Fiona van der Lingen
Fiona van der Lingen
Netherlands
Local time: 00:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 7, 2002

Dear all,

I am in my final year and looking for a translation agency (in Antwerp, Belgium) where I can start my apprenticeship next January. Because I haven\'t found one yet, I was thinking of starting my own agency, but because of the bad economic times and me not being experienced in having any company what so ever, I don\'t think this is the best way to go. On the other hand, I have already been a freelancer for four years. But not on a regular basis; it\'s too much work
... See more
Dear all,

I am in my final year and looking for a translation agency (in Antwerp, Belgium) where I can start my apprenticeship next January. Because I haven\'t found one yet, I was thinking of starting my own agency, but because of the bad economic times and me not being experienced in having any company what so ever, I don\'t think this is the best way to go. On the other hand, I have already been a freelancer for four years. But not on a regular basis; it\'s too much work next to studying.

So, I was wondering if anyone could just give me some advise on how to go about this?

Or could anyone just help me during these six weeks of my apprenticeship? I mean, send me some translations to be done in the period from January 20 until February 28, 2003 and then after I send it back to you, give me some feedback. The apprenticeship isn\'t paid, or only if the company (or you???!!) wants to.

I really hope you can help me on this. By the way, I am a very hard worker and I have met all my deadlines so far.

Thank you very, very much in advance!

Fiona
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:14
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Dear Fiona Dec 8, 2002

You suffer from a disease common with most students just graduating.

My advice, since I have recently managed to get by this stage (most normal one) in my life is that you make your CV as positive and professional as possible and take some self-confidence pills and start to inform yorself. You should have in mind that you are qualified and have a sound basis to start this profession, which is not to be neglected.

The next step is to make up a list of the most prestigious an
... See more
You suffer from a disease common with most students just graduating.

My advice, since I have recently managed to get by this stage (most normal one) in my life is that you make your CV as positive and professional as possible and take some self-confidence pills and start to inform yorself. You should have in mind that you are qualified and have a sound basis to start this profession, which is not to be neglected.

The next step is to make up a list of the most prestigious and honorable translation companies and agencies in Atwerp. Try a Google search or the PP lists (with a simple search on Antwerp you will get the references you need on reliability of agencies in Antwerp). Might I add you are priviledged not only in your language combos but also in your location.

Then, you should send your CV to these agencies and companies applying for inhouse or freelance positions.

Try to lose the apprenticeship tag as it might attract people who will take advantage of you and do not make rate statements as yet. Your CV will show very clearly that you have recently graduated and that you have limited experience. It would be best for you to try an inhouse position for some time and try to learn as much business as you can from more experienced people. This is not simply a job where you translate, but you have to manage your business on your own.

All in all, good luck and choose well!
Collapse

Fiona van der Lingen
Fiona van der Lingen
Netherlands
Local time: 00:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 5, 2003

First of all, I wish you all the best for the year 2003!!

Secondly, I\'d like to thank all the people who have answered my question for the very usefull advice (I found a company to do my traineeship)!

Fiona

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for apprenticeship in Antwerp

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »