Thread poster: apancake
apancake
apancake
United States
Local time: 05:26
French to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2002

I am a freelancer who\'s been out of the business while I went to grad school (3 years), and am at a loss about \"moderate rates\" in my language pair. Things seem to have taken quite a dip in the interim. Can anyone clue me in on what is average in today\'s market?

Thanks

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:26
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Price range for French to English Nov 21, 2002

Welcome to ProZ, Amy. At least, I suppose you are new to the site if you haven\'t been translating during grad school. I can only tell you what the average rate comes out to here on ProZ, from some 680 people who have responded. I don\'t know if they live in the US, however, and I doubt it. The lowest per word is $.08 and the highest is $.20 for the French to English pair. Average per source word is $.11, based on the most frequent answer.

Now, you will probably need some US resid
... See more
Welcome to ProZ, Amy. At least, I suppose you are new to the site if you haven\'t been translating during grad school. I can only tell you what the average rate comes out to here on ProZ, from some 680 people who have responded. I don\'t know if they live in the US, however, and I doubt it. The lowest per word is $.08 and the highest is $.20 for the French to English pair. Average per source word is $.11, based on the most frequent answer.

Now, you will probably need some US residents answering, I haven\'t lived ther in years, but I do work for some US companies that pay me $.10 per source word. Maybe I\'m being taken advantage of, I really don\'t know!

Happy translating.

Gayle
Collapse

lingoage --
lingoage --
Local time: 14:56
Hindi to English
+ ...
Isn't it to high Nov 21, 2002

Hi,

We are an Translation agency and specialize in French to English only and not English to French. Our rates range from 4 to 7 cents and find the rates mentioned above very high. Is it that we are under charging??

Best Regards

Sharad Mittal

apancake
apancake
United States
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2002

Gayle,

Thank you so much for your response - my rates are well within those averages, but I had a disturbing response earlier this week from an agency in California who told me they pay .03/word for this pair - I was alarmed!

Hernan Navas
Hernan Navas
United States
Local time: 02:26
English to Spanish
What I charge in the U.S. Nov 21, 2002

My minimum fee is $.12 all the way up to $.25 per word.

lingoage --
lingoage --
Hindi to English
+ ...
it is not so Nov 22, 2002

We provide the translation after being proofread by atleast two other translators. So there are 3 translators involved in one job. And the cost is the one i mentioned above. We can offer these rates only because India has cheap skilled labour.

Sharad

Quote:

On 2002-11-21 19:01, 1964 wrote:

0.11 to 0.20 USD per word.

I think they are really what a real professional deserves. ... See more
We provide the translation after being proofread by atleast two other translators. So there are 3 translators involved in one job. And the cost is the one i mentioned above. We can offer these rates only because India has cheap skilled labour.

Sharad

Quote:

On 2002-11-21 19:01, 1964 wrote:

0.11 to 0.20 USD per word.

I think they are really what a real professional deserves.

Those done for 0.03 or similar rates may need proofreading hours and corrections even costing more than translation itself.

Collapse

emynwing (X)
emynwing (X)
English to French
+ ...
quality Nov 22, 2002

\"cheap skilled labor\" aside, you get the quality you pay for.

Don\'t undersell yourself.

lingoage --
lingoage --
Hindi to English
+ ...
It is not about underselling urself...it is about capturing the market Nov 23, 2002

hi

The strategy we use is to sell at resonable margins and keep it cheap so that we make permanant and long term clients by delivering continuously at those rates...

Sharad

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:26
English to German
+ ...
Well, now you know... Nov 23, 2002

why prices have gone down so much.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
With a grain of salt... Nov 23, 2002

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that for that price you can get qualified, mother-tongue translators (living in India) who can do flawless Canadian French into US English translations.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

U.S. rates for French to English translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »