Thread poster: Mats Wiman
Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:50
French to German
+ ...
Thanks for bringing up this topic, Mats! Dec 1, 2010

Having seen the devastating consequences of diabetes on someone relatively close to me (loss of sensation in nerve endings, difficulties to breathe, heart weakness and coronary accidents and even menacing blindness) as well as the rather heavy medical treatments involved, I think that we should all be aware that something can be done at rather early stages and even before the condition appears.

[Modifié le 2010-12-01 09:02 GMT]

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Further food for thought Dec 1, 2010

Congratulations Mats!

Diet has been the key to my own wellbeing since I was stricken with ME in 1995. Apart from a serious relapse after glandular fever in 2007, I usually manage to keep it in remission by diet alone. This was only possible once I'd recoginsed the "toxic" nature of refined foods and the link with the yeast Candida albicans, overgrowth of which can cause a wide variety of health problems. Like any other yeast, it feeds on sugars and may well be the unrecognise
... See more
Congratulations Mats!

Diet has been the key to my own wellbeing since I was stricken with ME in 1995. Apart from a serious relapse after glandular fever in 2007, I usually manage to keep it in remission by diet alone. This was only possible once I'd recoginsed the "toxic" nature of refined foods and the link with the yeast Candida albicans, overgrowth of which can cause a wide variety of health problems. Like any other yeast, it feeds on sugars and may well be the unrecognised factor in many people's lingering health problems.

Sugar and other refined foods overload the body's natural processes, so reducing its capacity to fight off bugs, heal and maintain itself in general. I agree with GerSi that we need weaning off them gradually. Being good is so hard over the winter, when sugar, stodge and seasonal goodies are at their most tempting!

The "eating according to blood group" idea may still be controversial, but it has certainly helped me. I'm group O, the most primitive (!), so do best on a "hunter-gatherer" diet: protein+fruit/veg. The A and B blood groups appear to be better able to process the foods developed by settled farming communities: cultivated grains (especially wheat) and dairy products.

Hildegard of Bingen (12th century) reckoned that only three foods are 100% good: spelt (a primitive wheat), chestnuts and fennel.
Collapse

Andreas Majetic
Andreas Majetic  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
Well done Mats! Dec 1, 2010

15 kg in ~12 weeks is pretty good. What was your weight before the GI-method?

Jennifer Barnett
Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
another little known problem with sugars; fructose mal-absorption Dec 1, 2010

Good for you Mats! And I agree that you should spread the information. Our poor overworked doctors are generalists so we can't expect them to be up to date on all new research results.

I also have problems that my doctor couldn't fix but internet research could. After adjusting my diet to manage a sluggish liver/gall bladder function to avoid having my gall bladder removed (doctor's solution!), digestion was often still difficult. It seemed to be decreased stomach acid but then I st
... See more
Good for you Mats! And I agree that you should spread the information. Our poor overworked doctors are generalists so we can't expect them to be up to date on all new research results.

I also have problems that my doctor couldn't fix but internet research could. After adjusting my diet to manage a sluggish liver/gall bladder function to avoid having my gall bladder removed (doctor's solution!), digestion was often still difficult. It seemed to be decreased stomach acid but then I stumbled across fructose mal-absorption when considering the Paleolithic diet (hunter-gatherers diet). On one site it was explained that modern fruits have been selected and breed for increased sweetness which detracts from their overall health benefits.

I often felt nauseaous and uncomfortable after my usual 'healthy' breakfast of a plate of seasonal fruit followed by my blood type O version of museli. It turns out that a large dose of fructose sends the liver into overdrive as it is 'digested' there instead of the lower intestine where most sugars are broken down and absorbed. The same goes for sugars with names ending in '..itol' like sorbitol. Over-consumption results in a fatty liver!

Apples, pears, quince, mango are high in fructose, to mention just a few, and honey! and some vegetables especially the chicory family. News I didn't really want to hear but there it is.
This condition is often paired with lactose-malabsorption. People with these conditions have individual reactions so it's a question of trying out what works for you.

Anyway, I have been following the Paleo diet for a month now and it agrees with me very well. I sleep better, have more energy, no bowel cramps and my athritis is quieter. Cutting out ALL grains (white rice is less bad but should not be eaten too often) was tough but not impossible. Luckily I like to cook. Then you see how pervasive eating cultures are and how addictive grain foods become. There is strong evidence to suggest that it is the whole grain versions of grains that damage our intestines the most. Increasing vegetable intake supplies plenty of fibre and keeps the body at a more neutral pH: the standard Western diet usually results in acidity which encourages Candida Albans overgrowth and osteoporosis.

http://paleodiet.com/
http://www.healthhype.com/nutrition-guide-for-fructose-malabsorption.html
and Wikipedia

So now that sugars and empty carbs are out for the Xmas season we can turn once again to animal fats that are now 'more OK' (in moderation and in an unprocessed form). They produce that feeling of satisfaction after a meal in any case. Very Paleo.

Merry Christmas to you all!
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
What to eat and how. Dec 1, 2010

Hugo wrote:

and thanks for sharing.

What kind of carbs are the most dangerous, and what specific eating habits would you recommend to avoid based on your experience?

Dear Hugo,

i really left you without an answer.

Depending on your goal you can choose a lighter or stricter regimen.

Based on my experience:

To achieve something noticeable when it comes to weight loss,
strive to eat less than 10% carbohydrates/day.

If you are a pre-diabetic or a diabetic, strive for less than 5%

If you want to get the blood sugar that I have achieved ( 4,9mmol = below 90 mg/dl)and thus getting out of diabetes one should try to be a zero-carb person, i.e.to avoid practically everything containing carbs (often the case with processed food) but to the regret of some, many vegetables, especially thos growing below ground (carrots, red beets, swedes(:))

Prerequisites:

In short: Learn to hate/dislike/sort out food that cause you harm and learn to appreciate and use food that you like and which saturates you and which you have falsely been taugt to avoid, like saturated animal fat, especially butter and cheese.

I used to love carb/starch laden food like bread (English white toast and digestives, French baguette, Swedish knäckebröd (Brit crispbread, Am. ryecrisp), Italian pizza) and like evrybody else, potatoes, pasta, rice and couscous.
Fruit especially bananas are no-no food because they are full of carbs.
An apple a day does not keep the doctor away. at least not if you aren't good at handling carbs. Fructose in apples is poison according to Prof Robert Lustig (http://www.sugarshockblog.com/2009/09/sugar-the-bitter-truth.html)

Cutting carbs and eating much more fat than you are recommended to do, was
the hardest decision to take. But help was close: A brilliant associate professor in Sweden, Uffe Ravnskov, one of the founders of THINCS (The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics, thincs.org) published a book titled "Fat and cholesterol is healthy". Having read that book I ventured to take the jump and was surprised to find how much better I felt with a calmer psyche, no snoring (appreciated by my wife), being able to soon throw away my medicines (statins, Metformin and beta-blcokers) in May 2008.

To round off this spontaneous posting I'd like to tell you what I normally eat per day:

I get a sturdy breakfast consisting of a packet of bacon (140 g) with 4 beautiful fried eggs, spiced with cayenne pepper including all fat being used in the frying pans (coconut oil). With a spoon I safeguard that I get what is left on the plate:
yolk remnants, the oil, peaces of bacon, the pepper. Yummie-yummie!!

This breakfast (sometimes completed with mushrooms or high meat content sausages.
keeps me saturated until the evening. I rarely have any mid-day hunger. If so, I could eat sardines in oil (no tomato sauce) or a chunk of hard cheese.

In the evening I eat 4 hard-boiled eggs, a fistful of shrimps (cholesterol-laden) and then I pour up to 100 g of melted butter on the taste-rich mixture, rounding it off with two glasses of red wine and X slices of hard cheese. mmmmmm!!!

If you are, like i was, fat scared, you might think that eating saturated fat is dangerous (leading up to heart disease and stroke).
I don't think so any more. Some 100.000 Swedes have tried this diet and regained health (some 20.000 diabetics)
Many of my network friends have used this diet for up to 10 years and they are very well and healthy.
I know of two perons that have practised this for more than 50 years, still alive and kicking. One of them has written one of the best books on this subject, namely the Brit Barry Groves (http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/aboutbg.html).

A very good source of knowledge is Gary Taube's "Good calories Bad calories" (http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/07/gary-taubes-goo.html).

I have many more links but in order not to tire you, I stop here.

If you want personal input, Skype me at 'MatsWiman' (I'm too slow and bad at the keyboard )

Have a nice evening!

Frances Leggett
Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
Italian to English
+ ...
For anyone who may be interested... Dec 1, 2010

I came across this site of a Dr Mercola who often highlights alternative forms of treatment and discusses health problem myths relating to diets and real health problems caused by the food on our supermarket shelves.

I'm not saying everything he says is the absolute final word but it might be interesting for some of you who have posted here to have a look at... food for thought!
... See more
I came across this site of a Dr Mercola who often highlights alternative forms of treatment and discusses health problem myths relating to diets and real health problems caused by the food on our supermarket shelves.

I'm not saying everything he says is the absolute final word but it might be interesting for some of you who have posted here to have a look at... food for thought!

http://www.mercola.com/

[Edited at 2010-12-01 20:19 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Good advice, Frances Dec 1, 2010

"I'm not saying everything he says is the absolute final word but it might be interesting for some of you who have posted here to have a look at... food for thought!
http://www.mercola.com/"

I agree very much with what you say.
Dr Mercolas is maybe the best 'alternative' Internet doctor in the US.
Another one is MD Russel Blaylock (
... See more
"I'm not saying everything he says is the absolute final word but it might be interesting for some of you who have posted here to have a look at... food for thought!
http://www.mercola.com/"

I agree very much with what you say.
Dr Mercolas is maybe the best 'alternative' Internet doctor in the US.
Another one is MD Russel Blaylock (www.blaylockreport.com/ )

They have both inspired me.

Mats
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Edited version of my answer to Hugo Dec 3, 2010

I let one of my medicacl peers check my posting for possible inaccuracies and here is his version (additions in italics):

Answer to Hugo:

Many try to cloud the physiological functioning of the human metabolism by talking about 'fast' and 'slow' carbohydrates meaning that the fast ones
are bad but the slow ones are good.
Fast carbs are e.g. sugar, HFCS (High Fructose Corn Sirup), refined flour
as in white bread (I used to love baguettes) and sof
... See more
I let one of my medicacl peers check my posting for possible inaccuracies and here is his version (additions in italics):

Answer to Hugo:

Many try to cloud the physiological functioning of the human metabolism by talking about 'fast' and 'slow' carbohydrates meaning that the fast ones
are bad but the slow ones are good.
Fast carbs are e.g. sugar, HFCS (High Fructose Corn Sirup), refined flour
as in white bread (I used to love baguettes) and soft drinks sweetened with
sugar or HFCS. These immediately and quickly trigger insulin which leads
the produced blood sugar into cells needing energy, at the same time
blocking
the burning of body fat, which remains where it has been deposited.
The unused blood sugar is deposited as fat, And insulin has more tricks up the sleeve to normalize the blood glucose level.
Most people don't know aboutthese mechanisms.
I did not until 3 years ago.
Truth is that all carbohydrates (even slow ones) raise glucose and need insulin.

Most people do not know the basic fact that carbohydrates are converted
into blood sugar by our metabolism, so it not only sugar which has to be
avoided, which many believe (or have been led to believe).

Carb-laden foods are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes to name a
few (I might publish a carb list later)

Mats

[Edited at 2010-12-03 16:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-03 16:57 GMT]
Collapse

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Very interesting and also surprisng Dec 5, 2010

Thank you very much Mats, your diet descriptions are exactly what most people crave : concrete examples ! I will digest all this information as well as other colleagues' comments. Off the bat, I have to say it is a bit surprising to read the extent to which you recommend fatty foods. I almost automatically associate fatty foods such as burgers ou sausages or cheese with the expression "artery-clogging".

Have a great evening !

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:50
German to English
+ ...
8 eggs/day?! Dec 5, 2010

Oh my. Well, if it turns out not to be healthy, at least you'll go with a smile on your face.

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Diététique du cerveau Dec 10, 2010

Dear Mats,

This book written by Dr. Jean-Marie Bourre provides a very in-depth analysis of several food categories with plenty of examples, for instance there is a long chapter about different types of fats and their impact. Due to the copyright restrictions I cannot comment much further except to say that I find it very helpful, with very clear, detailed and understandable scientific information.

Have a great evening !

p.s: The book I have was published by
... See more
Dear Mats,

This book written by Dr. Jean-Marie Bourre provides a very in-depth analysis of several food categories with plenty of examples, for instance there is a long chapter about different types of fats and their impact. Due to the copyright restrictions I cannot comment much further except to say that I find it very helpful, with very clear, detailed and understandable scientific information.

Have a great evening !

p.s: The book I have was published by Odile Jacob
Collapse

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 13:50
Turkish to English
+ ...
Books Dec 10, 2010

I humlbly wrote 2 books and have videos on DM in youtube after many years of researches. I hope it may be useful for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVCBCuX3vjw

Erika Burdeniukaite
Erika Burdeniukaite  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 12:50
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
It's really great to hear that! Dec 21, 2010

Dear Mats!

It's really great to hear that you are feeling much better now.

I am also slightly overweight although no one could notice that except my husband. No worries, he is slightly overweight too Well, some time ago I lost around 5-6 kg in 1 month but then I again returned to my nasty eating habits. I actually don't eat much but my eating is so much nasty and unordered. And my other problem is eve
... See more
Dear Mats!

It's really great to hear that you are feeling much better now.

I am also slightly overweight although no one could notice that except my husband. No worries, he is slightly overweight too Well, some time ago I lost around 5-6 kg in 1 month but then I again returned to my nasty eating habits. I actually don't eat much but my eating is so much nasty and unordered. And my other problem is even greater. I almost don't drink water. I simply forget to drink. And my third nasty sin is that I love juices and sugar!

So here I am, slightly overweight in my Unhappily Ever After.

[Edited at 2010-12-21 23:42 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
"Please tell us something about fruits" Dec 23, 2010

I have been asked to to comment on fruits.

I has been and still is one of the strongest mantras and myths about healthy food:

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away" and the rather iunrealistic advice like

"Have five servings a day of fruit and vegetables".

"We all" know that these are good advice.

They WERE good some 50 years ago when both fruits and vegetables were rich in vitamins
and minerals and also did not contain harmf
... See more
I have been asked to to comment on fruits.

I has been and still is one of the strongest mantras and myths about healthy food:

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away" and the rather iunrealistic advice like

"Have five servings a day of fruit and vegetables".

"We all" know that these are good advice.

They WERE good some 50 years ago when both fruits and vegetables were rich in vitamins
and minerals and also did not contain harmful chemicals from insecticides and other
bacteria-fighting biocides. As many of us know, many of them contain traces of pesticides and are NOT rich in either minerals or vitamins.

Completely forgotten by the public and by most doctors is the fact that most fruits and many
vegetables are rich in carbohydrates.

Examples (high g/100g): Annanas 11.2 plums 11.3 pears 12.2 apples 12.2 mangos 15.3 grapes 16.2 fruit coctail incl. srop 19.2Bananas 21.8 Orange juice 37.5 figs 60.5 dates 68 raisins 69.3

Low: Avocado 4.1 raspberries 4.4 grapefruit 6.5 lemin 7.3 strawberries 7.4 honeydew melon 8.3 water melon 8.3 apricot 9 peach 9 satsumas 9.3 lime 10.0 orange 10.3

AND - I repeat it, carbohydrates is what makes our body fat to grow and to stay, NOT fat.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Good for you Mats... Dec 23, 2010

Mats Wiman wrote:

I get a sturdy breakfast consisting of a packet of bacon (140 g) with 4 beautiful fried eggs, spiced with cayenne pepper including all fat being used in the frying pans (coconut oil). With a spoon I safeguard that I get what is left on the plate:
yolk remnants, the oil, peaces of bacon, the pepper. Yummie-yummie!!

This breakfast (sometimes completed with mushrooms or high meat content sausages.
keeps me saturated until the evening. I rarely have any mid-day hunger. If so, I could eat sardines in oil (no tomato sauce) or a chunk of hard cheese.

In the evening I eat 4 hard-boiled eggs, a fistful of shrimps (cholesterol-laden) and then I pour up to 100 g of melted butter on the taste-rich mixture, rounding it off with two glasses of red wine and X slices of hard cheese. mmmmmm!!!

...but 8 eggs/day? 100 g. melted butter? Whoa, I'm glad it worked for you, I know I would be dead after a week. But perhaps in freezing Sweden you need more calories to stay warm, I guess!

I actually dropped 15 kg in six months by following the simple rules written by this guy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easyweigh-Lose-Weight/dp/0140263586

which states quite opposite concepts of yours: lots of fruits and vegetables and in general all food with a high content of water, no cheese and milk at all (Carr says humans are the only "animals" who keep assuming milk AFTER weaning - I don't know if this is true, it might be). I certainly am aware of pesticides and all, but then again what do you think chickens are fed with? That's right: corn, or chicken food treated with pesticides or crap like that. No escape from that, I am afraid.

Carr basically sustains that by dividing the daily intake of food in three parts (breakfast, lunch and dinner), you are allowed to 1/3 of junk food (preferably in the evening). The other two parts have to be the most unprocessed and natural food as possible: fruit (fresh and dry), vegetables, legumes, some carbs such as pasta and any kind of bread.

What can I say, it worked for me

[Edited at 2010-12-23 17:56 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How i lost 15 kg and escaped diabetes

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »