Why require that translators live in a certain country?
Thread poster: Sergio Samoilovich
Sergio Samoilovich
Sergio Samoilovich  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 8, 2002

I found many requests in Proz where the agency demands residence in the US.

What is the reason? Is it for tax purposes?

Patriotism? Cultural barriers? They do not trust foreigners?

I found some speculations in other postings about good communication within the US but they are not satisfactory for me. Today we have good internet access in very remote places.

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ahem... Oct 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-08 18:58, TwArg wrote:

Well, it could be a number of things. Maybe they don\'t want to spend money on long-distance phone calls. Or maybe they need people who are familiar with US Spanish and US English on a daily basis.

It could also be that... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-08 18:58, TwArg wrote:

Well, it could be a number of things. Maybe they don\'t want to spend money on long-distance phone calls. Or maybe they need people who are familiar with US Spanish and US English on a daily basis.

It could also be that \"dirty cheap\" translators is not what they\'re really looking for. ▲ Collapse

Michael Tovbin
Michael Tovbin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
reasons Oct 8, 2002

There could be a number of reasons:

1. Translators are easier to reach (not much time difference), easier to manage (control)

2. Translators know local realities and the way things are said and done.

3. Tax reasons (request the translator\'s social security number and submit it to tax authorities later).

And many of the others you name.

Regards

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
It depends Oct 8, 2002

Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for wanting the translator to live in a certain country (needing someone in their same time zone, or who can pay a quick visit to their office). Other times, like when an agency is asking for translators in Argentina or other countries going through a difficult economic situation, they are just trying to take advantage of this, offering rates that are way below international market levels.

Steer clear from the latter!

<
... See more
Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for wanting the translator to live in a certain country (needing someone in their same time zone, or who can pay a quick visit to their office). Other times, like when an agency is asking for translators in Argentina or other countries going through a difficult economic situation, they are just trying to take advantage of this, offering rates that are way below international market levels.

Steer clear from the latter!

Cheers,

Andrea
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
I get requests for translators in the same city Oct 8, 2002

Taxiing distance in the case of CD originals (taxis do messenger services where I live), easier phone contact, easier to remedy in case of no-show...

VAT discount is also a common financial reason.

Localisation is another common motive.

Sergio Samoilovich
Sergio Samoilovich  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Then... Oct 8, 2002

Thanks for your input. Then, in some cases, I could bypass the limitation by:

- incorporating a company in the US,

- using a representative there,

- moving there.

- re-encarnating there.

Mmmmmmmm....

Andrea, I got your message... If you are going to the Tortoni or the Tigre meetings, maybe we can talk about catching US based jobs, pricing policy, brand development, alliances
... See more

- moving there.

- re-encarnating there.

Mmmmmmmm....

Andrea, I got your message... If you are going to the Tortoni or the Tigre meetings, maybe we can talk about catching US based jobs, pricing policy, brand development, alliances and the like... Or else, write me at [email protected]...
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
sometimes... Oct 8, 2002

...it has to do with dialect.

...it has to do with taxation.

...an interpreter is required (needs to appear in person.)

...it is gov\'t work that requires a citizen of country x.

...it has to do with payment being made in the local currency (this is less of an issue in the US, as many translators will accept dollars).

From what I have seen, rarely are the reasons to require translators from a certain country superficial (patriotism, et
... See more
...it has to do with dialect.

...it has to do with taxation.

...an interpreter is required (needs to appear in person.)

...it is gov\'t work that requires a citizen of country x.

...it has to do with payment being made in the local currency (this is less of an issue in the US, as many translators will accept dollars).

From what I have seen, rarely are the reasons to require translators from a certain country superficial (patriotism, etc.) Most businesses would not limit their options without valid reasons.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
US tax id Oct 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-08 23:53, TwArg wrote:

- moving there.

- re-encarnating there.

Yes. You can also get a US tax id--I understand that this is very easy (easier, anyway than reincarnating). Has anyone done it?

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
Done what, reincarnating? Oct 9, 2002

Just joking!

I agree with Henry. Our agency goes abroad and actually prefers in-country translators for multilingual projects that are more in touch with current variances.

paola l m

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Conservative accounting practices Oct 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-09 06:27, 1964 wrote:

But sometimes, when you see some agencies accepting international recruitments/freelance work but others not even if they are in the same region.As they have the same regulations in the same region they might be expected to behave in the same way.

I mostly attribute this differences in the same region to Accounters , some of them

are more reluctant to adapt th... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-09 06:27, 1964 wrote:

But sometimes, when you see some agencies accepting international recruitments/freelance work but others not even if they are in the same region.As they have the same regulations in the same region they might be expected to behave in the same way.

I mostly attribute this differences in the same region to Accounters , some of them

are more reluctant to adapt themselves to such relatively new international working mode, adopt a conservative position.

I have run into this more than once, too, when after receiving a text and delivering the translation wholly by electronic means, the client asks me, \"we have your cheque ready, when can you drop in to pick it up?\". I have some EX-clients, who, even when they could be persuaded to deposit the fees electronically into my bank account, insisted on having me appear in person to sign certain tax forms which require the provider\'s signature.

These are generally direct clients, a reason why I prefer to work more and more only with agencies. ▲ Collapse

Melissa Field
Melissa Field  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Employer Identification Number, also known as tax i.d. Oct 9, 2002

Hello,

To apply for an Employer Identification Number, fill out the IRS form SS-4. At the IRS website, you can download instructions and the form. The instructions really give you some good tips for getting started, reporting requirements and so on.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html

Regards,

Melissa

Herbert Fipke
Herbert Fipke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:17
English to German
+ ...
High banking fees and taxes Oct 12, 2002

A couple of days ago, I had a minor translation to do which was around 50 Euro only. In this case it was a must to have a partner in the same country not only for tax reasons. If you pay 50 Euro to a foreign bank account, the participating banks already take 12 from both sides, the rest goes away to income taxes.

Thus, it would be ridiculous to contract somebody abroad. You then better take your motorbike and have a fun ride...

A job across borders should bring at
... See more
A couple of days ago, I had a minor translation to do which was around 50 Euro only. In this case it was a must to have a partner in the same country not only for tax reasons. If you pay 50 Euro to a foreign bank account, the participating banks already take 12 from both sides, the rest goes away to income taxes.

Thus, it would be ridiculous to contract somebody abroad. You then better take your motorbike and have a fun ride...

A job across borders should bring at least 500 Euro to each party to be profitable.

I doubt that somebody - especially in the translation business - is that conservative as to hire only fellow-citizens. This is an archaic way of thinking that should have been killed with Hitler and all the others.

As being self-employed, the very first question after \"Can I handle it?\" should be: Will this job be profitable? If not, leave it, if yes, find a way...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why require that translators live in a certain country?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »