Advice:MA from University of North London=good?//Sponsorship to support MA Studies=possible?
Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2003

I am hoping to train as a translator by doing a part-time MA, and there are a number of issues that have currently arisen:

1)As I am restricted to part-time and living in London, the best place I have found that offers an evening MA is the University of North London (now Metropolitan University). However, I have had, from various sources, dubious reports as to its reputation, and hence the value of a qualification that they issue. Can anyone advise on this point? Alternative
... See more
I am hoping to train as a translator by doing a part-time MA, and there are a number of issues that have currently arisen:

1)As I am restricted to part-time and living in London, the best place I have found that offers an evening MA is the University of North London (now Metropolitan University). However, I have had, from various sources, dubious reports as to its reputation, and hence the value of a qualification that they issue. Can anyone advise on this point? Alternatively, can anyone recommend other insitutions that do a part-time evening MA in translation?

2)Is sponsorship a possibility to help fund such a course? Are there translation companies and agencies who would be willing to sponsor my studies, on the basis maybe that I am bound to work for them for a period on completion of the course? Advise would again be appreciated.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
How about Mar 10, 2003

MA in technical translation from Imperial College and Uni of Westminster do lots of courses?

Lydia Smith
Lydia Smith
French to English
+ ...
Can't comment on North London but... Mar 10, 2003

I did mine at Westminster, but you\'re right they don\'t do evening part-time which is why I decided to take the plunge and go full-time (and it was an excellent very practical course, well worth the debt!).

You could try City University, Birkbeck, Imperial College - not sure exactly what courses they offer, but have a look. City Uni and the City Lit also do IOL Diploma preparation courses (evenings) which you might like to consider if you can\'t find a suitable MA.

I doubt y
... See more
I did mine at Westminster, but you\'re right they don\'t do evening part-time which is why I decided to take the plunge and go full-time (and it was an excellent very practical course, well worth the debt!).

You could try City University, Birkbeck, Imperial College - not sure exactly what courses they offer, but have a look. City Uni and the City Lit also do IOL Diploma preparation courses (evenings) which you might like to consider if you can\'t find a suitable MA.

I doubt you would get sponsorship, not from translation companies anyhow. You might be lucky to get sponsorship from a large company or government institution but you\'ll have to write a lot of letters. However, the Arts and Humanities Research Board (don\'t know the web site but should be easy to find) offer a bursary for this type of course. You have to apply fairly well in advance and there are a limited number of places, but it\'s definitely worth looking into. I missed the deadline the year I decided to study, so I got a Careers Development Loan instead.

Hope that helps
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
re your post Mar 10, 2003

Hi there.

Check out these forum postings for some more ideas.

Best of luck, and let us know which course you go for and what it\'s like!

Amy

louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'd agree Apr 28, 2003

There is a very good MA course at Westminster, I know \'cos I\'m doing it! It\'s very practical and gives you a good grounding on which to build, but remember, it\'s experience that counts at the end of the day. You can do the Westminster course part-time day (I think it\'s 1.5 days per week) or fulltime, which I\'m doing. Feel free to email me if you want more info ([email protected]).

Daniela Innocente
Daniela Innocente
English to Spanish
+ ...
keep yours eyes opened! May 2, 2003

hi... unfortunately, I can\'t say much about MAs and MPhils, cause I\'m still stuck with IoL Diplomas...

But I feel you should know a bit more about North London University before jumping in the pool... I know we can\'t break the Rules of Etiquette, so this is my experience: I sent for some info regarding PGCEs (teaching courses) in August 02 saying the deadline for applications was in December 02, and I merely got a brochure in February 03, two months (that\'s 8 weeks!) after the dead
... See more
hi... unfortunately, I can\'t say much about MAs and MPhils, cause I\'m still stuck with IoL Diplomas...

But I feel you should know a bit more about North London University before jumping in the pool... I know we can\'t break the Rules of Etiquette, so this is my experience: I sent for some info regarding PGCEs (teaching courses) in August 02 saying the deadline for applications was in December 02, and I merely got a brochure in February 03, two months (that\'s 8 weeks!) after the deadline passed. Based on what they offer o their website, i put them down as one of my options. I\'m strongly regretting it now. After a few phone calls requesting answers regarding my application, in late March I was asked for permission to keep it for 1 more week, reason: interviewing. Well, it\'s May already and I still haven\'t heard of them. Neither for interview dates nor for rejection or acceptance.

That does not mean you won\'t get recognition, but I thought you may like to know that they\'re not at all at English Universities Standards, and things go a bit further than sceptical smiles when you mention it.

Be informed before making any decisions. In things like this, time is very important and they don\'t seem to care for other people\'s time!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Dani
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice:MA from University of North London=good?//Sponsorship to support MA Studies=possible?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »