Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Savour Nov 26, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Marta Maojo wrote:
Has anyone tried a coffee substitute that is satisfying?

Why do you want a substitute for coffee? What is it about coffee that you want to avoid? The caffeine? The sugar? The milk? The high cost? Tooth decay? Bad breath? Several of the substitutes mentioned so far cost far more than ordinary coffee, so clearly for those translators the high cost isn't what they're trying to avoid. But what do *you* want to avoid?

I suspect different translators in different countries may want to avoid it for different reasons. In some places, coffee is drunk with milk and sugar, but in others, it is taken unsweetened and unfattened. In some places, coffee is usually made in a coffee machine, using a processed cartridge, but in others, it is brewed in a pot or a plunger, and still others use powdered coffee (or coffee mixtures) that dissolve in boiling water. In some countries, coffee is drunk in thimbles of less than 100 ml, whereas in others coffee isn't really coffee unless the mug contains at least 500 ml.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 10:42 GMT]

For me, coffee is taken as something to sip in very small amounts and to savour, slowly, enjoying the aftertaste. It is something to think about. Not something to keep me working; not something to gulp down in large quantities regardless of time or place; and not a substitute for mother's milk (warm comforting liquid).

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:47
French to English
Hot water, Ty! Nov 26, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:
Admittedly I don't drink enough water, but I find it hard when living in a cold country. When I wake up and see my breath in the air, I crave a hot drink (usually tea) not a glass of water. When I am in Israel my water consumption skyrockets and hot drinks are kept to a minimum. So it guess it evens itself out.

The latest health fad, according to a translation I just finished, is to start the day with a cup of hot water and the juice of a lemon.

When I see how effective lemon juice and hot water is in shining up my copper teapot, I'm rather reluctant to inflict it on my digestive system first thing. For your comfort, I will refrain from going into any detail as to the nightmare scenario that pops up in my harebrain.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Why a substitute? Nov 26, 2013

Why should a substitute for coffee? How would that be "satisfying" if it is something different altogether? I enjoy the taste of coffee and I like a bit of caffeine to get me started in the morning plus another cup after lunch and I can see absolutely nothing wrong with this. There are studies that suggest that coffee can have a positive effect on your health, so I really don't see any reason to look for a substitute as long as you don't exaggerate. The dose makes the poison, I suppose.
... See more
Why should a substitute for coffee? How would that be "satisfying" if it is something different altogether? I enjoy the taste of coffee and I like a bit of caffeine to get me started in the morning plus another cup after lunch and I can see absolutely nothing wrong with this. There are studies that suggest that coffee can have a positive effect on your health, so I really don't see any reason to look for a substitute as long as you don't exaggerate. The dose makes the poison, I suppose.

I don't believe in "satisfying substitutes" anyway. It's a bit like suggesting to nibble on a carrot when you really crave some chocolate...
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tom Nov 26, 2013

Tom in London wrote:
For me, coffee is taken as something to sip in very small amounts and to savour, slowly, enjoying the aftertaste.

Sounds like diluted Bovril to me...

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Greek
+ ...
A substitute... Nov 26, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

For me, coffee is taken as something to sip in very small amounts and to savour, slowly, enjoying the aftertaste. It is something to think about. Not something to keep me working; not something to gulp down in large quantities regardless of time or place; and not a substitute for mother's milk (warm comforting liquid).

for mother's milk! I had not thought of it before... but maybe that describes it well for me!

When taste/pleasure is what matters I let somebody else make me a greek coffee. But it is not something to drink while working.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
A lifestyle for translators rather than diet tips... Nov 26, 2013

Something I've found interesting and often obviously sensible, particularly in a profession like this where one tends to be indoors glued to a keyboard a lot, is the Primal approach.

For those who haven't come across it before, one of the best sites for explaining this is Mark's Daily Apple where there are posts about nutrition, exercise and a variety of life aspects that are only too easily neglected because they aren't "essential"
... See more
Something I've found interesting and often obviously sensible, particularly in a profession like this where one tends to be indoors glued to a keyboard a lot, is the Primal approach.

For those who haven't come across it before, one of the best sites for explaining this is Mark's Daily Apple where there are posts about nutrition, exercise and a variety of life aspects that are only too easily neglected because they aren't "essential".

A good introductory post is this one about why it's important to play a musical instrument.

You may not agree with all/any of the advice, but a lot of it is at least thought-provoking and makes an ideal read while you have a [substitute coffee replacement of your choice] break!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Music Nov 26, 2013

JaneD wrote:

..... why it's important to play a musical instrument

Well, I play piano for the music. Not to stay healthy or anything, but because I'm interested in the music ! I can't think of any other reason for playing it ! But that website seems to think it's some sort of "therapy".....reminds of a guy I used to work with, for whom dancing was "dance therapy", conversation was "talking therapy", laughing was "laughter therapy" etc. A professional human being!

[Edited at 2013-11-26 15:54 GMT]

Kay Denney
France
French to English
therapy! Nov 26, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

JaneD wrote:

..... why it's important to play a musical instrument

Well, I play piano for the music. Not to stay healthy or anything, but because I'm interested in the music ! I can't think of any other reason for playing it ! But that website seems to think it's some sort of "therapy".....reminds of a guy I used to work with, for whom dancing was "dance therapy", conversation was "talking therapy", laughing was "laughter therapy" etc. A professional human being!

[Edited at 2013-11-26 15:54 GMT]

and those crazy people who snatch the last of whatever out of my hand down shopping centre talk about retail therapy!

Your former colleague sounds like someone who probably desperately needed real therapy but kept propping himself up with substitutes rather than face up to his real problems.

But still Tom, admit it: you like the music, it makes you feel good, right?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I want diet advice Nov 26, 2013

Never mind the music. What about diet? What's a healthy diet for a sedentary translator?

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Lemon juice Nov 26, 2013

Texte Style wrote:

When I see how effective lemon juice and hot water is in shining up my copper teapot, I'm rather reluctant to inflict it on my digestive system first thing.

No need to worry. The acid in your stomach (HCl) is a stronger acid than lemon juice and would be just as effective.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
Thinking about acids fighting it out with my breakfast... Nov 26, 2013

Michele Fauble wrote:

Texte Style wrote:

When I see how effective lemon juice and hot water is in shining up my copper teapot, I'm rather reluctant to inflict it on my digestive system first thing.

No need to worry. The acid in your stomach (HCl) is a stronger acid than lemon juice and would be just as effective.

OMG! that's about as reassuring as when I was told not to worry about all the water above me when using the Channel Tunnel because there was in fact twice as much earth.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
healthy diet Nov 26, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

Never mind the music. What about diet? What's a healthy diet for a sedentary translator?

I'm sure you know as well as the rest of us:

between 5 and 10 servings of fruit and veg a day

1 glass of Bordeaux (I suppose with your Italian leanings we might allow Chianti) at lunch

1 plain yoghurt

1 serving of potatoes, rice or pasta a day

No more than 1 serving of fish once a week

1 slice of organic wholemeal bread with Marmite for breakfast

Carrot and cucumber sticks instead of crisps with your (non-alcoholic) pre-dinner drink

chicken soup when sick, for medicinal value only

Anything else is sheer greed!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research on diet tips for translators - help needed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »