How can I find a mentor? (English-Italian)
Thread poster: SimoC
SimoC
SimoC
Local time: 21:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 6, 2003

Dear Translators,

I\'m not sure if I\'m doing well to post this

request to you, so I apologize if I have got it wrong. I\'m just at the beginning of my carreer as a translator; I completed a Degree in Foreign Language and Literature two years ago and a Diploma in Interpreting and Translator skills last June, but I realized I need to improve the quality of my translations. There are a lot of good translators, but unfortunately it\'s not hard to find many bad quali
... See more
Dear Translators,

I\'m not sure if I\'m doing well to post this

request to you, so I apologize if I have got it wrong. I\'m just at the beginning of my carreer as a translator; I completed a Degree in Foreign Language and Literature two years ago and a Diploma in Interpreting and Translator skills last June, but I realized I need to improve the quality of my translations. There are a lot of good translators, but unfortunately it\'s not hard to find many bad quality translators around too. I would like to avoid that my translations are poor quality. That\'s why I\'m looking for a mentor who is willing to share their experience with me. Many agencies prefer not contact me because I have no experience, but I prefer not to waste my time and training, I\'m eager to learn, I just hope someone will give me this opportunity.

I would be very grateful if you could utilize my skills in any way.

My language combination is: ENGLISH-ITALIAN

Thank You,

Simona

Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
ITI Feb 6, 2003

The ITI has a mentoring scheme.

Marc

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
ATA - American Translators Association Feb 6, 2003

The ATA also has a mentoring program. You can get some information here:

http://www.atanet.org/Mentor/

Regards,

Nathalie

Margaret Lomas (X)
Margaret Lomas (X)
Local time: 20:58
French to English
+ ...
ITI Mentoring scheme Mar 20, 2003

Although the ITI say they have a mentoring scheme on their website, it is not actually up and running yet and won\'t be until at least the end of the year apparently. I think this is a great pity because I would very much appreciate the advice of an experienced translator to help me get started. So, if there is anyone out there.....!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
ITI mentoring scheme Mar 20, 2003

\"Although the ITI say they have a mentoring scheme on their website, it is not actually up and running yet and won\'t be until at least the end of the year apparently.\"

In fact, ITI has had a scheme in place for many years; Lanna Castellano has however very recently proposed setting up a new scheme, which will be e-forum-based.

If anyone is interested, I suggest they contact the ITI office to get the latest information rather than waiting.

<
... See more
\"Although the ITI say they have a mentoring scheme on their website, it is not actually up and running yet and won\'t be until at least the end of the year apparently.\"

In fact, ITI has had a scheme in place for many years; Lanna Castellano has however very recently proposed setting up a new scheme, which will be e-forum-based.

If anyone is interested, I suggest they contact the ITI office to get the latest information rather than waiting.

Marc
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Should not be a problem Mar 28, 2003

You find lots of translators for your language pair here at ProZ. Choose one, contact her/him and ask, that you get some jobs as tests. This partner would tell you, where you stand, what you do well and what not so well. Many also outsource part of their work from time to time. Probably no chance to get in-house jobs as long as you are inexperienced, and when you are experienced, you want care a badly paid in-house position anymore.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I find a mentor? (English-Italian)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »