Thread poster: Lucy Phillips
Lucy Phillips
Lucy Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2003

I\'ve recently joined Proz and though I\'ve been translating through academic contacts for some time, I am only recently starting to look for work more widely.

I\'d be grateful for comments on the advantages/disadvantages of posting your rates online as I\'ve noticed some do it and some don\'t.

I\'d also be interested in any information on current rates (I\'m UK-based) for Spanish and Portuguese to English, as I know that the rates I have been receiving
... See more
I\'ve recently joined Proz and though I\'ve been translating through academic contacts for some time, I am only recently starting to look for work more widely.

I\'d be grateful for comments on the advantages/disadvantages of posting your rates online as I\'ve noticed some do it and some don\'t.

I\'d also be interested in any information on current rates (I\'m UK-based) for Spanish and Portuguese to English, as I know that the rates I have been receiving for academic work are pretty low. I want to strike a balance between getting a decent rate for my work and not undercutting anyone else!
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
German to English
+ ...
Pros and cons Feb 5, 2003

Hi Lucy, and welcome to ProZ.com!

There are advantages and disadvantages to posting your rates. The advantage is that you are unlikely to get bothered by people asking you to work at below your stated rate, the disadvantage is that you are unlikely to get people offering to pay you more!

Information on pricing is always difficult, as there are so many variables to take into consideration. If you become a platinum member, you can view the rate stats for y
... See more
Hi Lucy, and welcome to ProZ.com!

There are advantages and disadvantages to posting your rates. The advantage is that you are unlikely to get bothered by people asking you to work at below your stated rate, the disadvantage is that you are unlikely to get people offering to pay you more!

Information on pricing is always difficult, as there are so many variables to take into consideration. If you become a platinum member, you can view the rate stats for your language pairs. But as this is for all people working in these language pairs throughout the world, it is not necessarily telling!

The ITI also publish a \'rates and salaries survey\' every year, which you can order from their website (www.iti.org.uk) for around ten pounds.

HTH

Mary
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
German to English
+ ...
Posting rates Feb 5, 2003

I send a price list to anyone who asks, but I don\'t post my rates. The general public is ignorant enough about translation as it is, and I feel that posting rates encourages customers to select translators on the basis of price, when there are more important criteria to consider.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

posting rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »