Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What can a translator do if he doesn\'t receive money from a job he did on-line?
Thread poster: Michele Galuppo
Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:24
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Let them know that others will know! Jan 5, 2003

I have had similar experiences with agencies. What I do I these cases is send them a polite email mentioning that, \"despite of myself, and since I did not get any reply to my reminders, I have no other option but make this incident of non payment known to the translation community\" and then I include all the sites (Agency Blue Board, newsgroups, etc) where I will post the incident if they did not cough up the money.

It usually works.

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:24
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Don't give up Jan 5, 2003

If you have the name and email address, you can find the rest of the details over the net, probably.

Just keep one writing them. It is rather characteristic of some to delay payment on such large amounts, but with a bit of stategy you can get your money.

For additional ideas visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Actiongroup_Polylingua/

Best of luck and don\'t give up!<
... See more
If you have the name and email address, you can find the rest of the details over the net, probably.

Just keep one writing them. It is rather characteristic of some to delay payment on such large amounts, but with a bit of stategy you can get your money.

For additional ideas visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Actiongroup_Polylingua/

Best of luck and don\'t give up!

Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 08:24
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks! Grazie tante! Jan 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-04 16:06, migalu63 wrote:

Quote:

On 2003-01-04 15:36, albertov wrote:

As usual in all the Internet e-businesses...

first you have to pay and then you receive...

For example

To become a Platinum or Premium ProZ.com member you have to pay in advance...

To get a book from Amazon you... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-04 16:06, migalu63 wrote:

Quote:

On 2003-01-04 15:36, albertov wrote:

As usual in all the Internet e-businesses...

first you have to pay and then you receive...

For example

To become a Platinum or Premium ProZ.com member you have to pay in advance...

To get a book from Amazon you have to pay in advance...

And son on...

_You are completely right!__________

[ This Message was edited byn2003-01-04 15:39]

You are the first colleague that agrees with me about that subject... since I began translating in 1971...

Grazie tante!
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Dutch to English
+ ...
Get things in writing Feb 24, 2003

I agree with the others to get things in writing. Prepare a contract (there are good sample ones available) and have them sign it and fax it to you. Also have them mail you the original copy. It is also not a bad thing to ask for an advance (30-50%). Before starting with someone new, I check them out on the Blue Board.

Good Luck! Lucinda

Brian KEEGAN (X)
Brian KEEGAN (X)
Local time: 08:24
French to English
+ ...
It happened to me twice Feb 26, 2003

even though I had a purchase order on both occasions... The first client went bankrupt and I never saw my 5,000 euros, and the second client paid up when I came personally to their offices and demanded a cheque \"or I\'m not leaving\". Then they went bankrupt too... It was during the dot.com bust.

My best advice is find the client\'s address, phone them, fax them, and threaten them with a debt collection agency if these exist where you or your renegade client are located. O
... See more
even though I had a purchase order on both occasions... The first client went bankrupt and I never saw my 5,000 euros, and the second client paid up when I came personally to their offices and demanded a cheque \"or I\'m not leaving\". Then they went bankrupt too... It was during the dot.com bust.

My best advice is find the client\'s address, phone them, fax them, and threaten them with a debt collection agency if these exist where you or your renegade client are located. One friend of mine got a non-paying client to settle by setting his fax to send repeated reminders through the night on a non-stop basis, so they arrived in their office to an avalanche of faxes demanding payment...

Most important though, never send a translation to a client without first obtaining a purchase order.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What can a translator do if he doesn\'t receive money from a job he did on-line?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »