United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
don't agree with your statement re RAM Nov 19, 2014

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

My opinion:

Do's: ThinkPads, Dell Precision, perhaps high-end HP & Fujitsu Lifebooks.

Dont's: Acer, MSI, cheap HPs, Lenovo IdeaPads.

My minimum specs requirements:

CPU – Intel i5 or higher.
RAM – 4 GB fast (!!!); (it doesn't make much sense to have more, because most programs we use are 32-bit anyway).
Hard drive – SSD (at least 120 GB; for the OS and programs you use most) + 1 TB HDD @ 7,200 rpm (for everything else).
Display – at least 15" FullHD (1980 x 1024).

Chrome is currently using almost 3GB on my computer, and 50% of my programs are 64-bit. 64-bit is the future. More and more apps are being released in 64-bit versions. 4GB is way too little IMO.

My computer is currently using 11.2GB of RAM, of my 32GB total.

Michael

[Edited at 2014-11-19 17:12 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:31
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Switching keys Nov 19, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

as far as I know, Lenovo was smart enough to let people switch them on their newer laptops,

Yep, I switched these keys some time ago by changing the setting in my BIOS.

Sorry to hear you got stuck with them on an external Thinkpad keyboard.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 20:31
English to Indonesian
+ ...
The future started in 2004 Nov 19, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
...64-bit is the future.

Apple switched to 64-bit in OS X Tiger. It's hard to find a 32-bit app for OS X nowadays.

Cheers,

Hans

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Which Thinkpad? Nov 20, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Which Thinkpad?

Mine is a T430, with Windows 8. Yes, it's another story.
It doesn't mean necessarily that Windows is the culprit, as I guess some drivers and other software layers are not developed by Microsoft... and they aren't developed with IBM's help anymore.
As I already said, I've had excellent IBM ThinkPads in the past, but from a software standpoint, I think there are some issues with the new Lenovo generations.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Windows 32 vs. Windows 64 Nov 20, 2014

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

RAM – 4 GB fast (!!!); (it doesn't make much sense to have more, because most programs we use are 32-bit anyway).

Apparently you are thinking of the 3.x GB limit that exists for Windows 32.

With Windows 32, this limit holds for all applications together. But with Windows 64, it holds for any single application. It is possible to run your A application using 4 GB and your B application using another 4 GB and so on – until the RAM is full. Additionally Windows 64 can use "superflous" RAM as cache memory, thereby reducing the swap file actions.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I don't seem to need so much RAM Nov 28, 2014

Currently I'm running Thunderbird with emails since 2008, Word 2010, two games, pdf-reader, EU-dictionary, Firefox with 3 and Chrome with 6 tabs open, Studio 2014, and I use 4.4 GB of my 8 GB.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which laptop for professional use

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »