Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:24
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How does the story end? May 16, 2014

Emma, have you got your new glasses yet?

If you have, I hope you're as pleased with your glasses as I am with mine

I have to admit I'm interested to know what you think because my husband (who's not a translator) has been toying with the idea of changing to varifocals for some time.

He's worried about spending a small fortune on new glasses and then regretting it!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ongoing story May 16, 2014

Helena Chavarria wrote:

How does the story end?

Well, I was waiting until the end of the story to report back, but since you ask, Helena, here's my interim report.

I've had my varifocals for just over 2 weeks now. I adapted to them really well - within an hour or two in fact. Not a single headache and no dizziness. Driving, mid-distance (across the table at mealtimes), close-up reading is all great. But...

They're pretty hopeless with the computer. I have an area of about 12cm x 12cm on my main screen that is in focus. All the rest is legible but not crystal clear. The second monitor is worse. I have to raise my head up (=stiff neck) to focus.

The optician has gone back to the manufacturer with more specific requests (e.g. , my monitor is exactly 58 cm away from my eyes, and I need even more field for that particular distance). So next week I will be trying out new lenses.

Personally, I don't think they'll be able to achieve the result I need, so I'll probably get another pair of glasses just for computer work. I'm not disappointed with the varifocals though, because they've made the rest of my life so much easier.

Final report in due course...

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Final report Jun 18, 2014

Just to wrap up this thread:

I tried out some other lenses (see previous post) and these are a bit better for the computer, but not nearly good enough.

So, my final set-up is varifocals for everything except work, and special glasses just for the computer.

I'm happy with the outcome, because varifocals are brilliant for everything in my day to day life, including reading, cooking, driving, etc. And with the other glasses I have excellent vision of my two c
... See more
Just to wrap up this thread:

I tried out some other lenses (see previous post) and these are a bit better for the computer, but not nearly good enough.

So, my final set-up is varifocals for everything except work, and special glasses just for the computer.

I'm happy with the outcome, because varifocals are brilliant for everything in my day to day life, including reading, cooking, driving, etc. And with the other glasses I have excellent vision of my two computer screens, even when the font is small.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinions on varifocals/progressive glasses please

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »