Ergonomic Chair/Desk Combination
Thread poster: Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
Member (2008)
German to English
Feb 5, 2010

I have recently started getting the odd twinge in my back and think that this is probably caused by a combination of a desk that is too tall for me and a chair that doesn't really offer very good support for my back.

The upshot of this is that I need to have a rethink about my workstation. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality office chairs and/or desks/workstations?

Many thanks,

Rob

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 07:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Poll on vaguely similar topic Feb 5, 2010

Quite a long time ago I asked a q for a quick poll about where people were sitting as they did the poll, and while it was pretty light-hearted stuff there were some responses with useful content: http://www.proz.com/polls/archived?poll_id_link=2562

david young
david young  Identity Verified
France
French to English
try Feb 5, 2010

a well-padded reclining chair or settee (the ones with the button on the side). They're cheap, and I've been reclining in one for three years now, with ma laptop (or keyboard) on ma knee. They're convenient for a quick nap too, and help get rid of the whole "office" atmosphere if you're working from home. After all, where is it written that "man shall work sitting upright"? Crazy position.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:40
English to German
+ ...
downview monitor Feb 5, 2010

I’m working with a downview monitor, i.e. the monitor is under my desk and I look through a glass plate down onto the screen - a natural writing position. I have never ever had a back ache from computer work, and my desk is always uncluttered; there is plenty of space for dictionaries and paper documents on 2 pull-out extensions to the right and left. Where I live (western Canada), this type of desk is used in many college classrooms and libraries, supposedly because they encourage stude... See more
I’m working with a downview monitor, i.e. the monitor is under my desk and I look through a glass plate down onto the screen - a natural writing position. I have never ever had a back ache from computer work, and my desk is always uncluttered; there is plenty of space for dictionaries and paper documents on 2 pull-out extensions to the right and left. Where I live (western Canada), this type of desk is used in many college classrooms and libraries, supposedly because they encourage students to look on their own screen instead of letting their eyes wander over to their neighbour’s
http://images.versatables.com/nav/b08/DV-Blue.jpg

Mine is a special version of that design – a beautiful, old fashioned oak roll-top desk that cost me a small fortune once, but it is worth every cent! I ‘m sitting on a run-of-the mill office chair with a high back.
And my clients? They can relax on a beautiful blue velvet chaise-longue

cheers,
johanna
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Large comfortable reclining leather armchair Feb 5, 2010

That is what I sit in. It has a tall back, and provides excellent back support. It has large well padded elbow rests. It swivels, it reclines. There is a large padded stool on which I can rest my legs. Altogether very comfortable. Twinge-free.

Not the ideal position for using the keyboard, you may think, particularly as my desk is higher than average. Quite right, not ideal. But adequate. And fairly irrelevant, as I use speech recognition instead of typing.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Exactly Feb 5, 2010

david young wrote:

a well-padded reclining chair or settee (the ones with the button on the side). They're cheap, and I've been reclining in one for three years now, with ma laptop (or keyboard) on ma knee. They're convenient for a quick nap too, and help get rid of the whole "office" atmosphere if you're working from home. After all, where is it written that "man shall work sitting upright"? Crazy position.

Completely agree with David, I don't sit on a chair anymore, I found out that this was not a comfortable position. I have a padded half-chair and I lay on a mattress. It is still not the ideal position (that would be "not working at all"), but it is much better than before, and I also have my keyboard on my lap, a lapboard

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:40
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's more than only chair and desk ... Feb 5, 2010

Take a look at the document on this link: www.hp.com/ergo

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Everyone! Feb 5, 2010

Many thanks for your help everyone! It seems there is a lot to be considered....

Have a nice weekend.

Rob

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ergonomic Chair/Desk Combination Feb 5, 2010

Rob Edwards wrote:

I have recently started getting the odd twinge in my back and think that this is probably caused by a combination of a desk that is too tall for me and a chair that doesn't really offer very good support for my back.

The upshot of this is that I need to have a rethink about my workstation. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality office chairs and/or desks/workstations?

Many thanks,

Rob

I had also backaches in the past. But, the solution was no far away. Now I dictate, instead of typing during hours. It is faster and you do not need to sit all the time. Screen may be at desk, but I have a wall-arm too were I can put it if I am standing up.

In behalf of ergonomic chairs, be very prudent. If they are not customized to you (and they will cost then an arm and a leg), you can end with a sinovial effusion. At least, this is what my physician said last time I visit him...

[Editado a las 2010-02-05 21:09 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:40
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...