cursor to the beginning or the end of a line, as expected.

2. Even when the cursor goes to the end of a segment, it seems to stand before (to the right of) the full stop. (Although it's actually at the very end, since a left arrow will take it to the next segment.)

Did I miss something or is it a serious problem?

Thanks, Doron
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any Hebrew users of Studio at all? Jul 20, 2010

Yes, yes, i know it's pathetic to answer to your own post...
But since about 60 people saw this post so far without replying,
i have to ask the following question:

Does any translator into Hebrew use Studio at all?

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:21
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
I experienced the same problems Jan 8, 2011

I am sorry for the late reply, Doron, but I have just recently started using 2009. The most annoying thing is with the second problem you mentioned, and it is even worse than you described it: When editing a translated segment, it is not possible - or at least I could not so it - to edit the last character of the segment. Once I moved the cursor away from the last character character of the segment, I can not go back to it and delete it. Moreover, it is not possible to move beyond it and write o... See more
I am sorry for the late reply, Doron, but I have just recently started using 2009. The most annoying thing is with the second problem you mentioned, and it is even worse than you described it: When editing a translated segment, it is not possible - or at least I could not so it - to edit the last character of the segment. Once I moved the cursor away from the last character character of the segment, I can not go back to it and delete it. Moreover, it is not possible to move beyond it and write on.
So if I need to change the end of the segment, I need to rewrite the whole segment!!

Has anyone found a solution to this?

[Edited at 2011-01-08 10:28 GMT]
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that I know of... Jan 8, 2011

Hi Yiftah,

Since my post, I've downloaded SP3, and still the problem exists. So, I don't believe it's been dealt with yet. In the meantime, I'm using it for Heb>Eng only, which is a shame since I'm learning it well - yet can't use it for my main language pair...

Also, I haven't received any meaningfull information from SDL - I was hoping that when some other Hebrew translators would complain about it, perhaps someone there would wake up to this.

Sorry I cou
... See more
Hi Yiftah,

Since my post, I've downloaded SP3, and still the problem exists. So, I don't believe it's been dealt with yet. In the meantime, I'm using it for Heb>Eng only, which is a shame since I'm learning it well - yet can't use it for my main language pair...

Also, I haven't received any meaningfull information from SDL - I was hoping that when some other Hebrew translators would complain about it, perhaps someone there would wake up to this.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Doron
Collapse

Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel
Yiftah Hellerman-Carmel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:21
Member (2005)
German to Hebrew
+ ...
Hebrew translators wake up!! Jan 9, 2011

This issue makes it horrible to translate into Hebrew with studio 2009. I paid a lot of money for the latest version of Trados and I can't use it. This is not right. Like Doron said, maybe if other translators would write about this problems the people in SDL will fix it.

rokabard
rokabard
English to Hebrew
+ ...
the problem persists Jun 7, 2012

Indeed Trados is a horrible software when it comes to left-to-right languages support.
Translating with Trados into Hebrew is absolute torture!

Unfortunately, SDL did nothing to fix this issue, and in Trados Studio 2011 the problem persists.

Jonathan Golan
Jonathan Golan
Israel
Member (2004)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Most Hebrew issues solved in Studio 2011 Jun 12, 2012

Hi guys,

I am glad to report that most of the Hebrew issues have been resolved in Studio 2011.

Any remaining issues (primarily in file filters) are being addressed seriously by SDL and should be resolved soon as well.

SDL have made available a special offer on the upgrade from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011, at a special price of NIS 150 + VAT.

Please contact me about this.

Many
... See more
Hi guys,

I am glad to report that most of the Hebrew issues have been resolved in Studio 2011.

Any remaining issues (primarily in file filters) are being addressed seriously by SDL and should be resolved soon as well.

SDL have made available a special offer on the upgrade from Studio 2009 to Studio 2011, at a special price of NIS 150 + VAT.

Please contact me about this.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Golan
[email protected]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 - problems with Hebrew

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »