Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:18
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Keyboard table from Ikea Feb 7, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Before jumping into something expensive you could try my solution. I sit on a normal wooden chair with four legs and a straight back and have my keyboard and mouse (rollermouse pro) under the table on a keyboard tablet from Ikea (19 Euro). A very simple arrangement.

Regards
Heinrich

Many thanks for the tip Heinrich. That might be a good thing to try indeed. Particularly as it only costs £10.99.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dragon Naturally Speaking Feb 7, 2010

Many thanks to everyone who mentioned speech recognition software as a good solution. I am certainly tempted, but before I think about Dragon, I have decided to try out the Windows speech recognition facility. I have Windows 7 and have had a try so far with varying results (I probably need to invest in a decent headset).

Does anyone know how Dragon compares with Microsoft's own solution?

Many thanks,

Rob

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:18
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ergonomic Chair/Desk Combination Feb 7, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

Hi

from my beginning as a translator in 2000 and till to 2005 I bought, used and thrown in the dustbin 5 office chairs, from a very cheap one, 50 EUR or so, to a couple of much more expensive chairs for about 200 EUR but no one of them was able to avoid backaches

in 2006 I bought the Rolls Royce of office chairs, i.e. a Sedus Open Up with elbowrest and headrest, and I cannot remember a backache since then, even after many many hours continuously sitting on it

Pros:
adjustable backrest pressure, dorsokinetic backrest, and a gas lift mechanism with seat-depth springing
Furthermore, you can recline the backrest at 30°, having your head cosily nestled on headrest, and all segments are adjustable: a great piece of hardware and a very sturdy chair (I'm 85 Kg)

Cons:
very expensive (about 1000 EUR in Italy on 2006) but it's worth doing, to me, as we have one spine only ...

http://www.sedus.de/se/en/downloads/files-products/P/P_open_mind_open_up_engl.pdf

Claudio

Yes, good ergonomic chairs are quite expensive. Take a look at the Gravity Balans from Varier (formerly Stokke & explanation is worth a read), a chair I would recommend to any long time sitting people.

However, this may be the best solution for some (as myself some years ago), it maybe harmful for others. I know that some colleagues have had a vertige sensation due to the variable center of gravity. To be taken in account too with this kind of chairs: only a few parts are adjustable, as they should be directly customized to you by the vendor and this vill cost time and money.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
few parts are adjustable? Feb 7, 2010

Hi Pablo

all parts of my Sedus are adjustable:
height and angle of head-rest
width, height, direction, lenght, and angle of forearm-rest
(there is NO wrist-rest here)
height of backrest
pressure of dorsokinetic backrest (you can even block it)
height and angle of seat
so, I can't understand what do you want still adjust ...

well, just before buying
... See more
Hi Pablo

all parts of my Sedus are adjustable:
height and angle of head-rest
width, height, direction, lenght, and angle of forearm-rest
(there is NO wrist-rest here)
height of backrest
pressure of dorsokinetic backrest (you can even block it)
height and angle of seat
so, I can't understand what do you want still adjust ...

well, just before buying my Sedus I was allured by this tool
http://ergoboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3219
but I finally decided for the Sedus as the Stance was not commercialized in Europe and import duties were too high

anyway, I have the IKEA adjustable keyboard-holder too
I currently use a Bamboo tablet (before I tried a gamepad)
and I use mainly DNS instead of keyboard

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-02-07 14:14 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Emma for mentioning it Feb 7, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Solution to problems with back pain and chairs: Get rid of the chair.
I'm investigating treadmill desks at the moment, and the idea of walking while working

I've never heard about it before - but after reading your post I've done some research and it seems to be a very attractive alternative. Probably I wouldn't go as far as getting rid of a desk altogether (well maybe at some point - who knows) but it would be great to take a break from sitting down and have some exercise

Cheers
Stanislaw

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here is what my osteopath said... Feb 16, 2010

...when I sent him the requested photo of me sitting at my desk:

You sit well but your back is unsupported by your chair and you tend to lean forward and protract (push forward) your neck.
Your screen is 6" too far away from you current sitting position (as per the photo) and I can see that there is no facility for bringing it nearer to you but that is not an insurmountable problem. A friendly carpenter could sort that easily or you could move toward it as there are no obstruc
... See more
...when I sent him the requested photo of me sitting at my desk:

You sit well but your back is unsupported by your chair and you tend to lean forward and protract (push forward) your neck.
Your screen is 6" too far away from you current sitting position (as per the photo) and I can see that there is no facility for bringing it nearer to you but that is not an insurmountable problem. A friendly carpenter could sort that easily or you could move toward it as there are no obstructions under the desk. The screen is also 3-4" too low and it is slightly off centre so you are looking slightly down and rotating your neck slightly to the right which could cause discomfort after long periods at the desk.
The screen should be at arms length from your comfortable sitting position and your eyes should be level with the top of the screen.

Oops!!
Collapse

Renata Forgacs
Renata Forgacs  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I was shocked when I saw the photo of me sitting at my desk! Feb 16, 2010

I had an ergonomic assessment last July and that explained why I had that terrible backache...

I was sitting at a desk of fixed height of 83 cm - this desk was way too high for me and caused me to adopt a poor hunched upper shoulder posture and an increased bent elbow posture. The seat pan of my chair was too short and did not fully support the length of my thighs. I was told that there was no lumbar support and these factors all increase the load on the structure of the spine.
... See more
I had an ergonomic assessment last July and that explained why I had that terrible backache...

I was sitting at a desk of fixed height of 83 cm - this desk was way too high for me and caused me to adopt a poor hunched upper shoulder posture and an increased bent elbow posture. The seat pan of my chair was too short and did not fully support the length of my thighs. I was told that there was no lumbar support and these factors all increase the load on the structure of the spine.

Since then I have bought a new desk and chair from Online-Ergonomics - both quite expensive but they were worth the money!
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
How tall are you, Renata? Feb 16, 2010

Renata Forgacs wrote:

Since then I have bought a new desk and chair from Online-Ergonomics - both quite expensive but they were worth the money!

I'm about to get a new workstation made for me - I'd never even thought about what height it should be! But the description of your posture sounds all too familiar to me...

Renata Forgacs
Renata Forgacs  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Under my profile picture it should say: 'This is how NOT to sit if you want to avoid back pain...' Feb 17, 2010

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I'm about to get a new workstation made for me - I'd never even thought about what height it should be! But the description of your posture sounds all too familiar to me...

Hi Marie-Hélène,

I am 164 cm tall (or should I say, short...) so the old desk was really way too high for me. I have just realized I still use that profile-picture with the old desk in the background so if you look left you can see my poor posture. I guess if you have a chair with adjustable seat height, that can solve the problem of a taller desk but then you might need a foot rest as well...

I was told that the recommended posture for work is: with shoulders relaxed, back fully supported by the backrest, and feet resting comfortably on the foot rest; elbows bent to 90 degrees, with forearms parallel with the floor (resting comfortably on the desktop), maintaining wrists flat, with the middle finger comfortably reaching the QWERTY row of keys.

I guess these things are quite important and we should all think about them when buying a new workstation...

Good luck!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Feb 17, 2010

Renata Forgacs wrote:

Hi Marie-Hélène,

I am 164 cm tall (or should I say, short...) so the old desk was really way too high for me. I have just realized I still use that profile-picture with the old desk in the background so if you look left you can see my poor posture. I guess if you have a chair with adjustable seat height, that can solve the problem of a taller desk but then you might need a foot rest as well...

I was told that the recommended posture for work is: with shoulders relaxed, back fully supported by the backrest, and feet resting comfortably on the foot rest; elbows bent to 90 degrees, with forearms parallel with the floor (resting comfortably on the desktop), maintaining wrists flat, with the middle finger comfortably reaching the QWERTY row of keys.

I guess these things are quite important and we should all think about them when buying a new workstation...

Good luck!

I'm only 1 cm taller, so if your desk and mine are both a standard height then it sounds like mine is too high for me too (although I think my chair must be much higher than yours, as I'm not typing at shoulder level as you seem to be in your photo). Infuriatingly, all my tape measures seem to have disappeared so I can't check right now, but as your description of the correct working position doesn't correspond to my actual working position in the slightest, I'm pretty certain I need to change something!

Thanks again.

[Edited at 2010-02-17 12:35 GMT]

Johanne Benoit-Gallagher
Johanne Benoit-Gallagher  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:18
English to French
Once you have the perfect office space, do not forget... Feb 18, 2010

I have appreciated reading all the suggestions, having had to consider different options for my health needs. Just recently, I added a tablet/stylus to replace my mouse. This has proved to be a valuable option so far.

Since our bodies are made to move and not to stay in the same position for hours, I just thought I would add: do not forget to exercise regularly, to eat well, to sleep enough and to play! This is the health professional in me speaking, but even the best office set up
... See more
I have appreciated reading all the suggestions, having had to consider different options for my health needs. Just recently, I added a tablet/stylus to replace my mouse. This has proved to be a valuable option so far.

Since our bodies are made to move and not to stay in the same position for hours, I just thought I would add: do not forget to exercise regularly, to eat well, to sleep enough and to play! This is the health professional in me speaking, but even the best office set up cannot compensate for hours and years of translation. The strain of a sedentary lifestyle should not be underestimated.

Back problems can be due to some muscles being over/under utilized. So in addition to the perfect workspace, a professional such as a kinesiologist could help you assess which exercises would be most beneficial in strengthening your back and body posture.

Santé!
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ergonomic Chair/Desk Combination Feb 18, 2010

Johanne Benoit-Gallagher wrote:

Since our bodies are made to move and not to stay in the same position for hours, I just thought I would add: do not forget to exercise regularly, to eat well, to sleep enough and to play! This is the health professional in me speaking, but even the best office set up cannot compensate for hours and years of translation. The strain of a sedentary lifestyle should not be underestimated.

Back problems can be due to some muscles being over/under utilized. So in addition to the perfect workspace, a professional such as a kinesiologist could help you assess which exercises would be most beneficial in strengthening your back and body posture.

Santé!

A headset and DNS might help. It allow you to dictate, at the same time you make some postural hygiene exercises or light aerobic...

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
mine Feb 18, 2010

A good chair doesn't have to be weird or expensive. Unless you think EUR 150 is expensive. In any case, this is what I have and it is comfortable like a bed - never had a better chair. No other chair of mine has had proper lower AND upper back support. And a nice head rest to prevent neck stiffness.

UK link:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101<
... See more
A good chair doesn't have to be weird or expensive. Unless you think EUR 150 is expensive. In any case, this is what I have and it is comfortable like a bed - never had a better chair. No other chair of mine has had proper lower AND upper back support. And a nice head rest to prevent neck stiffness.

UK link:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101

[Edited at 2010-02-18 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

ergonomic requirements Oct 10, 2011

Rob Edwards wrote:

I have recently started getting the odd twinge in my back and think that this is probably caused by a combination of a desk that is too tall for me and a chair that doesn't really offer very good support for my back.

The upshot of this is that I need to have a rethink about my workstation. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality office chairs and/or desks/workstations?

Many thanks,

Rob

It is truly important to make sure that the demands of your job will be complemented with the proper furniture and dependable work station.

Consider the Aeron Apr 15, 2013

Rob Edwards wrote:

I have recently started getting the odd twinge in my back and think that this is probably caused by a combination of a desk that is too tall for me and a chair that doesn't really offer very good support for my back.

The upshot of this is that I need to have a rethink about my workstation. Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality office chairs and/or desks/workstations?

Many thanks,

Rob

I'm a programmer so I sit in front of the computer all day. The HM Aeron ergonomic chair really works for me. Before I bought it, I used to have back pains and it was hard for me to sleep at night because of it. Now, I don't have anymor back problems.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ergonomic Chair/Desk Combination

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »