Sending CVs is just like buying a National Lottery ticket?
Thread poster: Paola Grassi
Paola Grassi
Paola Grassi
Local time: 18:42
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 15, 2002

Dear friends,

as an in-house technical/general translator for a lift company and a bilingual magazine, I have decided to increase my income offering my skill and experience to translation agencies around the world.

I have sent a number of CVs with references via email and filled application forms on various websites.

Some agencies gave me a positive answer and told me they would add my profile to their database, BUT I HAVEN\'T RECEIVED ANY JOB up to now.
... See more
Dear friends,

as an in-house technical/general translator for a lift company and a bilingual magazine, I have decided to increase my income offering my skill and experience to translation agencies around the world.

I have sent a number of CVs with references via email and filled application forms on various websites.

Some agencies gave me a positive answer and told me they would add my profile to their database, BUT I HAVEN\'T RECEIVED ANY JOB up to now.

How long does a translator have to wait for his/her first job?

Any other hint about obtaining my first \"working\" contact with an agency (as I can prove my expertise and ability)?

Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:42
English to Dutch
+ ...
Patience is a virtue, one you'll need in this case Nov 15, 2002

Last week, I got a job from an agency I sent my cv to over a year ago! So, patience is the key word here.

You probably won\'t be receiving a lot of jobs the first few weeks. Agencies will contact you as soon as their \"regular freelancers\" don\'t have time to do a job. You\'ll have to queue up and wait your turn, I\'m afraid...

The first agencies to contact you will probably be those that are looking for cheap translators. (That\'s my experience.) Be very careful with agenci
... See more
Last week, I got a job from an agency I sent my cv to over a year ago! So, patience is the key word here.

You probably won\'t be receiving a lot of jobs the first few weeks. Agencies will contact you as soon as their \"regular freelancers\" don\'t have time to do a job. You\'ll have to queue up and wait your turn, I\'m afraid...

The first agencies to contact you will probably be those that are looking for cheap translators. (That\'s my experience.) Be very careful with agencies that only want to pay peanuts. Chances are you will never see even your money, plus: it\'s those practices that ruin the market. And since you still have your day job: it\'s not that urgent, is it? In the meantime, try finding some direct clients through your personal relations.

fwiw

Joeri
Collapse

mps1 (X)
mps1 (X)
Spain
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Europa Nov 15, 2002

I\'ve been working for 12 years as a translator and only once got a job sending my CV. Ergo, I don\'t send any more CVs. Personal realtions seem to be the way. Good luck!! I\'m sorry, I\'m not very optimistic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending CVs is just like buying a National Lottery ticket?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »