Anyone suffering from fibromyalgia among us?
Thread poster: Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2019

Hi all,
I am translating some material on fibromyalgia and I thought I would ask if anyone is willing to share their experiences with translating while suffering from fibro.
A bit of context here: I am autistic, and when I disclose this, I always have to do this annoying little dance of "Oh but you don't LOOK autistic/I have an autistic cousin and he is nothing like you/But are you SURE that you're autistic?" and then I have to exhaust myself justifying something that it was challen
... See more
Hi all,
I am translating some material on fibromyalgia and I thought I would ask if anyone is willing to share their experiences with translating while suffering from fibro.
A bit of context here: I am autistic, and when I disclose this, I always have to do this annoying little dance of "Oh but you don't LOOK autistic/I have an autistic cousin and he is nothing like you/But are you SURE that you're autistic?" and then I have to exhaust myself justifying something that it was challenging for me to disclose in the first place. Mind you, I'm a doctor, so I could explain the intricacies of neuroanatomy involved, but that just goes over people's heads. However, translating this in-depth material on fibro made me realise that many of you must be going through very similar types of things, if not exactly the same thing! Constantly having to justify yourselves, having nobody believe you, having people expect you to "just behave like a normal person" at the expense of your sanity...

So I'm hoping someone is willing to share their experiences - I may not be able to reply extensively, but I would gladly read with interest. From what I gather, it would certainly help others too!
Thanks,
Sarai
Collapse

Rosalind Haigh
Rosalind Haigh  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:00
German to English
+ ...
I'm one Oct 8, 2019

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 5 years ago with all the classic symptoms (fatigue, poor sleep quality, headaches, stiffness, widespread pain, fibro fog). Fortunately I am able to manage the symptoms and work as much as I want to (or need to). I take medication which largely reduces the symptoms or enables me to live with them, but I still get extremely tired, and increasingly so as the working week progresses.

A great advantage of working freelance from home is that I can
... See more
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 5 years ago with all the classic symptoms (fatigue, poor sleep quality, headaches, stiffness, widespread pain, fibro fog). Fortunately I am able to manage the symptoms and work as much as I want to (or need to). I take medication which largely reduces the symptoms or enables me to live with them, but I still get extremely tired, and increasingly so as the working week progresses.

A great advantage of working freelance from home is that I can manage the tiredness by having a sleep during the day when I need to, and I do so almost every day! The general stiffness gets worse during cold weather so thank heavens for hot baths.

The only symptom that I can't seem to get rid of is tenderness around my right wrist - maybe related to the fact that I'm right-handed or that I type a lot - who knows?

My main nagging worry is that I am addicted to the medication I take, so will probably have to take it for the rest of my puff. And a bizarre side effect of it is that I used to be able to tell what time is to within just a few minutes when I wake up in the middle of the night, without looking at the clock or my phone, but now I haven't the faintest clue what time it is when I wake up!
Collapse

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds like you have it in check! Oct 9, 2019

Susannalangs wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I am glad to hear that you are working around your issues and hope that you can continue to function well for as long as possible. The lifestyle changes seem to be the hardest to implement, but apparently it helps if you have a supportive environment too? Hope you have that.
The issue of addiction to medication is complicated, but as a rule of thumb, if you experience actual symptoms as opposed to simply experiencing withdrawal, that's probably not so much addiction as being reliant on medication, but I'm not an expert in addiction by any means. However, I wouldn't call someone addicted to blood pressure medication or antidepressants if they were unable to live without them. Still, that's just my personal view.

Eric Hudson
Eric Hudson
United States
Local time: 07:00
English Middle (ca.1100-1500) to English
+ ...
me too Dec 11, 2020

I'm 35 years old and I suffer because of fybromyalgia yet. Though I used to think that it happens at about 50 years old

[Редактировалось 2020-12-12 10:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone suffering from fibromyalgia among us?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »