Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:18
French to English
+ ...
From the frying pan...? Dec 26, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

I get a sturdy breakfast consisting of a packet of bacon (140 g) with 4 beautiful fried eggs, spiced with cayenne pepper including all fat being used in the frying pans (coconut oil).
This breakfast (sometimes completed with mushrooms or high meat content sausages.
keeps me saturated until the evening. I rarely have any mid-day hunger. If so, I could eat sardines in oil (no tomato sauce) or a chunk of hard cheese.

In the evening I eat 4 hard-boiled eggs, a fistful of shrimps (cholesterol-laden) and then I pour up to 100 g of melted butter on the taste-rich mixture, rounding it off with two glasses of red wine and X slices of hard cheese. mmmmmm!!!

Dear Matt,
You are an elderly man with a history of heart attack and stroke who has thrown away his cholesterol-reducing medication, is completely sedentary and has a diet almost entirely consisting of cholesterol-rich foods including huge amounts of butter and other animal fats.

You are a big boy and should realize that you are gambling with your life on this one.

I am no expert, but I can see some problems down the line.

Take care.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:18
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Answer to Gianni: Starvation has always been an option BUT: Dec 26, 2010

As most of us know, starvation works fine for weight loss.
You simply decrease your intake of energy by eating less or eating energy poor stuff like cucumbers, lettuce/green salad or by fasting/half-fasting,

all according to the wellknown dogma of consuming more energy than what you take in.
"Eat less and run more", leading to calculations of calories which is based on how much energy is needed to "burn" the calories in an oven.

The common element of these
... See more
You simply decrease your intake of energy by eating less or eating energy poor stuff like cucumbers, lettuce/green salad or by fasting/half-fasting,

all according to the wellknown dogma of consuming more energy than what you take in.
"Eat less and run more", leading to calculations of calories which is based on how much energy is needed to "burn" the calories in an oven.

The common element of these strategies is spelt HUNGER.
Eating too much carbs is als spelt HUNGER, i.e. you get hungry pretty fast after breakfast and after lunch, so you need 'coffee breaks' (incl. carbs of all sorts) to keep going.
(Billions of work hours are also lost in this way).

The result is what is called yo-yo slimming, i.e. you most often gain what you have lost so that after x number of months you have gor back to the weight where you started.

I, like millions of dieters, have tried them all with the above disappointing result.
BECAUSE: The human metabolism is far from the functioning of a an oven used for measuring calories. It is a very complicated hormone driven digesting system, where hormones like inslulin play a pivotal role.
Carbs is always converted into blood sugar (glucose) which in turn triggers insulin release to save the body from dangers by having too much blood sugar in your blood circulation system. Insulin thereby blocks fat from being burnt, letting it be deposited as body fat in the belly (men), belly, bosom, hips, waist and bottoms (women).
A diabetic might not have enough insulin OR his energy needing calls do not accept the insulin
being offered (they are insulin-resistent) so the rxcessive suger starts damaging cells in the extremities, in the eyes, in the heart and in the brain.

Belly fat and the other body fats are not, as is often said, the cause of diabetes, they are only covarying with the other cause of diabetes, i.e. too much carbohydrates.

I have often heard from dieticians, diabets nurses, doctors and other so-called experts that carbohydrates are essential nutrients, especially for the brain and the muscles.
THIS ISN OT TRUE. The body produces all necessary glucose needed by processing fat and proteins into glucose or so-called ketone bodies (That's why my diet is often called a ketonic diet).
The only essential nutirents are protein and fat.

To finalize my answer. The superiority of LCHF (LowCarbHigh Fat) is that you not only loose fatfast BUT that you keep your reduced weight for years without having to "fight" for it.
I lost 15 kg in 3 months without exerting myself. On the contrary, I enjoyed it.
I was finally allowed to eat whatever I like, as long as I stayed away from carbs and
that means delicious food that I have always wanted to eat but, as a typical indoctrinated westerner, I at first was hesitant to eat fat because "everybody knows that fat - especially saturated fat - like butter - is dangerous for your heart and brain"
It is not.
It is to be noted that my "heart attack" and TIA occurred at a time when I still ate carbs galore.
I still do not know which period of time will convince sceptics that one won't die from it.
I have only practised it for 2,5 years but I have peers that have done it for years (10- 58 years)
This has been proven by millions of innuits, lapps, massais and other peoples not eating "western" food. If they start eating the type of food that has created the obesity and diabetes epidemic that plagues our world today, they also get sick, just as we do.

I can honestly tell you all that since spring 2008 I am never hungry. After my sturdy breakfast it'll be something like 6-8 pm before I am att all interested in food and this state remains until 9-12 a.m. the following day - AND - my weight remains stable even though I lead a sedentary lifestyle.
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
To Sangro: Please read my answer to Gianni (http://www.proz.com/post/1651558#1651558) Dec 26, 2010

Sangro wrote:

Dear Matt,

(My name is actually Mats, shortening for Mathias, just like Matt is one for Mathew)

You are an elderly man with a history of heart attack and stroke who has thrown away his cholesterol-reducing medication, is completely sedentary

I am not "completely sedentary" and yes, I, like many peers, have stopped beleiving that high cholesterol (90-120 mg/dl) represents any danger to a 70-year old person

and has a diet almost entirely consisting of cholesterol-rich foods including huge amounts of butter and other animal fats.

Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. Cholesterol is one of the most important building blocks of the human body and an ageing person has more cells to repair than younger ones.

You are a big boy and should realize that you are gambling with your life on this one.

Says who?
I can list dozens of behaviours and choices that are just as much a gamble with one's life as mine.
How do you know that mine is more dangerous?
My email ([email protected] ) is open for everyone wanting to argue or or to get more information.

I am no expert, but I can see some problems down the line.

Plaese tell me what they will be.

Best regards

Mats

[Edited at 2010-12-27 14:57 GMT]

Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Move! Dec 26, 2010

I'm glad that things work out for you, Mats, but please, if you have to give such risky advice, make it clear that this is just your personal opinion and that this may only work in your particular case.

When it comes to diets and weight loss etc., so many factors are either forgotten or misinterpreted that some people tend to lose sight of what is important.

What matters most is to get your body moving. If humans were meant to be sitting in front of a desk all day long,
... See more
I'm glad that things work out for you, Mats, but please, if you have to give such risky advice, make it clear that this is just your personal opinion and that this may only work in your particular case.

When it comes to diets and weight loss etc., so many factors are either forgotten or misinterpreted that some people tend to lose sight of what is important.

What matters most is to get your body moving. If humans were meant to be sitting in front of a desk all day long, they'd be born with a chair stuck up into their asses. Humans are supposed to walk around, burn calories, etc. That's how we've made it so far.

Tons of modern problems are caused by the fact that most people now sit in offices and don't move: obesity, back pain, lack of strength, depression, etc.

When it comes to weight loss, most people are looking for a miracle. They want to lose weight fast, without sports, and without leaving out the food they like.

But that's not how it works and that's why there is the yo-yo effect. As soon as the special diet period is over, those folks go back to their old habits and stuff all those unhealthy items down their throats without changing their lifestyle. And zooom! Obesity is back.

Also, a bag of chips per se might not be that bad. But studies often forget to mention that people eating those chips are often couch potatoes who don't move much, who don't do sports, who just sit around all day long. But what do we do? We blame it on the chips. Oh those evil chips.
The same with beer. There's a popular myth around here that beer makes fat. BUt what is overlooked is that beer often goes together with watching TV and snacking around. Beer per se isn't that bad.

The same applies to your advice. Feed those couch potates with eggs and bacon and you can call an ambulance pretty soon (clogged arteries - sounds familiar?).

Also, without an apple every now and then you'll be pretty depressed very soon (trust me on this one!).

So, long story short: if you're happy with your 8 eggs and bacon and butter, good for you! And I'm serious about that.
But imho, the key to a healthy lifestyle (in terms of weight and health) lies in a balanced diet AND enough movement.
Collapse

Alla_K
Alla_K  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
There is no diet good for everybody Dec 26, 2010

Thanks for sharing, Mats. Thanks to others contributing to the discussion.

My opinion is: what works for one not necessary does for other. As a biochemist I can state that our liver enzymes, hormonal patterns and other metabolic peculiarities are very individual. As individual as our faces are. So there is no diet good for everybody. For example, low carb diet is healthy for some people, in others it can cause kidney problems. We can exchange our experience and opinions but look fo
... See more
Thanks for sharing, Mats. Thanks to others contributing to the discussion.

My opinion is: what works for one not necessary does for other. As a biochemist I can state that our liver enzymes, hormonal patterns and other metabolic peculiarities are very individual. As individual as our faces are. So there is no diet good for everybody. For example, low carb diet is healthy for some people, in others it can cause kidney problems. We can exchange our experience and opinions but look for our own way after observing what works better for us.
Collapse

heavendesire (X)
heavendesire (X)
Local time: 14:18
Great Mats, but..... Dec 26, 2010

Dear Mats, First off i am quite happy for you that a Carb free diet has worked for you.. but as an Agri-Engineer who specializes in Dairy Science Technology and as an Alternative Medicine And natural remedies Researcher, i can tell you that to believe that a high fat diet ( especially saturated fats ) cannot possibly harm your body and heart, is scientifically unfounded, as more than 75 years of medical research suggest otherwise, and i will be more than happy to provide both: 1-Tons of credible... See more
Dear Mats, First off i am quite happy for you that a Carb free diet has worked for you.. but as an Agri-Engineer who specializes in Dairy Science Technology and as an Alternative Medicine And natural remedies Researcher, i can tell you that to believe that a high fat diet ( especially saturated fats ) cannot possibly harm your body and heart, is scientifically unfounded, as more than 75 years of medical research suggest otherwise, and i will be more than happy to provide both: 1-Tons of credible research to ascertain the hazards of saturated fats, 2-Real life examples of people who went down that road and ended up in intensive care units, having said that, i can also say that recent research suggest that eggs may not as harmful as we used to think they are, but than again not to the extent of 8 eggs a day.
My personal cholesterol levels are quite high especially the LDL ones, yet i almost never take any statins, as they can have a devastating impact on the walls of our heart cells, yet i perfectly manage with a great variety of natural herbs and remedies which has kept me fit for the past 30 years or so.. i am also aware that modern scientific research keeps coming up with conflicting reports and data about how good this is and how bad that is and so on, but the fact still remains that certain health and nutrition facts are not disputed, ones such as " an apple a day" and ones such as "30 minutes brisk walk a day".
All the best to you and wishing you good health
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 12:18
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
My cholesterol experience Dec 26, 2010

Different opinions on dieting and what to eat and what to avoid abound nowadays. For laypersons, it’s pretty much impossible to fully grasp the entire effect of each diet on the metabolism. Also, each person’s metabolism is different, so what might work for one person might be bad for another.

However, here’s my experience regarding cholesterol from the last couple of years.
After I found my cholesterol too high (around 120) a couple of years ago, I went on a more or les
... See more
Different opinions on dieting and what to eat and what to avoid abound nowadays. For laypersons, it’s pretty much impossible to fully grasp the entire effect of each diet on the metabolism. Also, each person’s metabolism is different, so what might work for one person might be bad for another.

However, here’s my experience regarding cholesterol from the last couple of years.
After I found my cholesterol too high (around 120) a couple of years ago, I went on a more or less fat- and cholesterol-free diet, although I still would eat some meat or fish. But no more eggs, ice cream, candy, only non-fat yogurt, no more cheese except for a very low-fat spreadable cheese and, of course, no junk food as chips, pizza or hamburgers etc. Also no more chocolate and no more wine in the evening. Sniff. Lots of fruit and vegetables. My diet so far had always been fairly healthy and I had always tried to avoid too much fat and cholesterol. It just had to become much more rigorous.

After a year, my cholesterol was more or less in the healthy range, so I loosened that regimen slightly, but still stayed away from fat and cholesterol as much as possible.
During that time and also afterward, I was suffering from terrible stress caused by my upstairs neighbors who more or less systematically terrorized me with loud noise around the clock. The extreme stress lasted for about a year. My health suffered tremendously and I was diagnosed with several severe stress-related problems, with the bottom line that my entire metabolism isn’t functioning properly anymore.

The metabolism is a really complex thing, and if one of the components is off, chain reactions can follow that affect the brain, mood, muscles, thyroids, sleep, etc. – in short, the entire body with all its functions. While learning more about all these functions, I also found – almost to my surprise after all this war against cholesterol – that cholesterol is one of the most important building blocks of the metabolism. And in a time where I needed it most, I fought it relentlessly. I don’t know whether my no fat/cholesterol diet caused any problems or increased them, but I know for sure that it didn’t help me either.

I changed my diet completely to help my body recover. Fat and high quality protein plus lots of vegetables to regenerate my body plus avoiding refined sugar products and eating only whole-grain food in small quantities, no alcohol, only certain fruits, not too much fruit in order to avoid sugar spikes. I am now basically loading up on exactly all the food I had taken so much pain to avoid before: Meat, cheese, eggs – fat, protein and cholesterol. I now douse my salad with olive oil, slather a thick layer of whole-milk cream cheese on my whole grain bread, eat a steak or some other meat at least once a day. The goal is to have protein and fat with each meal, but always accompanied with as many vegetables as possible as the body also needs a lot of vitamins and other goodies only found there. Fruit is combined with lunch or dinner or as a snack in the afternoon with cottage cheese as fat prevents that the fructose is absorbed too quickly.

My cholesterol was tested after a half year on that diet. I expected it to be sky-high, but to my surprise, all results were pretty much perfect. My doctor even said, not to worry, we would get the cholesterol values up again. I also didn’t gain any weight, but lost a couple of pounds initially without even trying, in spite of all those extra calories from fat.

This was the proof for me: High cholesterol is not caused by eating too much fat and cholesterol, but by a poorly functioning metabolism. By trying to fight the symptoms and reducing my fat and cholesterol intake, I probably even worsened my condition and prevented the body from healing itself – by depriving it of exactly those components it needed most.

Also about that time, I read an article by an M.D. to the effect that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, that the big pharmaceutical companies pretty much created that hype in order to sell their cholesterol-lowering drugs. In the same article, the physician also mentioned that the officially recommended blood pressure of 120/60, which has been recommended for as long as I can remember, has been lowered to 115 so that the companies could sell more blood pressure lowering drugs.

It’s a sad fact that
a) physicians with a conventional university education are often unaware of the real issues. Anything that is not covered in their text books and, probably more important, therefore not covered by health insurances, is pretty much ignored and patients are left to their own devices. I went to several neurologists with my main debilitating symptoms, had numerous MRIs and tests done – and was sent home again after they couldn’t find anything. Instead of leaving no stone unturned to help me, they just said that’s the way it is. Period. I was just lucky to have a chiropractor working in the same office with the doctor who finally diagnosed me. But my not unsubstantial costs are not covered by my health insurance (which btw just announced their annual rate hike by another 11% for the next year combined with a little scare-mongering regarding the pending health care reform here in the US).

b) you can’t even trust doctors and official health regulators to actually know what’s good for you and what’s not and/or to act in your best interest instead of following the big money. It’s extremely difficult to find out whom and what to believe. So it’s probably best to take anything with many grains of salt and be skeptical of everything.

High cholesterol might still be terribly bad for you, I don’t know, but from my experience it’s a symptom, not a cause. Generally, I am not surprised that Mats’ diet works. My only concern would be the absence of vegetables (high quantities, those with strong colors) and fruit (low quantities, those with a low glycemic index). Not all carbohydrates are bad but only those that result in a sugar spike, namely refined white sugars. Even most fruits are not that bad as the amount of fiber also prevents a too quick absorption. And to forgo all fruits and veggies just because they also contain some carbs seems a bit too drastic to me as the body needs a lot of vitamins, minerals, etc., not to mention all the fiber!
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Right you are! MOVE! Dec 27, 2010

Simone Linke wrote:

Thanks Simone for pointing this out. I tend to forget. As a layman, I am not advising anybody.
I shouldn't, I dare not, I am not allowed to. BUT: I try to tell my story as precisely and as scientifically as I can so that it does not contain medical/physiological errorrs.
I am a member of a LCHF network of knowlegeable MDs, professsors, assistant professors,diabetes and other specalists doing research on all facets of metabolism and who are, like me, in vehement opposition to the terrible advice given by mainstrewam doctors and by the authorities.

Einstein has said: Insanity is to advocate something that proves not to work and then continue to advocate the same thing hoping for the result to change.
That is exactly what has been going on for decades now.
Since the seventies, the advaice has been: Eat as little fat and cholesterol as possible and what has happend?
Obesity and ensuing diabetes break new records every year. That is really insane!

Many of my peers realised this and made a bold move: "Do exactly the opposite to what you are told". The result was staggering. One of them lost 68 kg in a year and he is not alone.
Gradually old scientific truths were rediscovered and have been verified in anumber of studies.
Most often our findings (as described in my answer to Gianni) are not disproved, but instead they are either ignored or belittled according to a smart tactic: "These are only anecdotical evidence without scientific relevance"
A popular way of telling this is to relentlessly say: "we are all different so what is good for one does not prove that is good for everyone".
I, like one of the LCHF pioneers in Sweden simply say: "I did this on the basis of well-known physiology and it proved to work (she also cured her arthritis and IBS).
Not giving advice I still dare to give the following advice: Try it yourself and see if it works for you!
Tens of thousands have done it in Sweden (and Norway) and the results are very promising indeed.
I am one example.

It is very simple: Cut the carbs to a minimum and do not be afraid of fat.
As a diabetic, try to strive for zero carbs. Others can be more liberal.

Very few are not successful IF they abide by the above.
It is of course difficult in a way: If you love bread, potatoes, pasta,rice sweet and starchy foods, it demands some strength of will.
I can truly say that it took me some time to achieve this strength of will, partly because I also loved these things and also because I did not know where the carbs lurked (e.g in so-called 'light products', fruit and below-ground vegetables.
Nowadays I rarely slip because my brain tells me: NoNo, you know this damages you, so don't. My refrigerator and larder are smaller because a number of foods simply are not bought - not to tempt me.

One of the best effects: I feel more energetic and more balanced, less stressed and simply happier.

If our analysis is correct there are a lot of financial losses to be expected: Thousands and thousands of people make a living from 'treating' diabetes and overweight and from 'treating'
heart disease and stroke/TIA' (resulting from diabetes and overweight. The pharmaceutical companies profit from chemical compounds intended to 'solve' problems with 'too high' cholesterol,where 'too high has been defined as a result of studies paid for by certain
pharmaceutical indiustries, the most well-known is the statin pill industry where e.g. Pfizer alone makes some 10 billion dollars per year by doctors prescribing statins in order to lower cholesterol levels to 'acceptable' levels (having been lowered several times with little or no scientific reason). It has even been suggested that the whole population, including children should take statins in order to keep theit levels sound.
Many know by now that A) statins only marginally lower the cholsterol level and that B) the side efffects in many cases are serious (one such side effect is the lowering of the coenzyme Q10, which must be upheld for older people due to their decreasing production of this enzyme) and that C) the fact tthat no causal effect of cholesterol on HD and stroke has been scientifically established.

What matters most is to get your body moving. If humans were meant to be sitting in front of a desk all day long, they'd be born with a chair stuck up into their asses. Humans are supposed to walk around, burn calories, etc. That's how we've made it so far.

Tons of modern problems are caused by the fact that most people now sit in offices and don't move: obesity, back pain, lack of strength, depression, etc.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the advice "MOVE" was the only good advice I got from the doctors. I could establish that it lowered my blood sugar and no doubt it is definitely good for the whole funtioning of my body.(I do some 5 km a day)
BUT: You don't lose weight by moving. To do so, you must also starve (reduce calorie intake) to a certain extent. Again hunger ensues.

The reason I haven't put it high on my list of arguments is that moving seems not to be a prerequisite for weight loss, carbs minimaization is. The minus 68 kg peer often stresses the fact that he COULD NOT move with his 148 kgs, but he nevertheless lost 68 kg.

When it comes to weight loss, most people are looking for a miracle. They want to lose weight fast, without sports, and without leaving out the food they like.

But that's not how it works and that's why there is the yo-yo effect. As soon as the special diet period is over, those folks go back to their old habits and stuff all those unhealthy items down their throats without changing their lifestyle. And zooom! Obesity is back.

The miracle is LCHF which is a change of life style ("change of life style" is most often not defined which makes the expressions just a meaningless cliché. One should say 'Change of eating habits')

We are in agreement (seee previous postings)

Also, a bag of chips per se might not be that bad. But studies often forget to mention that people eating those chips are often couch potatoes who don't move much, who don't do sports, who just sit around all day long. But what do we do? We blame it on the chips. Oh those evil chips.
The same with beer. There's a popular myth around here that beer makes fat. BUt what is overlooked is that beer often goes together with watching TV and snacking around. Beer per se isn't that bad.

The chips are evil, just like beer. They do namely contain a lot of carbohydrates(Sugar)
As to exercise, see above.

The same applies to your advice. Feed those couch potates with eggs and bacon and you can call an ambulance pretty soon (clogged arteries - sounds familiar?).

I feed myself with my my fat/cholesterol-rich food sitting in my TV couch and you don't have to call an ambulance - on the contrary. "Artery clogging" sounds terribly familiar, the only wrong thing with that sewage system comparison is that it is just a myth created by laymen, pharma advertisers and others who do not know their physiology.

Also, without an apple every now and then you'll be pretty depressed very soon (trust me on this one!).

If an apple aday makes you happy: Eat apples but be clear that they contain carbohydrates in the form of fructose which is poison to your liver (Robert Lustig)

So, long story short: if you're happy with your 8 eggs and bacon and butter, good for you! And I'm serious about that.
But imho, the key to a healthy lifestyle (in terms of weight and health) lies in a balanced diet

If "Balanced diet" (most often not defined - just a cliché) is the same as the food pyramid (US) or the plate model (Sweden), i.e.50-60% carbohydrates, it is definitely not healthy and does not prevent overwight (at least not by the majority of the population. Observe the obesity and diabetes curves of the last 35 years)

AND enough movement.

Agree!

Best regards

Mats

[Edited at 2010-12-27 15:01 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
it isn't what we eat Dec 27, 2010

So far nobody has mentioned that regular exercise is essential if you want to stay healthy. If you just eat but never burn up the calories you're taking in, you will of course put on weight, and putting on weight leads to all the problems being discussed here.

At least 30-40 minutes' energetic exercise every day will make you feel good and will help take the weight off. My personal preference is cycling. It's fun, it's a way to look around the city, and it gets your blood pumping,
... See more
So far nobody has mentioned that regular exercise is essential if you want to stay healthy. If you just eat but never burn up the calories you're taking in, you will of course put on weight, and putting on weight leads to all the problems being discussed here.

At least 30-40 minutes' energetic exercise every day will make you feel good and will help take the weight off. My personal preference is cycling. It's fun, it's a way to look around the city, and it gets your blood pumping, your heart going, your lungs working and, this being London, all your senses wide awake, as you have to watch and listen out for that large red bus coming up close behind you.....

There's nothing I like better at the end of a day sitting staring at a screen, than getting on my bike- even though whilst riding along I often find myself thinking about the meaning of a word.

How do other translators get their regular exercise?

[Edited at 2010-12-27 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Exercise is always good, Tom! Dec 27, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

So far nobody has mentioned that regular exercise is essential if you want to stay healthy

Please look above, Tom.

If you just eat but never burn up the calories you're taking in, you will of course put on weight, and putting on weight leads to all the problems being discussed here.

"Putting on weight" only covaries with the causes that lead to "the problems", it does not casue them.

At least 30-40 minutes' energetic exercise every day will make you feel good and will help take the weight off. My personal preference is cycling. It's fun, it's a way to look around the city, and it gets your blood pumping, your heart going, your lungs working and, this being London, all your senses wide awake, as you have to watch and listen out for that large red bus coming up close behind you.....

There's nothing I like better at the end of a day sitting staring at a screen, than getting on my bike- even though whilst riding along I often find myself thinking about the meaning of a word.

How do other translators get their regular exercise?

[Edited at 2010-12-27 09:23 GMT]

I think we all agree that exercise is good for us. What I want to dispel is the popular notion that if you do not exercise, you must restrain your 'taking in' of calories. That strategy has proved wrong for decades. People eating caloric bombs never start exercising to burn these carbs. Instead they get fat.

I, like you, cherish mederate exercise (no iron pumping, no gym) like walking my dog (a wire-haired dackshound) three timnes a day (5 km/day). It is refresshing for my body and my brain (Many good ideas have been got when walking).
It also lowers my blood sugar and trains my heart (always positive) by stimulating my blood circulation.

Best regards

Mats

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK but Dec 27, 2010

deleted

[Edited at 2010-12-27 12:09 GMT]

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
FYI Dec 27, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

The common element of these strategies is spelt HUNGER.
Eating too much carbs is als spelt HUNGER, i.e. you get hungry pretty fast after breakfast and after lunch, so you need 'coffee breaks' (incl. carbs of all sorts) to keep going.
(Billions of work hours are also lost in this way).

The result is what is called yo-yo slimming, i.e. you most often gain what you have lost so that after x number of months you have gor back to the weight where you started.

I, like millions of dieters, have tried them all with the above disappointing result.
BECAUSE: The human metabolism is far from the functioning of a an oven used for measuring calories. It is a very complicated hormone driven digesting system, where hormones like inslulin play a pivotal role.
Carbs is always converted into blood sugar (glucose) which in turn triggers insulin release to save the body from dangers by having too much blood sugar in your blood circulation system. Insulin thereby blocks fat from being burnt, letting it be deposited as body fat in the belly (men), belly, bosom, hips, waist and bottoms (women).
A diabetic might not have enough insulin OR his energy needing calls do not accept the insulin
being offered (they are insulin-resistent) so the rxcessive suger starts damaging cells in the extremities, in the eyes, in the heart and in the brain.

Belly fat and the other body fats are not, as is often said, the cause of diabetes, they are only covarying with the other cause of diabetes, i.e. too much carbohydrates.

I have often heard from dieticians, diabets nurses, doctors and other so-called experts that carbohydrates are essential nutrients, especially for the brain and the muscles.
THIS ISN OT TRUE. The body produces all necessary glucose needed by processing fat and proteins into glucose or so-called ketone bodies (That's why my diet is often called a ketonic diet).
The only essential nutirents are protein and fat.

To finalize my answer. The superiority of LCHF (LowCarbHigh Fat) is that you not only loose fatfast BUT that you keep your reduced weight for years without having to "fight" for it.
I lost 15 kg in 3 months without exerting myself. On the contrary, I enjoyed it.
I was finally allowed to eat whatever I like, as long as I stayed away from carbs and
that means delicious food that I have always wanted to eat but, as a typical indoctrinated westerner, I at first was hesitant to eat fat because "everybody knows that fat - especially saturated fat - like butter - is dangerous for your heart and brain"
It is not.
It is to be noted that my "heart attack" and TIA occurred at a time when I still ate carbs galore.
I still do not know which period of time will convince sceptics that one won't die from it.
I have only practised it for 2,5 years but I have peers that have done it for years (10- 58 years)
This has been proven by millions of innuits, lapps, massais and other peoples not eating "western" food. If they start eating the type of food that has created the obesity and diabetes epidemic that plagues our world today, they also get sick, just as we do.

I can honestly tell you all that since spring 2008 I am never hungry. After my sturdy breakfast it'll be something like 6-8 pm before I am att all interested in food and this state remains until 9-12 a.m. the following day - AND - my weight remains stable even though I lead a sedentary lifestyle.

Hunger? Who said I am starving? I actually eat more than before and I've never felt better. All diets are wrong, because if only one would work, everyone would be ending up doing that, wouldn't they? That's why I decided to go back to square one. I was excercising a lot (I swim 4 to 5 times/week) and I ate quite a lot of protein/fats based food (red/white meat, cheese etc), and few carbs but instead of losing weight I was actually gaining it.
Allen Carr opened my eyes about the food industry and the bad habits and the hypes we get taught since we're very young (coffee, anyone?). He made me quit smoking with no hassle and now this. Bless his soul.

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Heike, Dec 27, 2010

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

As i have stated, I do not claim to have THE answer for everybody, I just suggest you try it out to see how it works for you.
The metabolism is as a principle not very different between us (carbs are still carbs, with the effect carbs have on us) but what is different are our individual constitution and disposition when it comes to sensitivity regarding hormenes like e.g. insulin. A diabetic is for example
very sensitive to blood sugar and incapable at handling it and therefore needs to minimize the intake of them. Carbohydrate handling capability varies a lot among people.
Some are less capable and then get overweight and with time develop diabetes type 2.
Others can keep on handling them well and thus have small problems of most sorts.

Heike:
After I found my cholesterol too high (around 120) a couple of years ago, I went on a more or less fat- and cholesterol-free diet, although I still would eat some meat or fish. But no more eggs, ice cream, candy, only non-fat yogurt, no more cheese except for a very low-fat spreadable cheese and, of course, no junk food as chips, pizza or hamburgers etc. Also no more chocolate and no more wine in the evening. Sniff. Lots of fruit and vegetables. My diet so far had always been fairly healthy and I had always tried to avoid too much fat and cholesterol. It just had to become much more rigorous.

After a year, my cholesterol was more or less in the healthy range, so I loosened that regimen slightly, but still stayed away from fat and cholesterol as much as possible.
During that time and also afterward, I was suffering from terrible stress caused by my upstairs neighbors who more or less systematically terrorized me with loud noise around the clock. The extreme stress lasted for about a year. My health suffered tremendously and I was diagnosed with several severe stress-related problems, with the bottom line that my entire metabolism isn’t functioning properly anymore.

The metabolism is a really complex thing, and if one of the components is off, chain reactions can follow that affect the brain, mood, muscles, thyroids, sleep, etc. – in short, the entire body with all its functions. While learning more about all these functions, I also found – almost to my surprise after all this war against cholesterol – that cholesterol is one of the most important building blocks of the metabolism. And in a time where I needed it most, I fought it relentlessly. I don’t know whether my no fat/cholesterol diet caused any problems or increased them, but I know for sure that it didn’t help me either.

I changed my diet completely to help my body recover. Fat and high quality protein plus lots of vegetables to regenerate my body plus avoiding refined sugar products and eating only whole-grain food in small quantities, no alcohol, only certain fruits, not too much fruit in order to avoid sugar spikes. I am now basically loading up on exactly all the food I had taken so much pain to avoid before: Meat, cheese, eggs – fat, protein and cholesterol. I now douse my salad with olive oil, slather a thick layer of whole-milk cream cheese on my whole grain bread, eat a steak or some other meat at least once a day. The goal is to have protein and fat with each meal, but always accompanied with as many vegetables as possible as the body also needs a lot of vitamins and other goodies only found there. Fruit is combined with lunch or dinner or as a snack in the afternoon with cottage cheese as fat prevents that the fructose is absorbed too quickly.

My cholesterol was tested after a half year on that diet. I expected it to be sky-high, but to my surprise, all results were pretty much perfect. My doctor even said, not to worry, we would get the cholesterol values up again. I also didn’t gain any weight, but lost a couple of pounds initially without even trying, in spite of all those extra calories from fat.

This was the proof for me: High cholesterol is not caused by eating too much fat and cholesterol, but by a poorly functioning metabolism. By trying to fight the symptoms and reducing my fat and cholesterol intake, I probably even worsened my condition and prevented the body from healing itself – by depriving it of exactly those components it needed most.

Also about that time, I read an article by an M.D. to the effect that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, that the big pharmaceutical companies pretty much created that hype in order to sell their cholesterol-lowering drugs. In the same article, the physician also mentioned that the officially recommended blood pressure of 120/60, which has been recommended for as long as I can remember, has been lowered to 115 so that the companies could sell more blood pressure lowering drugs.

It’s a sad fact that
a) physicians with a conventional university education are often unaware of the real issues. Anything that is not covered in their text books and, probably more important, therefore not covered by health insurances, is pretty much ignored and patients are left to their own devices. I went to several neurologists with my main debilitating symptoms, had numerous MRIs and tests done – and was sent home again after they couldn’t find anything. Instead of leaving no stone unturned to help me, they just said that’s the way it is. Period. I was just lucky to have a chiropractor working in the same office with the doctor who finally diagnosed me. But my not unsubstantial costs are not covered by my health insurance (which btw just announced their annual rate hike by another 11% for the next year combined with a little scare-mongering regarding the pending health care reform here in the US).

b) you can’t even trust doctors and official health regulators to actually know what’s good for you and what’s not and/or to act in your best interest instead of following the big money. It’s extremely difficult to find out whom and what to believe. So it’s probably best to take
anything with many grains of salt and be skeptical of everything.

High cholesterol might still be terribly bad for you, I don’t know, but from my experience it’s a symptom, not a cause. Generally, I am not surprised that Mats’ diet works. My only concern would be the absence of vegetables (high quantities, those with strong colors) and fruit (low quantities, those with a low glycemic index). Not all carbohydrates are bad but only those that result in a sugar spike, namely refined white sugars. Even most fruits are not that bad as the amount of fiber also prevents a too quick absorption. And to forgo all fruits and veggies just because they also contain some carbs seems a bit too drastic to me as the body needs a lot of vitamins, minerals, etc., not to mention all the fiber!

Thanks Heike for sharing! it is interesting.
You are telling a story told by many (among others, me). The reason why so many are confused is simply that we, the people, are not taught in a clear way what to choose to eat, so:

Most of us confuse "healthy" with what is not. Examples:
ice cream
candy,
non-fat yogurt
wholegrain products
fiber rich food.

These are in most cases laden with carbohydrates in order to make them tasty (to compensate for tha lack of fat) and to hide this they are labeled "healthy".

So:Always check the nutrient content of all products you buy and you will be surprised how carb-rich many of them are, all so on the altar of "avoiding fat". Talking about fooling yourself (or rather being fooled)!(I've been through all of it myself).
The best way out of this mess is to set a low limit (e.g. 5g/100g) and then see if you can increase that without fattening and getting higher blood sugar.
The fastest way to find out is to have a blood sugar meter (which we get for free if we are diabetics) using it each day (really after each meal if you can afford it - I measure fasting blood usgar only)

On fruits, vegetables and vitamins:

There is an illusion that these are essential becuase of the supply of vitamins and minerals
but this is a myth.
Today's fruits and vegetables have maybe a tenth of what they had 50 years ago. not to mention pesticides.
You get all you need by eating eggs, cheese, meat and fat.
E.g. if you can only have one food-stuff I would recommend eggs, which contain most of what you need each day.

Best regards

Mats

[Edited at 2012-04-15 12:17 GMT]

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Loose fat, not muscle Dec 27, 2010

Gianni wrote
I was excercising a lot (I swim 4 to 5 times/week) and I ate quite a lot of protein/fats based food (red/white meat, cheese etc), and few carbs but instead of losing weight I was actually gaining it.

It is only natural that you gain weight in the form of muscles if you exercise as much as you do.
The interesting thing is whether you increase your body fat content or not. That one could control with the aid of modern scales that measure that (somehow) or by simply measuring girth (especially belly and hip girth)

Allen Carr opened my eyes about the food industry and the bad habits and the hypes we get taught since we're very young (coffee, anyone?). He made me quit smoking with no hassle and now this. Bless his soul.

Congratulations! Allen Carr seems interesting. I must read the book you mentioned, especially his view on the food industry which is too much allowed to dominate our lives

Best regards

Mats

[Edited at 2010-12-27 15:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-27 15:31 GMT]

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
A few arguments Sep 18, 2011

Simone Linke wrote:

You are right and wrong. Moving, walking, exercising are all good things for a body which is designed for exactly that,
BUT
it is not the deciding factor - that is what we eat, i.e. if we don't belong to the small group of people that can eat almost anything and to any amount without harming effects.
When I was younger than 45 I to some extent belonged to that group.
As you get older and your metabolism deteriorates, your cells start to need frequent repair,
the result of what you eat starts to be harmful like overwieight, obesity and diabetes.
The three are caused by carbs, not fats. I am living proof of that like some 20000 Swedes.

23% of the Swedes have recently stated that the have begun to practice LCHF (LowCarbHighFat). At least some 100000 have reported weight loss and health gains (especially mood gains - like me). In some parts of Sweden we now have a butter shortage.

"Tons of modern problems are caused" by overeating carbs

As soon as the special diet period is over, those folks go back to their old habits and stuff all those unhealthy items down their throats without changing their lifestyle. And zooom! Obesity is back.

True but that is not what I suggest or practise.
The reason is that my diet is not a heroic diet or fight which I would prefer not live by.
Consequently I do not go back to my old carbs habits.
Instead I rejoice at eating wonderful taste rich and energy dense food
AND
without fear of fats or protein.
The cholesterol and fat lies are being graudally abandoned, based as they are on scientific fraud (Ancel Keyes 1953). Ignorant politicians (George McGovern 1977) multiplied it to the western world and we have ended up with a grand failure: IT DOES NOT WORK.
Avoiding fat brings a lot of carbs which make people fat and diabetic.

See the lecture video on this theme at www.DietDoctor.com:
The Food Revolution – edited lecture from #AHS11 (Posting # 6)
and
The Diet Doctor on Jimmy Moore’s podcast Posting (# 12):
"The Scandinavian LCHF Movement Featuring Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt And Dr. Sofie Hexeberg"

The bad thing with beer is not where it is drunk, it's simply that beer contains a lot of
carbs. Some call beer the "liquid bread"

Very familiar indeed, which does not stop it from being a lie. When I ate a low-fat diet and had three medicines, I got a heart attack and a mini-stroke. During the last 36 months I have a much better health and mood (after having thrown away my medicines)

Also, without an apple every now and then you'll be pretty depressed very soon (trust me on this one!)

A very often mentioned benefit of LCHF is extactly the opposite. We are calmer, more balanced and sleep better.

But imho, the key to a healthy lifestyle (in terms of weight and health) lies in a balanced diet AND enough movement.

Thank you for your caring but I won't comment on this last remark of yours.

Mats Wiman
[email protected]

[Edited at 2011-09-18 15:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-04-15 12:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How i lost 15 kg and escaped diabetes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »