BVC  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 10, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

I would be very grateful if you could help me. I was offered the translation of a film script (EN-DE), but I have to quote a price in film meters and not per word. Could somebody please tell me how much I could charge per meter of film.

Many thanks!

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
French to English
+ ...
Charge for your time Dec 11, 2002

I think it would be a mistake to agree to payment by meters of film. You have to translate words and each meter of film can contain widely varying amounts of words. I would politely respond to the offer with your minimum charge per hour of your time to listen to and translate the spoken parts of the film.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Carolyn Dec 11, 2002

Alternatively you could ask how long the film is (in minutes, not in meters) and charge by the minute.

xima
xima  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
Per reel or per running time Dec 11, 2002

Benita and Carolyn,

this is most of the work I usually do and, at least in Spain, film translation has always been billed \"per reel\" or per running time (of the film, not the translator\'s, that is).

Sometimes you feel you are being very well payed and sometimes you feel you are being cheated. But one makes for the other.

You can always negotiate but I would never charge less than € 33 per ten minutes (TV and Home Video) or € 42 (Theatrical). It is not much
... See more
Benita and Carolyn,

this is most of the work I usually do and, at least in Spain, film translation has always been billed \"per reel\" or per running time (of the film, not the translator\'s, that is).

Sometimes you feel you are being very well payed and sometimes you feel you are being cheated. But one makes for the other.

You can always negotiate but I would never charge less than € 33 per ten minutes (TV and Home Video) or € 42 (Theatrical). It is not much nowadays, but in Spain there has been an avalanche of people who will do the work for peanuts and, on top of it, dubbing studios are pressing on their vendors to lower their prices at any rate.

And, please, for the film\'s sake and yours, translate the script always having the pictures in front of you. If you do not have the video, it\'s a useless work.

Good luck!

Xima

Collapse

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
"Charge for your time" Dec 11, 2002

I\'m a freelance translator and workin mainly in the industry as an interim manager. If I need an offer for a project and get 3 different offers saying \"depends on my time invested\", I\'m nowhere. It doesn\'t help to be polite an give your minimum charge per hr. That\'s poor information (I drove 120 miles! per hour? per day? in 2 hours?)

I would ask for a typical script (not the last 20 meters with the big kiss, but with some conversation before). If the client says jump, so jump.

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:08
Member (2005)
German to English
Be careful! Dec 12, 2002

A friend just finished translating a 2-hr movie for subtitles. She quoted an hourly rate. Unfortunately, she did this without ever seeing the movie. It took her over twelve hours to do the thing, and the customer paid her only for the 2 hours of the movie!

My advice: Get the script, if you can. If that is not possible, charge for your time and explain it to the customer. Unless you are well versed in this area, you can get bitten in the a$$ by this sort of deal.

... See more
A friend just finished translating a 2-hr movie for subtitles. She quoted an hourly rate. Unfortunately, she did this without ever seeing the movie. It took her over twelve hours to do the thing, and the customer paid her only for the 2 hours of the movie!

My advice: Get the script, if you can. If that is not possible, charge for your time and explain it to the customer. Unless you are well versed in this area, you can get bitten in the a$$ by this sort of deal.

Good luck.
Collapse

BVC
BVC  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks! Jan 8, 2003

Hello Everybody!

Many thanks for all your replies.

Best regards,

Benita

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

price for translations of film script in meters

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »